Page 4 of 107
Quote by primusfan
out of a can or bottle? two different ballparks with PBR IMO. won't touch the shit out of the can. bottle though? give it to me. the difference is striking. i even had a friend say he heard the two were brewed differently. i think that's extreme and i chalk the difference up to ANY beer being better from a bottle. but still.

edit: another reason i love high life more than any other. bottles and cans are the same price. i'll take the bottles even if clean up is more of a hassle.

I've only had canned PBR. I'll try it bottled once though I'm not going to expect much. In my mind, PBR is as low as you can possibly go before your beer is just Perrier.

Hipster's ambrosia my ass...
Quote by Zaphikh
I've only had canned PBR. I'll try it bottled once though I'm not going to expect much. In my mind, PBR is as low as you can possibly go before your beer is just Perrier.

Hipster's ambrosia my ass...

Speaking of beer being practically drinks other than beer, has anyone had Shiner's summer brew? It's called Ruby something or other i think, and it feels like I'm drinking bad ginger ale whenever I have it.

....curious.

edit: ^ And amen to that. Corona is another one that is just piss in a bottle.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Why do beer drinkers buy this crap btw? It would be like if toilet wine was the best selling wine...

It's cheap. When you aren't focusing on taste and just want a drink nearby to reach the same destination while doing other things.
Quote by Zaphikh
It's cheap. When you aren't focusing on taste and just want a drink nearby to reach the same destination while doing other things.

I know, but I mean still. We purchase that stuff for drinking games (no sense in wasting the good stuff), but I'll definitely dish out even a couple extra bucks to get mid-range brews.

Quote by SeveralSpecies

edit: ^ And amen to that. Corona is another one that is just piss in a bottle.

It tastes like metal.
Quote by beadhangingOne
I know, but I mean still. We purchase that stuff for drinking games (no sense in wasting the good stuff), but I'll definitely dish out even a couple extra bucks to get mid-range brews.

Well the cheap ones are also the lighter ones, which are easier to drink more quickly. If you get a good flavorful beer, it'll be difficult to drink it as fast or it'll just fill you up quickly.
Quote by beadhangingOne

A difference of 25 cents per six-pack adds up after a while for long-term drinkers.

It's cheap. The taste is simple and the alcohol is still there. That's all there is to it really.
man, you gotta try the Okolona Corona. get your choice of beer (high life or PBR work well). drop some lime juice in (the worse the beer is, the more lime juice). voila. a masterpiece.

edit: i'll second actual corona tasting like piss. the first corona i had was warm sitting in someone's basement. LITERALLY tasted like piss.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Jul 2, 2011,
Quote by maiden03
Tooheys Extra Dry Platinum.

Best drink to get drunk to, best drink to drink to, best drink in general. Its pretty much one of the only beers i like, and can always turn to.

Expensive as shit though. Not worth it, I just get normal TEDs as my "go to doesn't taste of much but gets you drunk beer". Little Creatures and Blue Tounge are probably my favourites for taste that are readily available.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
This thread makes me want beer at 10am. But English beer, not one of these funny US beers I've never heard of.
Well hell, how has there never been a beer thread before? What a novel idea.

I've turned into an IPA freak for the last four years or so. Sadly, Dogfish Head was featured on that new Brewmasters show, and has since pulled their stuff out of a few states (14) just to keep up with the demand. Pisses me off that Wisconsin is one of those states, because the 60 Minute IPA has been my favorite beer for a couple of years now. Flying Dog's Snake Dog IPA is a really good replacement, and it's a little cheaper, but I'm really looking forward to Dogfish Head being able to step-up production so we can get that shit back.

As for the cheap beer business, PBR is fine, I've had my share for drinking games and "booze cruises". What's even better though, for a cheap bulk beer, is Blatz. That's right bitches, Blatz. Make "Splatz" jokes all you want, but Blatz is a real beer. It has plenty of body and flavor.

There has always been Blatz in the fridge, for the entirety of my 31 years.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
I'm still trying to come around to the taste of beer. It's alright, but I would still rather drink whiskey or cider.
Quote by Duffman123
I'm still trying to come around to the taste of beer. It's alright, but I would still rather drink whiskey or cider.

