'Sup Pit? So, in a couple of weeks, I'm going on a family road trip to Chicago. We'll probably stay there a few days and then head on over to NYC for a bit. So what are some fun things to do/places to visit in either of these places? Keep in mind, I'm with family, so nothing TOO crazy. Although hopefully, I can spend some time on my own and just wander around. I'm from Texas, if that makes a difference.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Well there's Millenium Park and Navy Pier in addition to the museums. If you're looking to have fun, I recommend going to a house party.... But that's really only if you know someone over here in Chicago.
Quote by PluckU
OH **** YOU says the computer, YOU MAY ONLY HAVE 1, READ IT, ONE AUDIO TRACK >:O I then i got pissed off and through my tuner against a wall
get a chicago dog/ny dog and chicago pizza/nyc pizza then declare yourself as an authority on which is better forever after.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
There's a lot of museums. Or you could see the Sears Tower, places like that.

Willis Tower
Gingers Unite
You could take the Chicago crime tour, then again, I don't think there's an official one. When I was there my uncle who's an expert on crime history showed me all the famous spots like the St. Valentine's Day Massacre (there isn't even a plaque or anything there) and the Biograph Theater (where Dillinger was gunned down).
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Go to the Empire State Building. I went for the first time myself a little over a week ago and while that whole area's absolutely congested with tourists, it is an awe-inspiring sight. You'll feel proud to be a member of the species that built this thing.
The architecture water tour in Chicago is incredible during the summer. Walk around the Magnificent Mile for a few hours. Highly underrated activity, and everyone does it. Go to Navy Pier. Last time I was there, they had the Shanghai Cirque De Soleil and it was amazing. Also, go to Ken's Diner in Skokie (a Chicago suburb). Some of the BEST food I have eaten in my entire life, and I've been to some of the best restaurants in NYC.

There are also a shitload of awesome museums there, if you're into that. I'm not a big museum guy, but Shedd Aquarium is amazing, as is the Field Museum and many others.

By the way, tall buildings are overrated.

In NYC, go to the Natural History Museum, hit up Times Square (overrated, but obligatory). I sometimes go tourist watching in Times Square. You can always tell a tourist by the angle of their head. If it's pointed up, tourist. If not, local. There are a ton of free concerts in the summer, go to Central Park and Bryant Park, and just stroll around. It's one of the greatest cities on the planet, and the total experience of NYC is worth more than just the sum of the activities. I'd just walk around for a few hours, like on Broadway/34th.

/has lived in both places
Quote by trueamerican
You can always tell a tourist by the angle of their head. If it's pointed up, tourist. If not, local.

Nah, I've lived in new york since I was 5, the city still amazes me.

TS, get great pizza from both places. Find out exactly how much better New York pizza is than Chicago pizza.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely try to work some of these things into my time there. But I like what trueamerican said... I would really enjoy to just kind walk around and take in the sights. I'd probably look like a n00b tourist, but **** it.
Quote by carlos_almighty
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely try to work some of these things into my time there. But I like what trueamerican said... I would really enjoy to just kind walk around and take in the sights. I'd probably look like a n00b tourist, but **** it.

Who gives a shit if you're a tourist? **** the haters, amazing shit is amazing shit.

If you want food recommendations, I know some of the best spots in NYC. A lot of them aren't exactly hidden gem types, but people who don't live there don't really know about them.

Artichoke Pizza- Union Square. This place has incredible pizza. It's not true foldable NYC style, but it's incredible. It is, however, on the expensive side, though the slices are enormous and filling. The one in Union Square is the best one, though there are others. I went for lunch on a weekend with a friend and there was no line. But this place can get really busy.
Balthazar Bakery- one of the best bakeries in the entire world. Their factory bakery (not an actual factory, it just means they make huge amounts, though the quality doesn't suffer, trust me) supplies bread and pastries to all the best restaurants in NYC (arguably the best food city in the world).
Food carts- you have to get a rice platter if you go to NYC. Chicken and rice or lamb and rice, you have to have one.
Bareburger- one of the best burger joints out there, prices are really decent and you can get all kinds of creative burgers, awesome sides and appetizers, and you can choose beef, bison, elk, chicken, turkey, and ostrich meat as the meat. Get the pickle platter. It's ridiculous.
Bubba Gump in Times Square- a bit overpriced and touristy, but a window seat in Bubba Gump's for some nice shrimp and a decent view is worth it.

