i play ibanez guitars and am looking for an sg as a backup beater and for a different feel. my question is if i swap out the pickups of an epiphone will it do a lot for the sound? cause i don't have anything close to enough to buy a gibson and i'm probably going to mod it to all hell anyways.

i know, i know "i won't be getting a quality instrument," "you get what you pay for," "the hardware won't be as good" etc. etc.
What model are you looking at? 'Cause I think there's a difference even between Epi's. I have an Epiphone SG Special that has pretty bad pickups (been meaning to change them for a while now. :P: ) But I also have a G-400 Custom with three pickups, and those are actually pretty decent. Not as good as Gibsons, I'd imagine, but still pretty good. I think any G-400 with Gibson pickups would be pretty good. That way, you're getting a decent guitar AND awesome pickups.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by carlos_almighty
What model are you looking at? 'Cause I think there's a difference even between Epi's. I have an Epiphone SG Special that has pretty bad pickups (been meaning to change them for a while now. :P: ) But I also have a G-400 Custom with three pickups, and those are actually pretty decent. Not as good as Gibsons, I'd imagine, but still pretty good. I think any G-400 with Gibson pickups would be pretty good. That way, you're getting a decent guitar AND awesome pickups.

This, but burstbuckers are overpriced. Go with some SDs or Dimarzios.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

a g400 would be nice, but i'm working minimum wage and in college. i'll aim for that but if i do have to settle for a special or lesser model. if i put in an active tone circuit and some dimarzios along with some other stuff, will it be much of an improvement? it'd be in B standard running through a peavey valveking with a LOT of gain
My experiences with the Specials is that quality varies wildly. Like I said, the pickups aren't that good, and the wiring isn't too solid. But as far as playability, I would suggest that you go into a shop and try one out, and buy that one. Don't order one online, and don't let salespeople get one out of the back of the shop, unless you play and like that one as well. I've tried some that are just terrible, and some that aren't half-bad.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
you could also look for a used yamaha or LTD or even a gibson SG special, one nearby me went for 350 euros and thats about the same as the G400 new over here. sadly no money in me pocket for guitar stuff

big part also is the amplifier you play it through. if you have a good amp then pickup swap would sound more 'new' ofcourse.

i'd look for a LTD viper 1000 used with the seymour already in it. i dont know if they go that low they're quite rare on the used market around here.
Last edited by wolvenrick at Jul 2, 2011,
How about a SG Special Faded? They are significantly cheaper than the SG Standards. A Standard is like 950€ and a Special Faded is around 550€.
If your going to get a Epi SG I seriously would only go as low as the Worn G-400 the lesser ones are crap period. I bought a G-400 worn and put a SD SH-4 in the Bridge and it is a great playing and sounding guitar. The only week link in this G-400 is the bridge p/u, the rest is great quality/craftsmanship for the $$. They come with Grover tuners so thats one less thing you need to worry about. And I'mnot sure what they run in europe, but with the pickup change I paid less than $400 (USA) for the guitar and p/u and it was all new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Since you're gonna be modding it and you're on a budget I recommend going used if possible. You'll get more bank for your buck and you're not worried about hacking around on a new guitar. That being said you might be able to find a Gibson SG body/neck on eBay for cheap and drop in whatever you want.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I agree with the UGer who said go with a worn G-400. The G-310 is garbage (At least mine was garbage). You can get a good used G-400 at a decent price, mod if you're not a big fan of the stock pups.

This is coming from someone who owns an SG Standard, so my opinion might be a bit biased, but I say G-400 because my friend swears by his. Not a bad ax for the price, but go for the special faded if you can stretch your budget.

As for Epi specials, those are hit or miss generally, as they are the lowest model of SG available (To my knowledge; there might be worse), but then again, one guy I know who plays in a band uses this as his main guitar (though to be fair, he added a Kaoss pad to it and he plays noise rock, but to each their own)

TL;DR try out which ones you are interested in and see what works for you. Not every guitar is created equal. If you find a good one, by all means, snipe that sucker, but if it's a lemon, pass.
"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

"No..." [laughs, then more emphatically] "No."

"Oh, me neither, man, I was just asking."