When I first started drinking I didn't enjoy beer very much either. The more times I had it the more I started liking it. It helps to try different kinds since they can vary quite a bit. I can imagine someone trying Miller Lite and deciding that beer sucks before ever trying another brew, and that's tragic.

I never gave up on beer, and now I'm quite glad I didn't.
I had my first sip of beer at 4 years old, because my dad is a beer freak.

Also, all of you who think Magic Hat is overrated, try:

When talking shit beers, this thread has completely different tastebuds than I. I wish it wasn't true, but MGD just doesn't do it for me. Same with Bud Light (not lime though, I dig that). I dig PBR, Corona and Keystone though... Different strokes for different folks I guess. I need to try more "shit" beer.

When it comes to the more flavorful/ crafted stuff, I just had this (for FREE) at a gig, effing awesome:

Quote by beadhangingOne
I think Bud, Corona, Coors, Keystone and Natty are all worse than PBR.

EDIT: Why do beer drinkers buy this crap btw? It would be like if toilet wine was the best selling wine...

There's a pub near my house that has a beer menu broken down by type of beer. ALl of the above, plus Mickey's are under a heading, I kid you not, that says "SHIT BEER".

I really love beer. I am partial to Belgian beers but love the handcrafted American beers. Descheutes is one of my current favs. I love their Red Chair Ale.

I am headed off to a beer fest today with some friends in fact.
I've had quite a few of those Ommegang Abbey Ales. They're pricey, but damn are they good.

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
This just in: Smithwicks > you.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I've been to Ommegang's Brewery you should try Three Philosophers. It's RIDICULOUS. Hennepin's also really, really nice. It's a lighter beer, and it's refreshing and delicious.
Quote by daytripper75
When I first started drinking I didn't enjoy beer very much either. The more times I had it the more I started liking it. It helps to try different kinds since they can vary quite a bit. I can imagine someone trying Miller Lite and deciding that beer sucks before ever trying another brew, and that's tragic.

I never gave up on beer, and now I'm quite glad I didn't.

Giving up on beer is like giving up on life.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by JD2k9
Anyone else drink Tuborg? Nomnomnomnom.

When I'm at home I have it at the Whetherspoons, burger and a pint of Tuborg for a fiver. Other than that, not really. If I'm drinking lager at home it's usually Kronenbourg 1664 because I prefer it and it's the same price.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I'll be moving to the USA in a month or two and will be exposed to a whole new world of alcohol to tease my palate with...

So for someone who's only tried the usual corona (lemon lol), tuborg and carlsberg, what's a nice beer to start with that wont put holes in my pocket?
Quote by unet
I'll be moving to the USA in a month or two and will be exposed to a whole new world of alcohol to tease my palate with...

So for someone who's only tried the usual corona (lemon lol), tuborg and carlsberg, what's a nice beer to start with that wont put holes in my pocket?

Mickey's!
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
Quote by damian_91
Quote by trueamerican
Edited the OP. What do you guys think? What should I add next?

Rice beer.

And imo, ale is too broad. There's Pale Ale, IPA's, dark ales, ruby ales etc. But that might just be me.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by trueamerican
I've been to Ommegang's Brewery you should try Three Philosophers. It's RIDICULOUS. Hennepin's also really, really nice. It's a lighter beer, and it's refreshing and delicious.

I tried the Hennepin once, I liked it but I haven't gone back to it. Three Philosophers on the other hand, is probably the best they have. It'll fuck you up pretty good too. Isn't it almost 10% alcohol? I've noticed that the bees really like to show up for Ommegang's stuff. I'm assuming it's a more natural sugar from fruits or something to that effect. Fruitflies like it too, it's a lot like wine in some respects.

Their Cup O' Kyndness (or whatever the hell it's called) had a hoppy freshness that reminded me of excellent weed. (Imagine that).

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by jambi_mantra
Rice beer.

