I hate to be one if those people but im kindof at a loss here.
Here's the Situation: Ive been playing guitar for about 3 of 4 years now and know my way around the neck quite well if i may say so myself, im no miracle kid but im no Ego trpper either.

I live with my Parents and have a small room upstairs where i do my guitar playing. I currently have a 120 Watts Randal KH-120 Solid State Half Stack with a 4 x 12 Cabinet which my parents think is too loud for me to play it in my room, im also practicing with my band every 2 weeks and its to much work (and im to lazy) to keep moving it from my room to my car and back again.

So ive been thinking about getting a new Amp for around 1000 Euro's. Ive been mostly playing Metal like Metallica and Anthrax on a Epiphone SG G-400, an LTD M-100 FM and since about halfa year orso a Epiphone Limited Edition 1967 Flying V Reissue which will be loaded with an EMG 81/60 configuration shortly, but since the last 2 years orso ive been getting more into the Blues and Rock like Gary Moore and The Foo Fighters and into Heavier Metal and more Old skool Metal like Machine Head, Meshuggah and Judas Priest. With my Band im playing Doom and Stoner kind of deals.

Ive been looking at a few Options like Buying a Smaller Amp for my room like a Marshall MG Mustaine Signature or a Roland Cube, Ive also been thinking about selling my Randall and Buying a New Tube amp back for it like an Orange Tiny Terror, a Peavey 6506 or something along those lines. Then ive also meen breaking my head over if i should get a Combo or a Head with a 2 x 12 Speaker Cabinet.

My father says i should look at the more Cheaper Tube or Solid State Amp Combo's since he think im not in a Position to afford a high priced amp like that, ive told him to me its all about the sounds and not so much about the money but we disagree heavily on this. Now i would like to hear the UG's Opinion on this since im sort of at a loss on what to do with my Rig.
Last edited by Aihko-Axel at Jul 2, 2011,
Use some paragraphs please, that is very hard to read.
I'd be leaning towards a used JCM2000 401DSL. That should cover what you need. It is a Master Volume amp so you can turn it down and still get distortion from the preamp but is still loud enough to play with a drummer.
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=DSL401
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 2, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Use some paragraphs please, that is very hard to read.
I'd be leaning towards a used JCM2000 401DSL. That should cover what you need. It is a Master Volume amp so you can turn it down and still get distortion from the preamp but is still loud enough to play with a drummer.
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=DSL401

hmm ill look into it, and thanks for the tip

also i feel i forgot to mention, my personall problem with the Randall is that the Clean channel has no gain, so i cant get like light Blues Rock crunch from unless i buy a pedal.
Also when im unsing my Big Muff i feel im missing some gain on it so thats a reason id want a gain knob in my Clean channel or maybe even a Crunch channel that shares the EQ of the Clean channel
The DSL401 has a gain control on both channels, there's just an extra Volume on channel 2. I really do think it is the ideal amp for you. You can coax Gary Moore type tones out of it and it will do grunge and old metal perfectly.
Of course to get a proper Moore sound you have to crank them as loud as possible to get all that power amp distortion. The 401 is 40W so you can actually do that without totally drowning out the drummer and having the sound guy throw beer cans at you. Gary Moore used a JTM45 mostly (usually with a Marshall Guv'nor in front of it) which is about the same power as the 401. You can get close to things like Parisienne Walkways by just turning the Master to 10 and using the Gain knob as the Volume - and crank it. Won't be exactly the same but you can certainly get in the ballpark.
Plus they look small so it won't freak your folks out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
With a 1000 EUR budget you could get an ENGL Screamer or maybe a Fireball.

You might be able to get a Brunetti EVO or Pirata as well, depending on which part of Europe you happen to live in.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Cathbard
The DSL401 has a gain control on both channels, there's just an extra Volume on channel 2. I really do think it is the ideal amp for you. You can coax Gary Moore type tones out of it and it will do grunge and old metal perfectly.
Of course to get a proper Moore sound you have to crank them as loud as possible to get all that power amp distortion. The 401 is 40W so you can actually do that without totally drowning out the drummer and having the sound guy throw beer cans at you. Gary Moore used a JTM45 mostly (usually with a Marshall Guv'nor in front of it) which is about the same power as the 401. You can get close to things like Parisienne Walkways by just turning the Master to 10 and using the Gain knob as the Volume - and crank it. Won't be exactly the same but you can certainly get in the ballpark.
Plus they look small so it won't freak your folks out.

hmm, It really looks and sounds attractive if you put it like that, but i also really want to get the nice Old Skool Metal like Metallica and more Modern Metal like Machine Head tones out of it with to much pedals Dont get me wrong, i know i wont be able to the the exact tones without buying there amps, but aleast someting that can hold its own when im covering them. I dont just do Gary Moore stuff.

But ill definatly check it out when im going to a guitar store this summer.
Metallica won't be a problem. Meshuggah's sound is all over the place. You'll nail some of their stuff but the Mesa Dual Rec stuff, not so much. He's been known to use a Line6 Vetta too - that actually wouldn't be a bad choice, they are nothing like the Spiders. If Spiders sounded like a Vetta you wouldn't see all the Spider hate.
Machine Head is Peavey 5150. If you want 5150 tones you pretty much cut yourself off from everything else. You'll get a passable sound but you won't get the same sound.
Raijouta's suggestion of an ENGL Screamer might be a good one. Don't know how well it will pull off blues though. You don't see many ENGL's over here.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification