Hey all

I am getting a new amp tomorrow and need to invest in an effects pedal to go with it so I need to know which is the best and heaviest distortion pedal Boss can offer? The store I'm going to has to offer:

Boss DS1 Distortion
Boss DS2 Turbo Distortion
Boss MD2 Mega Distortion

So which of these is best and which is the overall best one even if it is not in the available stock?

Cheers all you helpful helpful UGers

P.S. I need to know within 24 hours lol
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
If it HAS to be a distortion pedal, I'd try and find a Digitech Metal Master. Had to use that for ****ing 3 years, and that made it bearable. It's funny when you move up to a half stack FOR the natural distortion, then the distortion channels breaks and you have to use your old pedal... LOL

Another one I used for a bit was a Boss Metal Zone. At The Gates uses them, don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Don't buy something because that's all the store has, check local classifieds ads and word of mouth. Hell, even forums.

Also, if you HAVE to have one of those, just try them out! If they wont let you then you probably shouldn't buy from them...
Gear:

Early 90's B.C. Rich STIII N.J. Series, Red Sparkle
1988 Charvel Model 4, Firecrackle - Retired
2003-04s Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, Gray Nickel
Line 6 Spidervalve HD100 MK1 with Marshall VS412
You wont be doing your new amp any justice with any of those pedals.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Cheers guys I shall be trying them out as I refuse to buy any musical equipment without trying it out first lol I am just after opinions lol. Also the amp I am getting is a little Laney practice amp probably should have mentioned that before lol
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Presonus Audiobox USB

eddiechance
I wouldn't touch any of those. Go give a Big Muff a try.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
OR get the peavy vypyr 15. i got that today and DAMN it was fun playing around with. if you cant be pleased with that as a beginner you are NOT human.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
What Laney practice amp? That doesn't tell us a lot. There's no comparison between the Linebackers and the Cubs but they are both practice amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by romeozdistress
OR get the peavy vypyr 15. i got that today and DAMN it was fun playing around with. if you cant be pleased with that as a beginner you are NOT human.

I aint a beginner though and I really do not want a modelling amp again so I am just getting a basic tube amp combo lol

The issue I have is a limit to what the store offers and a massive limit to funds with little in the way of available savings as I am off to university come september so need to keep as much saved as possible.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Presonus Audiobox USB

eddiechance
Quote by Cathbard
I wouldn't touch any of those. Go give a Big Muff a try.

Or better yet, a Swollen Pickle.

They're both great, though. Nice, fuzzy distortion. Or is it distorty fuzz?
if i was you id got for big muff, jim hendrix fuzz face, or metal muff, maybe evne a ibanez tube screamer. wish i was as far as you. i decidd not to go that route since im a beginner even though it was very tempting.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by freighttrain
I aint a beginner though and I really do not want a modelling amp again so I am just getting a basic tube amp combo lol

The issue I have is a limit to what the store offers and a massive limit to funds with little in the way of available savings as I am off to university come september so need to keep as much saved as possible.

If it's a tube amp then get an overdrive pedal, don't even look at distortion pedals.
Gear:

Quote by MetalHeadMat
If it's a tube amp then get an overdrive pedal, don't even look at distortion pedals.

Just because it's tube doesn't mean that it has much gain on tap for the lead channel...
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
Just because it's tube doesn't mean that it has much gain on tap for the lead channel...

In my opinion, low gain tube amps with an OD pedal will usually sound better than with a distortion pedal. To be honest I don't know the model, but I'm going off what I know with SOME Laney amps.
Gear:

Quote by MetalHeadMat
In my opinion, low gain tube amps with an OD pedal will usually sound better than with a distortion pedal. To be honest I don't know the model, but I'm going off what I know with SOME Laney amps.

An Epi Valve Jr (for example) needs a lot more than a TS9 infront of it to play br00tz mate.

Who knows, his Laney may be some secret gain whore that doesn't need a distortion pedal?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Cathbard
I wouldn't touch any of those.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you have to go for one of those (I somehow think this isn't the case unless you have some sort of exclusive deal with Boss...which I assume you don't ) then the DS-1 can actually sound pretty good with a decent amp (though having a decent amp is the key to this), plus it's easily modded/you can get one modded on the cheap to sound better.

Though I think I've heard good things about the Mega Distortion in the past...could be wrong though.
Boss MD2 Mega Distortion is a really bad pedal for the money you pay. I know it, I owned one. Sounds very un-natural..
The Boss BD-2 Blues Driver is a really nice rounded drive which leans towards distortion. I've used one for about 5 years now. Does the job very nicely.
Well I got the amp, its a Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W and sounds alright which is good enough for me lol. The gain isn't too bad but it isn't enough for my liking lol. I decided against getting a distortion pedal or any pedals at the moment other than a chromatic tuner pedal since i needed a tuner lol. But keep the suggestions coming as I will be getting a distortion pedal at the end of the month.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Presonus Audiobox USB

eddiechance
check out the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. does the tubescreamer thing and has a mod switch for a gain boost. very responsive 2 band EQ.

checked out your tunes and left comment in your profile.
Quote by freighttrain
Well I got the amp, its a Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W and sounds alright which is good enough for me lol. The gain isn't too bad but it isn't enough for my liking lol. I decided against getting a distortion pedal or any pedals at the moment other than a chromatic tuner pedal since i needed a tuner lol. But keep the suggestions coming as I will be getting a distortion pedal at the end of the month.

look into tonerider, maybe. if you ask me their distortion is a lot nicer than the boss ones, for a similar price (£50 delivered). they also do an od which is supposedly a true bypass ts9, but i haven't tried it myself (but i see no reason why it wouldn't be similarly nice).

Or if you're ordering some other stuff off thomann any time soon, their harley benton-rebranded joyos are meant to be pretty nice for like 29 euro each... supposedly clones (ish) of more boutique pedals. they have (allegedly) a crunchbox clone, an ocd clone and a tubescreamer clone, which'd all be worth considering depending on what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 4, 2011,
Quote by freighttrain
Hey all

I am getting a new amp tomorrow and need to invest in an effects pedal to go with it so I need to know which is the best and heaviest distortion pedal Boss can offer? The store I'm going to has to offer:

Boss DS1 Distortion
Boss DS2 Turbo Distortion
Boss MD2 Mega Distortion

So which of these is best and which is the overall best one even if it is not in the available stock?

Cheers all you helpful helpful UGers

P.S. I need to know within 24 hours lol

DS1 SUXORZZZZZ!!!
DS2 (sorry, clueless here)
MD2 Deeper darker tone IMHO. This was the one I got when I compared to about 4-6 Boss distortion pedals at the local GC.