Page 1 of 2
Is there anything I should know before I get to basic training? Things to do/not to do? I ship on the 5th.

I know the USAF has the easiest training (physically), so I'm not to worried on that front. But I still find myself sort of nervous/anxious. :/

Any advice for me?
Last edited by GogglesVK at Jul 1, 2011,
I tried to enlist but got denied Anyway, research it, you have to be able to run something like 3 miles in like ten minutes. Enlisting isn't all there is to it. You have to pass a test before boot camp so I'd actually get in shape. You have to do something like 30 situps in a minute and 20 pushups in a minute and be able to run 3 miles in ten minutes. Then you do bootcamp. It's not just hugely easy, but hey you get basically free college, Air Force is the only branch of the military to require schooling during their enlistment time, and they have a community college on all their bases.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
I'm in the Air Force. Depends a lot on what you do, some jobs like mine are significantly more physical than others. Just do your best always, don't quit and understand your place in things.
Quote by tayroar
you have to be able to run something like 3 miles in like ten minutes. .

WHAT THE ****.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
My little brother is in the Air Force. He is making a career out of it. He works on nukes in North Dakota where it is flooding. He likes it so will you. Good luck!
Get a haircut. I know they probably will just have you cut it anyway. But it certainly wouldn't hurt, huh?

Oh, and don't eyeball the NCOs. It's not a mark of respect in the military.
Quote by MattAnderson111
WHAT THE ****.

It's the military. You're expected to potentially have to fight people to the death, I would think running might be a possible necessity.
Quote by MattAnderson111
WHAT THE ****.

Yeah there's no way he's right.

Quote by tayroar
It's the military. You're expected to potentially have to fight people to the death, I would think running might be a possible necessity.

Fifteen minutes, maybe. Ten minutes? Not really possible.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by tayroar

considering the 4 minute mile was considered a huge deal when it was first done, I'm guessing that they don't expect triple the distance in just over double the time.

3:26 is the 1500m record (less than a mile)

3 world record runs would be longer than 10 minutes and that doesn't account for slowdown.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Jul 1, 2011,
Quote by tayroar
you have to be able to run something like 3 miles in like ten minutes.

You have to be the fastest person on the face on the planet.
The future is no place to place your better days
Quote by tayroar

Three miles in ten minutes? That's a mile every 3.33 minutes, which has never even been close to being done by the best runners in the world, let alone three in a row.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Lemoninfluence
considering the 4 minute mile was considered a huge deal when it was first done, I'm guessing that they don't expect triple the distance in just over double the time.

3:26 is the 1500m record (less than a mile)

3 world record runs would be longer than 10 minutes and that doesn't account for slowdown.

Yeah I'm probably wrong. I think my recruiter didn't want to deal with me so he told me that and tried to make me do it. That kind of sucks now, ah well, I stopped giving a **** after I got rejected. Its alot of paperwork for him to deal with a depression patient so I think he just didn't want to do it.
Quote by tayroar
run 3 miles in ten minutes. .

the maths

3 miles= 4.8km

10 minutes= 600 seconds

4800/600 =8m/sec
8m/sec*3.6= 28.8km/h
= 17.28mph

olympic runner, say 100m in 10sec =36km/h, for an incredibly short time period
the world record for 5km (3.1 miles) is 12:32

i doubt the 3miles in ten minutes
individually, ants have an IQ less than one
together, as a nest, they have a collective intelligence greater than most humans

reminds me of Australians
Quote by tayroar
Yeah I'm probably wrong. I think my recruiter didn't want to deal with me so he told me that and tried to make me do it. That kind of sucks now, ah well, I stopped giving a **** after I got rejected. Its alot of paperwork for him to deal with a depression patient so I think he just didn't want to do it.

Step 1: Say something wrong.
Step 2: Defend it.
Step 3: Not intended to be a factual statement.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Reisgar42
Step 1: Say something wrong.
Step 2: Defend it.
Step 3: Not intended to be a factual statement.

I didn't say it wasn't a factual statement, I'm just saying that's what I was told, and I could be wrong. I can admit I'm wrong.
Quote by tayroar
I tried to enlist but got denied Anyway, research it, you have to be able to run something like 3 miles in like ten minutes. Enlisting isn't all there is to it. You have to pass a test before boot camp so I'd actually get in shape. You have to do something like 30 situps in a minute and 20 pushups in a minute and be able to run 3 miles in ten minutes. Then you do bootcamp. It's not just hugely easy, but hey you get basically free college, Air Force is the only branch of the military to require schooling during their enlistment time, and they have a community college on all their bases.

I did more than 30 situps/20 pressups in a minute for rugby training when I was like fucking twelve. And 3 miles in 10 minutes is... probably impossible.
Congrats dude... Thank you for your future service...
Quote by arsonite
I flash my ridiculously white teeth at you in contempt Sir!

Quote by son_of_bodom

OT: variety is the spice of life, my genitals don't discriminate on the basis of religion.
Listen to your Training Instructor. Do as he tells you.

Know your left from your right.

