Page 1 of 2
Skip first paragraph if you want the good stuff.

So possibly the worst night (and hopefully last failure) of my music career. Firstly a power adapter wasn't working, so I had to go directly into my amp rather than through all my pedals and crap. Played two songs, and my amp starts to die, loses all of it's power. Then poof, dead. My cab (and speaker cable) still works fine as another band borrowed it, but there is no response from my head whatsoever. All the tubes seem good. To top it off the wiring for my guitar has gone and the bridge pickup is not working.

Anyway, my amp head (Laney GH100L) is old and I'm considering getting a brand new one. I only need a single channel head (although more isn't a problem) with a heavy high-gain sound (metalcore, Miss May I, Parkway Drive), as I run cleans through the power amp via my Digitech Pre-amp. Effects and crap are unnecessary. If there is an amp with only volume and gain then that would be perfect.

Budget is around $2000 AU. I don't need a cab, as I already have one with V30's.

I live near Brisbane in Australia, and have access to a local shop as well as Billy Hyde.

I play my LTD with a Tone Zone and Paf Pro pickup combo.

Preferably new, and I can order online. Don't want to risk buying second hand again.

I think that's everything!
Thanks
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Jul 2, 2011,
Tbh your best choice would probably be a Peavey 6505/6505+
I believe most metalcore bands use those heads, with Boogie Rectifier Cabinets....

So yeah Peavey 6505/6505+....as long as you an live with sub par cleans
Like I said, I don't need cleans, as I just run my GSP1101 through the power amp for cleans and it sounds amazing. I'm leaning towards the 6505. Just wondering if there are any other simple amps out there with that sort of sound.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Down here a 6505 is gonna be your best bet especially for metal. I would check out a JCA100 as well awesome amps for the price especially after a tube swap and can definitely handle drop tuned metal
Quote by sammo_boi
Like I said, I don't need cleans, as I just run my GSP1101 through the power amp for cleans and it sounds amazing. I'm leaning towards the 6505. Just wondering if there are any other simple amps out there with that sort of sound.

6534+.
Quote by DimebagZappa
6534+.

Not available in Australia as far as I'm aware.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
Not available in Australia as far as I'm aware.

They're around but they're pretty rare and mostly will run a good deal over $2000. The cheapest i've ever seen it was $2124 from Arties Music
+1 on the JCA100

It's an affordable (made in China) version of a Soldano SLO

Mike Soldano designed it the tone and controls are very similar to a SLO

It's not just a marketing ploy Soldano wanted to part of this project to make affordable tube amps for the masses.

Considering that a JCA100 head cost $800 American and sounds great I think the project was a success.

We can say the 3 guys who came up with idea did a
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Have you checked the fuse at all? It still is probably worth it to have it fixed and keep it as a back up incase this ever happens agin, or you could resale it. I don't know what they go for in OZ, but seeing the prices of everything else it's probably pretty good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I will try getting it fixed. It's damn expensive though. Last time it broke it cost me $200 for them to replace a couple of $2 resistors. I'm not sure if the JCA will have enough gain for me either.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Seeing as I'm pretty much decided on a 6505, would anyone be able to help troubleshoot? The amp turns on and lights up, the tubes all light up. But it doesn't even crackle when the switches are moved or even hum with the volume on 10. Nothing at all.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
Seeing as I'm pretty much decided on a 6505, would anyone be able to help troubleshoot? The amp turns on and lights up, the tubes all light up. But it doesn't even crackle when the switches are moved or even hum with the volume on 10. Nothing at all.

Sounds like the HT fuse might be busted, but there's likely something else wrong with it as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
could you get a dual or single rectifier?
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Down here a 6505 is gonna be your best bet especially for metal. I would check out a JCA100 as well awesome amps for the price especially after a tube swap and can definitely handle drop tuned metal
While I will agree with you that the JCA100h is a good head, why should the TS bother with it with a budget of $2000? You can find a used Soldano Hot Rod 100 (what the JCA100h is based on) for around that price. Does everything that the JCA does, but better, and is American made with high grade components. I'd recommend that over the Jet City.

Also, since the TS stated that he only needs a drive channel, the best option would be to go with a NEW Soldano Avenger or Hot Rod Avenger. Those are both superior to the Jet City line or Peavey's 5150/6505/6534.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
While I will agree with you that the JCA100h is a good head, why should the TS bother with it with a budget of $2000? You can find a used Soldano Hot Rod 100 (what the JCA100h is based on) for around that price. Does everything that the JCA does, but better, and is American made with high grade components. I'd recommend that over the Jet City.

Also, since the TS stated that he only needs a drive channel, the best option would be to go with a NEW Soldano Avenger or Hot Rod Avenger. Those are both superior to the Jet City line or Peavey's 5150/6505/6534.

