Hey.

So, when I first started learning guitar, I never really got the hang of alternate picking. It just seemed weird to skip over to the outside/otherside of a string, when I could just go the shorter route by picking it with another down stroke (economy picking). So, I use economy picking for basically everything. It just came naturally.

What I am wondering, is if this is a problem. Should I learn to alternate pick? Is it worth the time and effort of practicing it, or should I just stick to economy picking? Mind you, my picking isn't the fastest out there, and I need to practice fast runs (speed picking). Would knowing/being able to play alt. picking be an advantage here?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks.
Economy picking makes use of alternate picking. If you are using up and down strokes already, the only real reason to get better at just alternate picking is to work on your technique at it and to get good at it for making a specific sound. Sometimes alternate picking everything sounds more aggressive than using economy or sweeps or legato all the time.
Quote by metallica55564
What I am wondering, is if this is a problem. Should I learn to alternate pick? Is it worth the time and effort of practicing it, or should I just stick to economy picking? Mind you, my picking isn't the fastest out there, and I need to practice fast runs (speed picking). Would knowing/being able to play alt. picking be an advantage here?

That's up to you. You gotta ask yourself is it worth the enormous time and effort, or are you just fine staying as-is?
I ran into the same problem and decided to go back and learn to alternate pick correctly.

I will say it is a bitch to learn after you been playing for a long time without it.
You're the one who's gonna have to put in that work... so only you can decide if it's something you want to pursue.
Quote by metallica55564
Hey.

So, when I first started learning guitar, I never really got the hang of alternate picking. It just seemed weird to skip over to the outside/otherside of a string, when I could just go the shorter route by picking it with another down stroke (economy picking). So, I use economy picking for basically everything. It just came naturally.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks.

Alternate picking and economy picking are only different when you switch strings. There is no difference otherwise. The "economy" part of economy picking is that fluid second upstroke or downstroke to the next string.

There is a difference in sound between the two, but only when you change strings. At higher speeds, a player using economy picking sounds more fluid (almost a classical legato sound, really) when switching strings whereas a player using alternate picking sounds more stacatto when changing strings. The only time you will hear a real difference is when changing strings. That's it.

There are times when economy picking is possibly inferior to alternate picking. I know that a lot of Paul Gilbert-style string skipping arpeggios are easier to use outside picking as opposed to an economy picking motion for some people (myself included). Aside from that, I really can't think of any times when alternate picking is really any better.

As long as you can keep time consistently and play fluently, there really isn't much pressing need to learn to alternate pick as opposed to economy picking.