Hey UG community! Not sure if this is the proper thread so sorry if I'm mistaken but I've been trying to start up a band for months now and there are no dedicated musicians that are into my power pop-punk genre of music and I'm done with trying to establish a band. So I've decided to go solo but I have a question: solo punk rock doesn't really work, how do I do shows? Do I record the rest of the band and play it in the background? Do I have to go acoustic till I get signed? Cause neither of those sound very punk to me and I feel like for my music a live, full band is my only choice, any tips or advice you could give on solo gigging? Even just temporarily.
Don't do it, it's hard enough with a full band i assure you. Keep looking for a full band in your area. Maybe do the acoustic thing to get out there and meet other musicians but don't expect to get signed.
Yeah the acoustic thing to get started and then building my presence on and off stage is kinda what I'm stuck at at the moment, I didn't think I'd get signed with just the acoustic solo thing, lets hope i happen to bump into 3 cool guys that like music, cause everyone out here wants to be doctors and have "goals" thats my choice number 2
Don't do backing tracks! Against Me! (Tom Gabel) started by playing solo acoustic. Just find a way to perform/arrange your songs for solo performances.
Oh, and don't try to get signed. Just build a fanbase. Labels aren't looking for song writing anymore, they're looking for artists that can sell themselves.
Quote by TheSmashing
Yeah the acoustic thing to get started and then building my presence on and off stage is kinda what I'm stuck at at the moment, I didn't think I'd get signed with just the acoustic solo thing, lets hope i happen to bump into 3 cool guys that like music, cause everyone out here wants to be doctors and have "goals" thats my choice number 2

Don't be that guy man, the singer from my old band was like that and it's why i quit. The music industry is fickle and not all of us want to drop everything for something that could tomorrow be gone. The truth is you're going to be putting more money into playing gigs than you'll get. And you'll play with bands better than you guys and they'll are unsigned and have been struggling for ages. Venues want you to promote and sell tickets before you even have any fans. And you need to play shows to get said fans.
It's really hard man, seriously. If you can find some other people to play with great but be aware you can't rush it. Making it big has a lot to do with luck.

This is a bit somber but it's true. Being in a real band was a sobering experience for me.
Oh yeah I know, I've thought it all through and I know the risks, but I mean I'm still realistic, I'll go to school when the time comes but the second I find an opening I'm jumping in and never looking back