Recently I've been trying to practice 8th notes with alternate picking, so I tried to learn the riff for snow (hey oh) by rhcp.

Now while I can play the riff properly slowly, using the metronome, I can't seem to find the correct timing to play the notes.

So normally counting 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 would be how to count it, but even at like 40 -50 bpm during the 'and's I seem to lose the timing always and miss the correct notes on the 1/2/3/4s.

The same thing happens with scales when I try eighth notes with them.

Does anyone have any tips in overcoming this or is this just a "keep carrying on" sort of exercise?

(I've been practicing these 8th notes for over a month now with the same result every time)
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
well firstly that riff is 16th notes, and secondly there's no need for it to be alternate picking- in fact, you're probably making it harder for yourself by doing so.

Using your metronome, stomp your foot or slap your leg with your hand that same time as the beeps/ticks/whatever sound it makes. Then once you're locked in with that rhythm, try and "halve" it by stomping on the "and" inbetween the beeps. Then try it with guitar. Play a note- any note- on the beeps, then halve it so you're playing twice as many notes.

Metronomes can be tricky at first if you're unsure, but keep practising and you WILL get it
Quote by SilverSpurs616
well firstly that riff is 16th notes, and secondly there's no need for it to be alternate picking- in fact, you're probably making it harder for yourself by doing so.

I was starting slowly! :P

Quote by SilverSpurs616

Using your metronome, stomp your foot or slap your leg with your hand that same time as the beeps/ticks/whatever sound it makes. Then once you're locked in with that rhythm, try and "halve" it by stomping on the "and" inbetween the beeps. Then try it with guitar. Play a note- any note- on the beeps, then halve it so you're playing twice as many notes.

Metronomes can be tricky at first if you're unsure, but keep practising and you WILL get it

I guess it's a try until I succeed thing, it's just a little awkward to do. But I will succeed!

Thanks for you advice.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant