I have a strat copy with an HSH pickup configuration, and I would like to make the instrument slightly more versatile. More specifically, I would like to get a neck pickup tone/output from the middle single coil without rewiring the guitar or moving pickups to different positions. Is it possible to modify the pickup selector to achieve this? If so, how would this be done?
yeah, so if i understand correctly, you want the center position of your switch to be your neck pickup. open it up, un-solder the middle and neck pickup leads from the switch and swap them and re-solder.
What I'm wanting is for both the middle and the neck position pickups to sound as if they were in the neck position. Here's a very crude diagram.

The usual 3-way blade switch:

Neck - Middle - Bridge

My conceptual modification:

Neck - Neck - Bridge
Trying to understand... you want your middle single coil to sound like it would if it was in the neck position? Without physically being in the neck position. If I'm getting this then the toggle switch has nothing to do with it. Try finding some lower output single coils that might give you a warmer tone and swap them out.
*insert witty statement here*
Last edited by metalhead352 at Jul 2, 2011,
Quote by Drache Wachter
What I'm wanting is for both the middle and the neck position pickups to sound as if they were in the neck position. Here's a very crude diagram.

The usual 3-way blade switch:

Neck - Middle - Bridge

My conceptual modification:

Neck - Neck - Bridge

why would you want to do that?

also, guitars with HSH configurations have 5-way switches, not 3.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jul 2, 2011,
The 5-way switch it came with developed a problem, so I replaced it with a 3-way switch.

And my reasoning for wanting to perform this mod is because it would allow me to access both humbucker tone and single coil tone, both with neck position-like tone, without the requirement of further modifying the instrument and installing a coil tap.
i have no idea what you're asking

the middle pickup sounds like a middle pickup.

the neck pickup sounds like a neck pickup.

unless you want to rewire your guitar to have a 2 way switch that does neck and bridge...

your request is hella confusing.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Drache Wachter
The 5-way switch it came with developed a problem, so I replaced it with a 3-way switch.

And my reasoning for wanting to perform this mod is because it would allow me to access both humbucker tone and single coil tone, both with neck position-like tone, without the requirement of further modifying the instrument and installing a coil tap.

all those switches let you do is select which pickup is being used at which position on the switch. You can make it Neck-Neck-Bridge, but the two necks would sound identical.

What I did with my HSH is that I changed it from:

Neck- neck and middle - middle - middle and bridge - bridge

to:

neck - neck and bridge - bridge - middle and bridge - middle

because I wanted to be able to use my neck and bridge at the same time. You can do things like that, but you aren't able to change the tone of the guitar itself.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I understand that this is confusing. Let me see if I can clarify.

If I'm not mistaken, the different positions on the selector switch modify the output of the pickups. I have the same model pickup in the bridge and neck positions of my guitar, and they give me two different tones. On my guitar, I would like to be able to access both humbucker tones and single-coil tones in the neck position. I am hoping to modify the middle position of the switch to act like a second neck position rather than a middle position. Does this help?
No, the switch only switches which pickups are in operation, they don't modify the output. It's the position and the pole-pieces which affect the tone and output.

muledit:Unless the below is what you want to do, that is possible
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Are you saying that you want the switch to select Neck humbucker-neck single coil-bridge? That is possible. (and visa versa)

That is exactly what I want to do. My apologies for the confusing explanation. How would I modify my switch in this way?
Find the wire going from the middle pickup to the switch, and the neck pickup to the switch, and swap them over. Problem solved!
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Quote by Rossmillertarn!
Find the wire going from the middle pickup to the switch, and the neck pickup to the switch, and swap them over. Problem solved!

That's not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to modify the switch itself to transform the middle position into a second neck position.
Quote by Drache Wachter
That is exactly what I want to do. My apologies for the confusing explanation. How would I modify my switch in this way?

Ok so what you are trying to do is this:
Bridge - Neck Single Coil - Neck Humbucker
??
That's coil tapping, which you said you don't want...
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Jul 4, 2011,
Remove the neck and middle pickups.
Router a large circle, large enough to go around both pickups, with the center of circle midway between the pickups.
Put a lazy-susan in the hole.
Mount your pickups on the lazy-susan, with extra long wires.

The only way to make the middle pickup sound like it is at the neck is to move it to the neck. The stings actually vibrate differently at different points. For example, if your pickup is 1/4 of the way from bridge to nut, it will have a difficult time picking up the 3rd harmonic.

Perhaps if you define your problem using relative terms instead of similies someone can offer a suggestion on how to make it happen. For example, "I want a warmer sound" "I want to emphasize the lower notes". Then there's the really technical terms that most people dont understand, like measuring specific parts of the sound envelope (attack, duration, sustain and release) and specifying their curvature properties. Yeah, I'm way beyond what I really know.
Once again, I apologize for the lack of detail. Until now I haven't had much time on the computer to fully explain what I'm looking for.

I am aware that the pickup selector switch modifies the output of each pickup. If the same pickup is in each position, it will possess different tone in each position. I want to modify the connections in the middle position of the switch to resemble those of the neck position, resulting in a warmer, deeper tone. Can this be performed?
Quote by Drache Wachter
I am aware that the pickup selector switch modifies the output of each pickup.

If you are saying what I think you are than this is not true.
The pickup selector switch modifies which pickup is active. It can also be setup to modify which humbucker coils are active - ie coil splitting, and how they are connected [for lack of a better word] - ie in series or parallel.

Although coil splitting and running humbuckers in parallel does change the output, it doesn't seem to be what you want.

What changes the sound of a pickup in the bridge and neck is
a) how they are wound [bridge pickups are usually wound for higher out put - even if they are the same model as in the neck]
b) Position - the positioning of the pickup alters the sound. The bridge tone is brighter.
The switch does not change these things. Indeed, most switches just change which pickup is active.

Hopefully this clears it up for you. In essence what you seem to want is impossible.

Quote by Drache Wachter
I would like to be able to access both humbucker tones and single-coil tones in the neck position

This is possible, and called coil splitting.

Quote by Drache Wachter
I would like to get a neck pickup tone/output from the middle single coil without rewiring the guitar or moving pickups to different positions

Coil splitting requires rewiring the pickup however.

Any mod you do will require some rewiring.

Now if you want this setup:
Bridge - Neck Humbucker - Neck Single Coil
Then you will need to rewire the neck pickup and you won't be using the middle pickup at all. Instead you will just be using one coil of the neck humbucker in the last position.
RIP Gooze

cats
how is this hard to understand.

the tone of the pickup is due to where the pickup is.

the switch doesn't do anything to do the tone of the pickup.

all it does is select which pickup is working.

get it?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
if the switch would change anything to the sound, why would you have different pickups? it could work with only one...

but for your question: you could SPLIT the neckhumbucker, you see it has two coils (it looks like 2 singlecoils right?) you could "turn one off" so you get a neck-singlecoilish sound.
just look around its not hard to do all you need is a switch/push-pull-pot
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L