Not sure how well I did this but I gave it a go. Any help is appreciated.
A
Ok so the intro starts by playing a 4-5-1 resolving to an E major chord. There is then a lick Alex plays using A harmonic Minor. With this, He revolves around the notes of an E chord using the b3 and 3, the flattens the seventh of A(third of E) and plays notes from a G7, then plays notes from an A minor, then then lands on an F chord and resolves to C.
B
The B section is just an arpeggiated Cmaj9 on guitar. I think the synth and bass are just playing notes from the C major scale over this.
C
The first part of this section starts with a C major chord going to an A major, and then a lick that implies that a G major chord is being played after A major. After playing this a couples times, the chords D major, E major and back to D major are played, and resolve to A. This is switching the key to A major(I think) and you can tell when there is tension the next time a C chord is played.

D
So the next riff goes from a C to a Gb Major. So I think this tritone comes from the fact that Gb is the bb7th of A, and C is the flat 3rd of A, two notes that belong to A diminished, and ultimately tying these chords back to the tonal center. Over this I think Alex just plays C major with the proper accidentals thrown in for Gb Major. This section ends with and F major going to and A major a couple of times. I think the F major chord comes from A minor, the parallel minor of A major. The section is finished with the sounding of an A minor chord, and switches the key from A major to A minor.
E
The solo just switches between A minor and F major, and Alex solos them with an A natural minor scale with some chromatic passing tones in his last two fast runs. The solo ends with a Cmajor9 arrpegio being played over and F major chord. I'm not sure what is going on with that part. I guess I'd call it an F6add9. I played a regular F6add9:
e--1
B--1
G--0
D--0
A--0
E--1

and this resolved nicely into an A minor chord. Over the A minor chord an A minor 11 arpeggio is played. So it is visible that the D is helping to tie the two chords together(D is the 9th of F, and 11th of A).

F
In the is section I believe Is going from an A diminished chord to a F diminished chord.
Here is the riff that makes up this section
A----7-6--------5-3----3--2--
E-5-------------------5--------

I'm not sure if A and F diminished are the chords. But the A and Eb(A diminished)in the first part are emphasized and lie on the beat. Also the Ebb and the Cb(F diminished lie on the beat and are emphasized as well. However, Alex seems to be playing an A natural minor scale, with the b5, and just hits the in key chord tones of both chords(except the the b5 of A). Geddy seems to be doing the same thing on the bass when he has those short little solo breaks in this section.
After this, they play An A5 chord at the 12th fret A string and chromatically walk down the A5 chord and octave lower. Harmonically, I think this just provides some quick tension and release, but adds nothing to the chord progression. A G chord is then played, followed by a C chord, so nothing strange there as those two are diatonic to A minor.
An A5 chord is then played(5th string 12th fret)and chromatically walks down to an E7, followed by a D major, followed by a G major. So the E(5th of A) goes down to the D(4th of A), and the D resolves down a fifth to the G(b7th of A). Then Alex ascends the A minor pentatonic and resolves the E7, D major, G major, to A. So it's really a V-IV-bVII-I. Then a G major goes to C major which goes to A.

D
The song goes back to the D section, and this time Alex solos over it. I'm sure what Alex is doing here, because I haven't transcribed all of this solo yet. I've done a bit of it, and I don't think he's playing what he did in the first section. I'm not sure about this but it seems like he's playing over some C scale with a 2, b3, 3, 4, b5, 5, 6, b7, and 7. Then over the Gb major he adds in Db, which he might play over the C I'm not sure, again I only transcribed a couple licks. So some help on this would be greatly appreciated.

G
This section plays an A major chord, G major, and then back to A major. Then it goes D major, E7, B minor, and D major, E7, and G major. Besides being diatonic, the B minor is the third of G, and G is the current point of tension, and sounds like it B also creates tension.

It would be great if I could get some help on the parts that I wasn't sure about, or parts that you think may be wrong.
Last edited by WalrusNutFart at Jul 1, 2011,
is this your homework by any chance or are you doing this for fun? not trying to be a dick or anything just a genuine question.
Last edited by musicandthewave at Jul 2, 2011,
I'm not doing this for homework. I guess you could say I'm doing this for fun, but I think it helps a lot to understand what is going on in songs so that you can understand how music works. Then you can apply that in what ever way you want to your own playing. So I guess the fun is being able to apply what I learn to my playing.
From listening to the intro, it's an implied ii V I, it's ambiguous though as he keeps resolving to an E power chord. The fast passage afterwards seems to lead to a interrupted cadence in A minor after which a C tonality is implied. Pretty strange, it is Rush though.