Hi guys. I want to get an ART Sla-1 power amp to power my Eleven Rack. I have a Peavey Vypyr tube 60 (converted to a head) which has a 16 ohm out. I run it through a 2x12 cab with 2 x 8 ohm speakers in series = 16 ohm.

I want to use both my Vypyr and the Sla-1 power amp (not at the same time). Will this be a problem? It looks like it will take a 16ohm load if I bridge it.

This is just for my home studio.

Thanks in advance!

Here's the .pdf:

http://www.artproaudio.com/downloads/manuals/omsla1.pdf

Here's specs at the back of the manual:

Stereo Output Power, 8 ohms 100Watts RMS per Channel,
Stereo Output Power, 4 ohms 130Watts RMS per Channel
Stereo Output Power, 16 ohms 55Watts RMS per Channel
Stereo Output Power, 5.5 ohms 114Watts per Ch, 25V line, unbalanced, direct
Bridged Output Power, 8 ohms 260Watts RMS mono
Bridged Output Power, 16 ohms 175Watts RMS mono
Bridged Output Power, 28 ohms 175Watts mono, 70V line, balanced, direct
Minimum Load Impedance, Stereo 4 ohms (normal operation) , stable to 2 ohms
Minimum Load Impedance, Mono 8 ohms (normal operation) , stable to 4 ohms
I'm sure it would work fine as long as you match the impedance, and not overload the cab with its wattage.

Does the cab have stereo? Looks like the bridged mono of the Sla-1 is 175 watts. 2x12 cabs with that much wattage are rare.

Be sure to match it as much as possible.

Also, have you ever thought of picking some other Power Amp instead like a Carvin TS100?
might i say, great info provided, thx

Quote by JackoMBA
Hi guys. I want to get an ART Sla-1 power amp to power my Eleven Rack. I have a Peavey Vypyr tube 60 (converted to a head) which has a 16 ohm out. I run it through a 2x12 cab with 2 x 8 ohm speakers in series = 16 ohm.

alright, are you planing on running these into the cab at the same time? you won't want to run both amps into both jacks on the cab (assuming your cab has two jacks). the reason for 2 jacks on a cab is for daisy chaining cabs, not for running 2 amps into the cab (unless it is wired for stereo.

Quote by JackoMBA
I want to use both my Vypyr and the Sla-1 power amp (not at the same time). Will this be a problem? It looks like it will take a 16ohm load if I bridge it.

your art appears to be solid state. then you should have no problems using that cab with both amps. just make sure your speakers can handle the power output.

edit: @syriel: these are solid state amps so you don't need to match the impedance (there is no output transformer), just make sure you meet min impedance
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by gumbilicious
alright, are you planing on running these into the cab at the same time? you won't want to run both amps into both jacks on the cab (assuming your cab has two jacks). the reason for 2 jacks on a cab is for daisy chaining cabs, not for running 2 amps into the cab (unless it is wired for stereo)

I guess he wants to run both and just A/B.

And yeah I just realized about the SS thing.
I built the cab myself. It runs 2 Eminence Texas Heat which are 150 watt 8 ohms. Do you add up the wattage, or is there some other relationship between them?

By the way, here's my rig (I'm using Studio monitors to power the Eleven Rack - I just want a power amp to blast it when the family is not in the house )

Quote by Syriel
I'm sure it would work fine as long as you match the impedance, and not overload the cab with its wattage.

Does the cab have stereo? Looks like the bridged mono of the Sla-1 is 175 watts. 2x12 cabs with that much wattage are rare.

Be sure to match it as much as possible.

Also, have you ever thought of picking some other Power Amp instead like a Carvin TS100?
Last edited by JackoMBA at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by JackoMBA
I built the cab myself. It runs 2 Eminence Texas Heat which are 150 watt 8 ohms. Do you add up the wattage, or is there some other relationship between them?

Then I guess you're fine. And ignore me saying that you have to match the impedance of your Art. Its SS so you don't have to. Just make sure you set it to matching wattage.

Heck you can keep it at the right impedance since you have two 150W speakers so they would be fine.

EDIT : BEAUTIFUL rig btw. I love em white.
agreed, nice rig. that is sweet looking. gotta love white

looks like you are running the right speakers for such a setup. btw, the simple way to find power handling of a cab (assuming they are all the same speaker) is to add the power handling of each speaker.

if it runs different speakers then you use this formula

cab power handling = (y)*(n)

where y is the power handling of the lowest power handling speaker
where n is the number of speakers in the cab

and to A/B the cabs safely use

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/radial-engineering-tonebone-headbone-ss-switcher-for-solid-state-amps/153926000000000
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 1, 2011,
Update:

I bought a ART SLA-1 power amp to run my Eleven Rack through my 2x12 cab. It works great! Thanks for all the help.

I also tried to run my Eleven Rack through my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60's Auxiliary input jack. Oddly enough, I might like the set up through the Vypyr a bit more. It sounds/feels a bit warmer and more like my Vypyr sounds ... hey! don't knock it 'til your try it. Might be the tube thing going on; the SLA-1 is solid state.

I ran a favorite high gain patch to compare. I'll have to do the same thing with mid level crunch and clean sounds. I'll have to see if I want to keep the SLA-1 and use the $250 somewhere else.