I'm an intermediate but still beginner player with 0 professional tutoring. I listen to mostly metal music which is a hard genre to start out with. bands such august burns red, miss may i, parkway drive etc.

What I'm looking for is to get better. right now i get overwhelmed and feel like my learning is very slow.

with no professional tutoring i feel like i'm missing pieces of the puzzle to actually be good at guitar. I feel like i know harder stuff then i should know, and dont know a lot of the easier stuff

What i really want is just a guide of what i need to learn. like a link to a really good thread for my style where i can look to, to learn basic to advance. Things i can practice on such as scales

it would be awesome if someone could help me out!
      Quote by jrenkert
      Learn another genre, by which i mean: Expand your horizons.
      what would be a good genre to work my way into metal
      any particular bands you like? learn a whole album and start every song slow and bring it up to tempo then.
      as for developing you're musical possibilities i'd say start at the 60's and bring you're musical stuff up around that way. with this methode you learn a lot of technique like sabbath to hendrix style to zeppelin to maiden to metallica and so on. you cant get more advanced than being able to play everything.

also to expand your horizons jazz and blues are pretty straigth forward.
      Quote by wolvenrick
      any particular bands you like? learn a whole album and start every song slow and bring it up to tempo then.
      as for developing you're musical possibilities i'd say start at the 60's and bring you're musical stuff up around that way. with this methode you learn a lot of technique like sabbath to hendrix style to zeppelin to maiden to metallica and so on. you cant get more advanced than being able to play everything.

also to expand your horizons jazz and blues are pretty straigth forward.

Good call

EDIT: learn some PUNK riffs, this will help with the speed and some chugga skills, but for the most part it is not as complicated as most metal, but uses alot of the same fundimentals. and Practice alot. Get together and jam with any friends that are willing and you'll be suprised at what you can learn off them sometimes.
      2002 PRS CE22
      2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
      2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
      Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
      Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
      Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
      GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
      Morley Bad Horsie 2
      MXR Smart Gate
      Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 2, 2011,
      You don't know chords?
      You silly, go learn some.

As for 'teh metulz' it seems like you play Metalcore by what you have posted.
      If you want to get your chops up, learn some Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc.

I know you may think those bands suck, i did a couple years ago but after learning some songs by those bands, they grew on me, i'm not a huge fan but i like and respect them.

As you don't know chords, learn them.
      Learn your basic open Major and Minor chords and then progress to barre chords.
      From there (if you want) learn about 7th, 9th, 11th, sus, add, diminished & augmented chords.

Try learning some easy songs with the basic chords you have learnt.
      The Beatles - Love Me Do is just uses the chords G C D, learn it.
      It has an easy strumming pattern and the chords are easy as hell.
      It really doesn't matter if you like the Beatles or not, it's an easy song to play along with, and who knows, you may find you like the Beatles after learning that song.

Learn some theory, playing fast and sweep picking mean nothing if you can't make a song out of them off the top of your head.

As for links for theory and such
      There is a good column on UG called The Crusade by a dude called Josh Urban, check that out

Music theory.net: http://www.musictheory.net/lessons

This website is great as well: http://lessons.mikedodge.com/
      These websites are where you will find out about scales and such.

Don't think of yourself as a metal guitarist, think of yourself as a guitarist.

One last thing: write your own music, just keep writing, it doesn't matter what genre it is just write.
      GO TO THIS WEBSITE

www.justinguitar.com

This guy is an excellent teacher, and he basically is the reason why I can play a guitar at all. He starts out very slowly and easily with his Beginners Guide. I 110% recommend this site if you're just starting out.

Also, I know you like to play metal (I'm in the same boat), but learning the basics like chords will be indispensable as a GUITARIST, not just a metal player.
      Much good advice has already been given by the posters above, but if I may - I would advise you to simply play songs you like to listen to (as everyone else has advised). Learning the very basics of scales and chords is important when you first begin, but above all, learn songs.

Many beginners who see themselves as the next Joe Satriani focus solely on playing scales and "speed exercises" over and over again, believing that playing fast is the key to being an awesome shredder.

Don't do this.

Being able to play scales and patterns up and down the neck can be impressive, but only if you have a strong foundation to build on. Playing scales and patterns is useful for strengthening and training your hand, but that's all it does.
      It contributes nothing to helping you;

- Understand timing and rhythm
      - Understand how to be a musician
      - Understand how a song is built
      - Understand how to play with feeling, emotion, or instinct.
      - Develop a style and unique sound, or
      - Understand how to play with other musicians.

If all you learn is scales and patterns, you might as well just put down your guitar and learn to touch type. It will have the same effect on your hands, will come in useful if you ever seek a career in administration, and as a beginner, will probably equally help you develop a sense of music (read none).

Playing scales and patterns is fun, but learn how to play music first. Keep practising your songs.

That's my small piece of advice.
      *END TRANSMISSION*

You don't have to be crazy to post here, but it helps.

HAIL BABUTAU!
      ... I left out the most important bit!
      Playing scales is BORING! :P
      Playing and mastering songs will give you a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment.
      You will quickly lose interest if all you play is unrecognizable sequences of notes.
      *END TRANSMISSION*

You don't have to be crazy to post here, but it helps.

HAIL BABUTAU!
      you can do 5 string sweeps but not open chords?

learn dem G, C, and D.

then E, Em, A, Am, Dm

then the barre chords

learn a song like wonder wall by oasis and play along to it until you got it perfect.

get better at guitar, get laid.
      Quote by guitarxo
      I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jul 2, 2011,