And imo, ale is too broad. There's Pale Ale, IPA's, dark ales, ruby ales etc. But that might just be me.

IPA is a kind of pale ale.... And I don't know how to better categorize it suggestion?
Quote by Jazz Funeral
I tried the Hennepin once, I liked it but I haven't gone back to it. Three Philosophers on the other hand, is probably the best they have. It'll fuck you up pretty good too. Isn't it almost 10% alcohol? I've noticed that the bees really like to show up for Ommegang's stuff. I'm assuming it's a more natural sugar from fruits or something to that effect. Fruitflies like it too, it's a lot like wine in some respects.

Their Cup O' Kyndness (or whatever the hell it's called) had a hoppy freshness that reminded me of excellent weed. (Imagine that).

Yeah, Three Philosophers is delicious. I have a few in my basement but I'm having a Burton Baton and a 90 Minute IPA today.
My favourites change all the time but i really like Tennents ice cold, Coors lite, Best and Tyskie.
Is it hot in here??

This one time in Dubai.....

Quote by trueamerican
IPA is a kind of pale ale.... And I don't know how to better categorize it suggestion?

True, but they're certainly different enough to be considered different categories imo

No, I think the only option is to list them all which, granted, is a effort and probably pointless.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by trueamerican
Yeah, Three Philosophers is delicious. I have a few in my basement but I'm having a Burton Baton and a 90 Minute IPA today.

Yeah sure, rub it in.

Have you heard anything about Dogfish Head stepping their production up a couple of notches to meet their newfound demand? I really miss my 60 Minute IPA's. The 90's are sweet too.

Also, if I ever see a bottle of the 120 Minute IPA anywhere, I'm snatching it up. I don't care what the price is.

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Jul 2, 2011,
Quote by Jazz Funeral
Yeah sure, rub it in.

Have you heard anything about Dogfish Head stepping their production up a couple of notches to meet their newfound demand? I really miss my 60 Minute IPA's. The 90's are sweet too.

I know they just pulled out of Indiana.
Quote by damian_91
Quote by Zombee
Quote by damian_91
Quote by jambi_mantra
True, but they're certainly different enough to be considered different categories imo

No, I think the only option is to list them all which, granted, is a effort and probably pointless.

Yeah, I like this way better. Suggest beer myths to me for the OP!

Off the top of my head:
-beer is not as complex as wine
-American beer suxs donkey balls
-beer is a classless drink for the plebeians (I have actually had this yelled at me.... Suffice it to say, some bitch learned her lesson that day)

Yeah, that's not a very good start, so help me out.

Quote by Jazz Funeral
Yeah sure, rub it in.

Mmmmmmmm exclusivity.

Quote by Jazz Funeral

I haven't. But I don't think they'll step it up too much. The owner is a fanatic for quality control.

Quote by Jazz Funeral
Also, if I ever see a bottle of the 120 Minute IPA anywhere, I'm snatching it up. I don't care what the price is.

They make 120 minute IPA?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh yeah, got one in my basement
Last edited by trueamerican at Jul 2, 2011,
Motherfucking Flying Dog Doggie Style. Nicest pale ale I've ever had.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by trueamerican

Off the top of my head:
-beer is not as complex as wine
-American beer suxs donkey balls
-beer is a classless drink for the plebeians (I have actually had this yelled at me.... Suffice it to say, some bitch learned her lesson that day)

Meh I think beer can easily be as complex as wine

And American mass produced beer does suck

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by anarkee
There's a pub near my house that has a beer menu broken down by type of beer. ALl of the above, plus Mickey's are under a heading, I kid you not, that says "SHIT BEER".

I really love beer. I am partial to Belgian beers but love the handcrafted American beers. Descheutes is one of my current favs. I love their Red Chair Ale.

I am headed off to a beer fest today with some friends in fact.

Black Butte Porter owns.
Quote by trueamerican
Mmmmmmmm exclusivity.

You Sunuvabitch.

I've got a 6'er of Founder's Centennial IPA that'll never see another sunset. It's in the garage fridge right now, nervously anticipating it's demise.

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.