Hello everyone!

I have been reading all over the internet and in several books, though mainly Catrine Sadolin's "Complete Vocal Technique".

I'm adviced to "Twang" my epiglottis funnel and here's the problem.

I cannot find a proper explaination of the word "Twang" and I am not sure about whatever my epiglottis funnel is (That is, how it feels, where inside the throat it is placed etc.)

Whenever I attempt any of the exercises I'm advised, I end up with a sore throat.

The distortion I'm looking to learn is something similiar to James Hetfield in Whiskey In The Jar and Dave Grohl in The Pretender and Tenacious D - Beelzeboss.
EDIT: Something like Eric Clapton and B.B.King aswell

Thanks in advance!

//Tthunbo
GEAR:

EPIPHONE LES PAUL GOTH

ROLAND CUBE 30x

Digitech Death Metal Distortion

Rock on!
Last edited by Tthunbo at Jul 2, 2011,
All I really caught from this was how its supposed the feel like my head is vibrating. I need more like a step by step thingy, if that is possible.
GEAR:

EPIPHONE LES PAUL GOTH

ROLAND CUBE 30x

Digitech Death Metal Distortion

Rock on!
Quote by merriman44
Thats the issue mate. Its all about playing with the sound til it works. Nobody can reach in your mouth and show you how to instantly do it. Thats why few do. Its alot of work

That sounds awkward.
Iv learned how to distort my voice. But before that I learned how to sing properly. So you already know ill say learn to sing well before trying to alter your voice. And try not to alter it in a way that memicing the persons you want to sound like. You may have to turn the music off and sing solo to achieve this
Quote by metalmetalhead
You may have to turn the music off and sing solo to achieve this

This is a really good point to listen to.

I do know people who can scream amazingly, or sing like Hetfield, but can't sing a pure note to save their lives. I have no idea how they do it, much less how they do it without killing their voice. The only way I know how to learn this kind of sound is by as people have mentioned, becoming a strong singer first. Work on that, and then take a gradual approach to introducing grit to your voice. I've mentioned this on pretty much every thread about vocal distortion, you just want to start adding a tiny touch of grit here and there to your singing, then slowly building that up. Practicing going all out just ends up as you say, with a sore throat.
Agreed. I'm a vocal newbie, but even I can see that you need a good clean base of vocal technique before trying anything specialized. If you don't, you'll just be another nickleback where "all the songs sound the same."

In fact, the way I see it is you have to go to the singing roots and start there. Think opera or 30s or 40s style of music - Frank Sinatra stuff too.

Perfect singing in its purest form, then you can branch out and specialize in what style you want. Learning to sing in an opera style will give you extremely powerful vocals when you want them. I guess the only danger there would be not to concentrate solely on opera because it would start to come out in your rock vocals, etc.

Again, these are just my thoughts. I'm not experienced enough to be giving advice so take it "as is."
Searching for the perfect gear is endless. Buying a better amp you may notice how shitty your guitar is and vice versa. I've spent thousands of dollars in pursuit of the perfect sound, which I'll never completely capture. -B. Corgan
Quote by binaryclock
I guess the only danger there would be not to concentrate solely on opera because it would start to come out in your rock vocals, etc.

all i can say is "freddie mercury"
Quote by z4twenny
all i can say is "freddie mercury"

Heh, yeah. One of the best rock singers of all times.. I guess you're right. However I don't believe he ever studied opera but I could be wrong.

Wikipedia says that Mercury denied ever taking any formal vocal lessons, and in London, he gave up Piano and worked on his guitar instead.

I do see the resemblance to opera singing though. A very powerful voice that has opera elements. Not everyone could pull that off like he did though in rock music.
Searching for the perfect gear is endless. Buying a better amp you may notice how shitty your guitar is and vice versa. I've spent thousands of dollars in pursuit of the perfect sound, which I'll never completely capture. -B. Corgan
At first I thought you were goin to talk about BMTH.
As for singing raspy, Ive been doing it for quite a while without any vocal damage.
Use lots of breath support and sing loud. This isnt something you can do quietly.
Thats right singing to loud to much air to even to quite with to little air can give you poly or nods. (I dont remember the whole words).

This is caused by your vocal chords hitting each other to hard. I believe they touch anyway but not in the same as when your abusing your voice.

smoking and singing can deform your vocal chords.

Singing is very mental the way you think plays a very big role in your voice tho you may not realize it. so keep that in mind. Singing loud and learning how to resonate and project your voice are very different things. one can ruin your voice. basiclly im saying theres a mental process to go thro. thats all
Quote by binaryclock
Heh, yeah. One of the best rock singers of all times.. I guess you're right. However I don't believe he ever studied opera but I could be wrong.

Wikipedia says that Mercury denied ever taking any formal vocal lessons, and in London, he gave up Piano and worked on his guitar instead.

I do see the resemblance to opera singing though. A very powerful voice that has opera elements. Not everyone could pull that off like he did though in rock music.

Doesn't matter. Opera singers are the best singers without a doubt. or maybe I should say most powerful instead of best, but what opera singers do takes so much work and power that it wouldn't be a bad thing to do opera, if you like it that is
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Lol read through that link posted. If you asked hetfield/grohl how they get their distortion, they would almost certainly not give you all that bullshit about feeling vibrations in your head/up toward sinuses. Its naturally how they manipulate their voice when they sing.

If you want some true distortion, its going to help that you already have the biology to achieve it. Also, hetfield's distortion on albums is partly due to the production side, listen live and compare it to a studio version and tell me that is 100% untouched aside from reverb/whatever.

Singing is like anything, there is only so much you can learn and practice but if someone is naturally more able they'll always be better.

Now my advice on how to get it the distortion! - Warm up your voice as normal, loosen it to the point you can hit your high notes smoothly. Then, no matter how stupid you sound doing this - try singing in different accents, like um tom delonge, axl rose, aretha franklin, frank sinatra, opera, to get the feel for all those different vocal movements you must do. You'll feel how you must adjust your vocal chords to achieve those sounds (e.g tom delonge quite restrained and a fair bit of mouth movement needed) (axl rose, you'll need to tighten up your sound - might find it harder to hit the notes at first) (aretha franklin - powerful pure tone voice) (frank sinatra - smooth soft transitions between notes). When your voice starts to get a bit sore, drink some water, go again, when it gets a bit more sore/tight continue for only another minute or so then rest. You'll build a tolerance for using your voice in many dynamic ways, and then you'll soon be able to last longer before the tightening up comes.

Im no expert, but i can sing in a variety of styles equally as well as someone using unfounded techniques with the same level of talent as myself.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by W4T3V3R
You'll build a tolerance for using your voice in many dynamic ways, and then you'll soon be able to last longer before the tightening up comes.

Im no expert, but i can sing in a variety of styles equally as well as someone using unfounded techniques with the same level of talent as myself.

I'd like to hear a recording of you doing some of this. Many times, what we think sounds good does not, and we give advice based upon unfounded logic. Not saying that this is the case but it is best to be sure. Well meaning misinformation causes injuries.

Also, your voice does not "build" tolerance. It doesn't strengthen. They are mucous membranes. You can become better with correct technique. Period. You can do it longer because you teach yourself how to do it correctly. Or you "perceive" yourself to get better because you have caused damage and you enjoy the sound more.
Quote by W4T3V3R
Singing is like anything, there is only so much you can learn and practice but if someone is naturally more able they'll always be better.

Backwards.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/