Recording virgin here.

What kind of cable (and jack) would I need to connect this amp head to an interface or computer line in?

Thanks!
Quote by Trowzaa
I often look at 15 year olds and think "I would of boned her 5 or 6 years ago."
"Line out" Refers to a particular level of output, not to a connector type, so it depends.
This is an XLR output, but most computers use 1/8" mini jacks. Most interfaces will have 1/4" jacks.

So you'll need a female (think dirty) XLR to jack of some sort.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-Mini-Jack-XLR-F-Microphone-Audio-Lead-1-5M-/200624923209?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2eb62d6249

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microphone-Cable-XLR-Female-Stereo-1-4-Jack-1-metre-/350470579967?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5199aca6ff

One of the things you should look out for is that XLR outputs like this are usually "Balanced". This means that there are three wires in the cable: An earth, a signal and an anti-signal. When combined, the signal and anti signal will totally cancel unless one is inverted by an XLR connector at the other end. So if you are sending XLR-> Jack make sure if the jack is mono (two connections, Tip and sleeve) that only one of the two XLR signal outputs is going into the live part of the jack. Email the seller first to find out if necessary.

If you get a stereo Jack (3 connections; tip, ring and sleeve) the signal and anti-signal will go to opposite (left and right) sides of the stereo mix. This shouldn't be a problem unless you try to merge both into a single mono track though.
Last edited by the evil edge at Jul 2, 2011,
which amp is that??
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
yup looks like my behringer ultra-G thing in my old amp...grab either XLR male/female or XLR-to-1/4 inch depending on the interface. I plug mine into the XLR input of my fast track pro.
Thanks TEE, I know what I need now

XLR (F) / 1/4 Jack >> 1/4 Jack / 3.5mm Jack

Deepsal, it's a JVM 410H.

Thanks Rawr!

Is there a particular interface you guys would recommend?

I want to start using Logic Pro or Mixcraft properly with an amp line in but I need an audio card external interface as my onboard audio card sucks (Latency like Xbox Live..) and I don't have any spare PCIe slots for a new card.
Quote by Trowzaa
I used a line6 toneport until it broke, now I've got a lexicon alpha with a mixer for my inputs because it's cheap that way.

I'd recommend something with amp modelling though because my fender line out sounded awful- A lot of your sound is coloured by your speakers and power amp so often the line out is really trebly and horrible. I'd also say get an XLR input for if you ever want vocals and stereo line ins for if you ever want to add a mixer for more input options and better preamps. The toneport UX1 ticks the boxes.
Thanks TEE.

I've just spent a few hours looking it up and the general vibe seems to be that any amp line out at all is a bit shit.

So, any mic you'd recommend?
Quote by Trowzaa
Quote by Doha
Thanks TEE, I know what I need now

XLR (F) / 1/4 Jack >> 1/4 Jack / 3.5mm Jack

Deepsal, it's a JVM 410H.

Thanks Rawr!

Is there a particular interface you guys would recommend?

I want to start using Logic Pro or Mixcraft properly with an amp line in but I need an audio card external interface as my onboard audio card sucks (Latency like Xbox Live..) and I don't have any spare PCIe slots for a new card.

I use an m-audio fast track pro...as for line-out quality, i use the line out from my weber attenuator (sits between my blackheart head&cab). that runs into the FX loop of amp #2 (behringer) which has the XLR outputs with speaker sim. from XLR out to m-audio fast track pro to garageband. The line-out quality was horrible when I used line out to 1/4"-to-3.5mm (full of treble and fizz). Then i bought the fast track pro and went through the XLR connections on amp #2 instead...sounds awesome even though the sound is originally coming from the line-out of my tube attenuator.

so for you....
amp's XLR line out...to the mic input of an interface (fast track, presonus firebox, etc)...interface to computer. with garageband, before using XLR&interface, with the normal 3.5mm connection I would get huge latency (a few hundred ms). With the XLR&interface i get about 8.5ms latency which I don't even notice.

If you wanna mic it, grab an sm57 and extra XLR cable. i get cheap long cables off monoprice. Then you can record from the sm57 (straight into interface), and for silent recording at night, you can record directly from your amp's XLR out (into the interface again). i'm pretty new to this shit so my explanations might not be too clear

so just to clarify...going into my fast track pro are:
1. XLR from behringer amp (which came from original tube amp)
2. XLR from sm57 mic
3. audio input from TV/ps3
4. input from electronic drum kit

all this shit goes into garageband with zero latency

hope this helps