I'm looking to buy an acoustic bass, as I already have an electric. Money is a bit tight, I'd prefer not to break $200, nothing over $300. Any suggestions for acoustic basses?
To be honest, unless you have a lot of money to spare and want one just for the novelty value, don't get one. They're pretty useless. They're fun and all, but even when playing with other acoustic instruments you'll most likely need to have it amplified.
REGGIE
Quote by Spaz91
Acoustic instruments are tricky. You need to try them out in person. I'm sure US prices are lower so look for the one made by Ibanez, Ibanez do no wrong.

Spoken like a true fanboy.

OT:
Acoustic basses tend to be very quiet due to the nature of the instrument.

So unless you're willing to spend a little bit more then it's really not worth it.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Spaz91
I don't own any Ibanezes.

But you wish you did (what do I know, you probably owned their whole lineup at one point )

Don't Michael Kelly do AB's for pretty cheap?
pinga
I would like an ATK, a JTK and a BTB. I wouldn't touch the SR line with a 10' pole. Not bad basses by any definition but they are as far from "me" as you can be.
I personally adore the SRX series, they've got a chunky neck. Though probably not as wide as you might like.
pinga
Quote by LeakyFlask
To be honest, unless you have a lot of money to spare and want one just for the novelty value, don't get one. They're pretty useless. They're fun and all, but even when playing with other acoustic instruments you'll most likely need to have it amplified.

This, pretty much. I have a Dean and it plays really well, sounds great and everything. Well within the $150-200 price range so that would be my recommendation.
I was going to check out some in the store anyway, I was more looking for opinions as far as how long do they last, and are they really worth it. Probably should have made that clearer.
They last a good long while and if you like that tone, then they are worth it. You're not going to play one in a gig unless it is acoustic/electric and you plug in. They just aren't loud enough on their own.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I have an ibanez. Everybody (generally speaking) complain about the buzzing strings, but I fixed mine myself, and tyey don't buzz anymore ill tell you how if thqts what you.go with.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Anybody know how they work with generic instrument mics? You know, the kind used in unplugged performances?
lmost all acoustic basses are acoustic electric so that shouldn't be an issue really. but to answer your question (sorta). without knowing what kind of mic you have there is no way to tell you how well it may pick up the bass.
no sir away a papaya war is on