after returning home after about 6-7 months my bugera v22 awaits and hasnt been played since then. unpack, set up my board and begin playing. to my dismay, my tastes have again changed and i hate how my amp sounds. i go through about 2-3 hours tweaking my settings.

this isnt the first time this happens. nearly every time i play on an amp with 2 channels (or two EQs, presence etc), i find myself loosing my mind with tweaking. it seems like every know = about 30 minutes of experimentation.

why not just have a REALLY good amp that sounds amazing with few adjustments?

how many amp makers make amps like Dr. Zs, that have 1 volume and 1 tone, or perhaps very simple EQ adjustments and THATS IT.

i am starting to get the perspective that if your gear is done right, you dont need a lot of crap. and quite honestly, i would love to plug in an sound amazing with no tweaking right off the bat.

to this day the only amp ive ever gotten to sound amazing in 2 seconds is a 2 watt vox night train. simple, geat sounding practice amp. plug, play, bedroom ear bliss.
Quote by ikey_
after returning home after about 6-7 months my bugera v22 awaits and hasnt been played since then. unpack, set up my board and begin playing. to my dismay, my tastes have again changed and i hate how my amp sounds. i go through about 2-3 hours tweaking my settings.

this isnt the first time this happens. nearly every time i play on an amp with 2 channels (or two EQs, presence etc), i find myself loosing my mind with tweaking. it seems like every know = about 30 minutes of experimentation.

why not just have a REALLY good amp that sounds amazing with few adjustments?

how many amp makers make amps like Dr. Zs, that have 1 volume and 1 tone, or perhaps very simple EQ adjustments and THATS IT.

i am starting to get the perspective that if your gear is done right, you dont need a lot of crap. and quite honestly, i would love to plug in an sound amazing with no tweaking right off the bat.

to this day the only amp ive ever gotten to sound amazing in 2 seconds is a 2 watt vox night train. simple, geat sounding practice amp. plug, play, bedroom ear bliss.

Most people like the ability to tweak
Even with a simple amp you run into the problem of trying to make it better there called pedals youll probly find yourself in a few months buying pedals to enhance your tone.

I use multiple setting on my mesa for different styles, I have all my settings wrote down.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Jul 2, 2011,
I think youve got a metal block either that or you dunno how to eq.
I personally dont like amps without at least a 3 band eq, but if you want something that simple, see if you can find an Epiphone Valve Junior or a Fender Champ. Just one knob, volume.
Pretty much every boutique amp ever is simple. Most don't have the knowledge to do anything else, bar guys like Reinhold Bogner, Peter Diezel, Mike Fortin, etc.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeah but i dont want something that small ideally. and i think Dr. Z amps sound AMAZING. only seen 2 live, and i like every video ive heard. ive never heard a bad sound come from them.

yeah if i did use a class a single channel amp, i would definitely invest in a solid OD like a OCD or a timmy to push it. and i would want it around 20watts, maybe 30 tops. 40 watt tubver is too much for me, especially a top quality class A that probably sounds louder and better than a POS amp (kinda like my bugera). and, i would get a nice cab with great speakers that would be louder as well.

for example, playing through teh night train with the thick switch on (bypass EQ) only leaves volume and gain, and with a p90 guitar it sounds great. pure guitar pickups and controls. further supports my statement about quality gear and simplicity.

i have wanted a carvin v3m, but 3 channels with 3 sets if indipendant control could be a world of hell for me. ill never decide on 1 tone i like. ill change it every 5 minutes.

at this point, i know what input i want (bright, normal), got my bass right. im thinking of diming the master an just using the channel volumes just to eliminate 1 knob from my mind and make it act like a NMV amp.

biggest test is going to be playing live again. im going to boost it, turn the master up and drive it hard to see again what the power tube overdrive sounds like. its been about 7 months since ive heard this amp.
Orange tiny terror?
Ohhh boutique.... Right, then maybe a matchless of some kind? Or a bad cat? like the classic cat is pretty damn simple.

Hard to give to many options without knowing the sound you like.... Or your budget.....
RIP Gooze

cats
well i dont care. im not a big spender, as long as it sounds right. lets put it thus way, i dont need to drop more than about 1500 on a small wattage amp for casual gigging. dr. Zs sit right in the 1500ish range. that about my max.

orange is nice. might want a bit more headroom than 15 watts, and thier larger amps jump significantly in price.
If you don't need clean cleans then the tiny terror would do fine in a band situation IMO. Plus you could always mic it up :shrugs:
RIP Gooze

cats
Budda SD 18II I miss mine everyday....
nah. want some nice cleans. thats why i want acceptable headroom. 15 could do it, but still not a lot of room for error there. thats why the 20-30 tops area seems nice. for example, friend playsa fender hot rod = 40 watts. that is easily as loud as i ever need to be, and definitely clean enough. if i need louder it will be miced. plus, i want decent tube response. i want to get it so i get some nice breakup too if i want with a solid OD pedal (or cranking it).

plus, if you factor in a high quality class A amp, say a 2x12, and soe very nice speakers, the overall setup could be very loud compared to a stock amp (say a hot rod) with a lesser design and a stock no name speaker.
How about one of Craig's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWOhEGLBpa0

That's his 10W'er but I'm sure he has something that will suffice. Maybe a Suckerpunch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDaL0dGw4Xo
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
valve junior. BLAH. i mean i screw around on stuff like that at guitar center. that 5 watt fender aint bad for a bedroom/test amp but its not really anything special. if i was going to drop some bones i have way higher expectations.

reeves or satelite? cool. ill do some research.

edit:

DOOOODE. those reeves and satelites look amazing. the lower wattages are reasonably priced too. you just gave me about 5 hours of youtube research once i stop eating crabs/drinking/boating and sober up on tuesday.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 2, 2011,