Don't volunteer for anything during Basic.

If they make you a "rope" during Basic or tech school, don't let it go to your head - after those two events are done, having been a "rope" means absolutely nothing.

Don't fall asleep during "fire watch" in Basic.

Don't look at the T.I.s in the snake pit as you walk past them. The snake pit is where the T.I.s eat meals at the chow hall in Basic.

If you're the partying type and you're old enough to drink, keep it under control while in tech school - the worst thing you can do is wash out... in other words, fail.

Hopefully you went in with a guaranteed job.

Study hard in tech school - the pace is fast.

Relax. Your first duty station is nothing like Basic or tech school.

Enjoy. 20 years go by in the blink of an eye.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
I did more than 30 situps/20 pressups in a minute for rugby training when I was like fucking twelve. And 3 miles in 10 minutes is... probably impossible.

Well it is the Chair Force so you know....
Quote by Cat Of Pain
Bob, you're my hero.

Quote by borntorock2112
If drugs were PP points, I'd be using struggle.

Quote by illuminatiano

YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
I did more than 30 situps/20 pressups in a minute for rugby training when I was like twelve. And 3 miles in 10 minutes is... probably impossible.

Relax. The Air Force only does a mile and a half for their physical fitness tests. They also do pushups, situps and take your weight. It's a little more strenuous than it used to be, but if you stay in shape, you can pass.

Edit: The exam is scored, so it's wise to keep in shape throughout the year. Most Bases allow time to go to the gym or track. Use it.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jul 1, 2011,
Never put your hand up. Don't give them a reason to know your name.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by 3rdWardSoldier
Well it is the Chair Force so you know....

Of the various branches, the Air Force is among the best. Chair Force? Beats the ditch digging Army. Seriously. If you have the ASVAB score, the Air Force or Navy are the two best branches. Enter the military with the idea that you're getting training for a civilian career, either when you retire or after your first or second term. With that goal in mind, the AF and Navy offer the best opportunities.

Now then, if your ASVAB score is less than stellar, there's always the Army or Marines. The idea of being a ditch digger or mercenary never much appealed to me. I'll take what I do any day of the week, along with the pay that goes with it.
A challenger appears.
It's a wild zoomie.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
No. I'm quite tame.

Although quite retired, I'm still a zoomie at heart. Always will be. It's in my blood.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Of the various branches, the Air Force is among the best. Chair Force? Beats the ditch digging Army. Seriously. If you have the ASVAB score, the Air Force or Navy are the two best branches. Enter the military with the idea that you're getting training for a civilian career, either when you retire or after your first or second term. With that goal in mind, the AF and Navy offer the best opportunities.

Now then, if your ASVAB score is less than stellar, there's always the Army or Marines. The idea of being a ditch digger or mercenary never much appealed to me. I'll take what I do any day of the week, along with the pay that goes with it.

There definitely are people the Army and Marines appeal to, but yeah you're right. For skills that translate to the civilian work force Air Force and Navy are the best. But really, saying you have military experience makes you more hirable, no matter what your skills.
I agree. I knew guys who couldn't get into the Air Force or Navy, so the other two were their only option. I've also known guys who could get into the AF or Navy, but went into one of the other two services. These guys tend to make rank fast, because they're a little bit smarter than your average ground pounder. I knew one guy who'd been in all four branches over his career.

Having military experience is a HUGE plus in the job market. Not only does it mean you have a skill, but it also means you're likely to be more responsible and able to handle more. Employers love ex-military folks. Also, being in the military opens more doors job-wise.
Quote by KG6_Steven
No. I'm quite tame.

Although quite retired, I'm still a zoomie at heart. Always will be. It's in my blood.

But Army is where it's at.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by due 07
The ASVAB is a joke.

It may be a joke, but it's your ticket to the job of your choice. Screw up the ASVAB and you're either handing out basketballs at the gym, or saying "hello, Marines."
Quote by Jackal58

But Army is where it's at.

I believe we have an ol' ground pounder here!

Well, to each his own. My guitar instructor is ex-Army. He played in the Army Band for almost his entire career. He knows guitar inside and out, backwards and forwards. Currently trying to expand my guitar vocabulary - taking jazz lessons.
Quote by KG6_Steven
It may be a joke, but it's your ticket to the job of your choice. Screw up the ASVAB and you're either handing out basketballs at the gym, or saying "hello, Marines."

Yeah, but Marines are weird, they love their job usually.
Quote by KG6_Steven
I believe we have an ol' ground pounder here!

Well, to each his own. My guitar instructor is ex-Army. He played in the Army Band for almost his entire career. He knows guitar inside and out, backwards and forwards. Currently trying to expand my guitar vocabulary - taking jazz lessons.

Airborne infantry at your service sir. But that was a long time ago. I didn't play in the band. But I do love jazz.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Airborne infantry at your service sir. But that was a long time ago. I didn't play in the band. But I do love jazz.

Him calling you a ground pounder and you being in the airborne gave me an image of you jumping out of planes and doing that move in video games where you fall really hard.
Page 1 of 2