I seem to be blanking on places in Chicago and all the rest in NYC (I'd recommend some BBQ joints, but I bet you have enough in Texas, if there is enough when it comes to BBQ ) other than Ken's, but once you go there, you'll want to eat there every day for the rest of your life. Trust me. And there's a good bakery right next door as well
Quote by trueamerican
Who gives a shit if you're a tourist? **** the haters, amazing shit is amazing shit.

If you want food recommendations, I know some of the best spots in NYC. A lot of them aren't exactly hidden gem types, but people who don't live there don't really know about them.

*LOTS 'O GOODASS FOOD*

I seem to be blanking on places in Chicago and all the rest in NYC (I'd recommend some BBQ joints, but I bet you have enough in Texas, if there is enough when it comes to BBQ ) other than Ken's, but once you go there, you'll want to eat there every day for the rest of your life. Trust me. And there's a good bakery right next door as well

Thanks very much.
Now I wanna walk around and just eat eat until my stomach bursts.
You're welcome bro there are many, many awesome food places in NYC and Chicago. Two of the greatest food cities in the world.
I was in Chicago last week to visit and i had a good time... best stuff in my opinion... Shedd Aquarium is definitely worth some time, although be prepared, the line to get in is usually about an hour long and getting in prices are between $30 and $50 depending on what you wanna do. The Field Museum i haven't gone to but i heard its great... Navy Pier was also fun, i heard the ShoreLine Tours that go off from there are great, and that circus thing thats on their Pepsi stage down there is great, $16 adult tickets i think.

Make sure to look at the fountain in Millennium Park, its super cool/creepy.
And if you feel like a straight-up G then ride the Metra downtown, the L. Listening to people chat on there is gold, and great transportation.
I once drove to Chicago in a van, with my friend.

We slept in parking lots, but I didn't mind.
Quote by fearofthemark
Nah, I've lived in new york since I was 5, the city still amazes me.

TS, get great pizza from both places. Find out exactly how much better New York pizza is than Chicago pizza.

Chicago pizza is weird, but when you see it you'll realize why some people call it "pizza pie".
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by crazy8rgood
I once drove to Chicago in a van, with my friend.

We slept in parking lots, but I didn't mind.

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Stare at this for hours and try to figure out it's purpose.
UG Radio

Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Thine Behold one rollin?
Quote by _T_H_R_I_C_E_
Lo, and the other lads be hating,
gallyvanting around,
attempting to catch me cycling in an unsavory fashion.

XBL: Panzyz

PSN: Dasan104
The **** is that thing?
Eat at Giordannos pizzaria! And get shot in both cities and compare which one was more hardcore.

^It's a goddamn bean made of titanium! (it really is)
UG Radio

Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Thine Behold one rollin?
Quote by _T_H_R_I_C_E_
Lo, and the other lads be hating,
gallyvanting around,
attempting to catch me cycling in an unsavory fashion.

XBL: Panzyz

PSN: Dasan104
Quote by carlos_almighty
The **** is that thing?

Enormous. And really ****ing cool, as is the park around it.
Quote by darklite41
Eat at Giordannos pizzaria! And get shot in both cities and compare which one was more hardcore.

^It's a goddamn bean made of titanium! (it really is)

I was under the impression that NY was more of a stabbing place.
And that bean looks like a space ship. Like there's some sort of "Men in Black" story behind it.
Quote by carlos_almighty
'Sup Pit? So, in a couple of weeks, I'm going on a family road trip to Chicago. We'll probably stay there a few days and then head on over to NYC for a bit. So what are some fun things to do/places to visit in either of these places? Keep in mind, I'm with family, so nothing TOO crazy. Although hopefully, I can spend some time on my own and just wander around. I'm from Texas, if that makes a difference.

A Texan going to Chicago? Small world I may be going tomorrow. Moving there later this year.

If you go for Chicago pizza, avoid making the tourist mistake and don't go to Pizzeria Uno. Giordano's is way better. At least that's what the locals tell me.

Be sure to get a good Chicago dog too. Just walk the streets downtown until you can find a hot dog shop. That's what I did.
I've only been to NY.

I usually just walked around and shopped/ate. I also watched a show called "bloody bloody andrew jackson" or something like that. I should have skipped the statue of Liberty. It was pretty boring.

I had a great time though. The alfredo in Little Italy was amaaazzziinngg.
Last edited by djentman at Jul 2, 2011,