Those amps are almost double the price...

They also are probably not available in AUS.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Those amps are almost double the price...

Avenger: $1,820

Hot Rod Avenger: $1,960

Quote by Guitarbaddie
They also are probably not available in AUS.

I doubt the Jet City's are, either. Maybe not even the Peavey 6505 or 6534 are available down there. But it's still worth looking for.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

I doubt the Jet City's are, either. Maybe not even the Peavey 6505 or 6534 are available down there. But it's still worth looking for.

I'm told amps are like double the price in Aus though.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Ian_the_fox

You realize that the Australian dollar is completely different than the US dollar, right? Musicians Friend prices mean **** all to other parts of the world.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Ian_the_fox

I was going to suggest an Avenger when I first came into this thread but you will not find one for under $4000 here. Online from MF + shipping probably get one for $2500 AUD but the only time I ever saw one in a store here it was $4000. JCA100 is very common here as is the 6505 and the JCA100 definitely has enough gain TS
The JCA100 really isn't voiced for the high gain tones TS wants. Its much more of a hotrodded Marshall type tone, it isn't good for tight, high gain metalcore tones. I've played one a lot because we sold one at the shop I work at, its not going to get those sort of tones.

The 6505+ is a much better option, especially considering Parkway Drive use/have used them.
Quote by littlephil
The JCA100 really isn't voiced for the high gain tones TS wants. Its much more of a hotrodded Marshall type tone, it isn't good for tight, high gain metalcore tones. I've played one a lot because we sold one at the shop I work at, its not going to get those sort of tones.

The 6505+ is a much better option, especially considering Parkway Drive use/have used them.

I dunno all the ones i've played with seemed to work fine, especially with a boost

I am GASing for a JCA100 which might make me biased, but I already have a 6505+ and a XXX
Quote by M_16A
could you get a dual or single rectifier?

For $2000 in australia? No goddamn way.
Tough assignment TS, as a fellow brisbanite I feel your pain. I've tried the JCA100H (A$1400 if anyone was wondering) and it didn't really do it for me, great cleans and incredible lead tones but not so great for chugga chugga stuff IMO, although I'm told a re-valve can do wonders for them. One of the 6505s is probably your best bet, although I'm not really a fan, might be tricky getting one of those under budget around here too. If you can track down a Peavey XXX head they are pretty cool and quite cheap, can be very difficult to find though. Good luck anyways bro
Quote by Waylanderau
For $2000 in australia? No goddamn way.
Tough assignment TS, as a fellow brisbanite I feel your pain. I've tried the JCA100H (A$1400 if anyone was wondering) and it didn't really do it for me, great cleans and incredible lead tones but not so great for chugga chugga stuff IMO, although I'm told a re-valve can do wonders for them. One of the 6505s is probably your best bet, although I'm not really a fan, might be tricky getting one of those under budget around here too. If you can track down a Peavey XXX head they are pretty cool and quite cheap, can be very difficult to find though. Good luck anyways bro

My mate picked up a 2 channel Dual Rectifier for $2000 you see them around but you can get used 5150's for $1200
Quote by AxSilentxLine
My mate picked up a 2 channel Dual Rectifier for $2000 you see them around but you can get used 5150's for $1200

They both got lucky then, I've never seen a used 5150/6505 for under $1500. Also, TS specified that he didn't want to go used
Quote by Waylanderau
They both got lucky then, I've never seen a used 5150/6505 for under $1500. Also, TS specified that he didn't want to go used

I know but you said that you can't get Mesas for $2000 but if you go used you can. That being said you'll be lucky so get a 6505 for under $2000 new so TS you're left with either Bugera or Jet City
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I know but you said that you can't get Mesas for $2000 but if you go used you can. That being said you'll be lucky so get a 6505 for under $2000 new so TS you're left with either Bugera or Jet City

I was speaking in the context of TS's brief, sorry I should have been clearer

*edit* Bugera! Of course, I should have though of that. I 2nd that TS, Bugera is probably your best option. With $2000 you should be able to pick up a head, a new set of valves and have a tech give it a once over.
Last edited by Waylanderau at Jul 3, 2011,
yeah thanks for all the ideas but as much as I'd love a soldano it ain't gonna happen. Ebay stores (in australia) have the 6505 for $1500 brand new... And the JCA for $1050. Delivered free. I'm not too keen on Bugera I want the real thing, so it's looking like a 6505, seeing as I doubt the gain capabilities of the JCA. I will check the fuses when I get the chance.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
yeah thanks for all the ideas but as much as I'd love a soldano it ain't gonna happen. Ebay stores (in australia) have the 6505 for $1500 brand new... And the JCA for $1050. Delivered free. I'm not too keen on Bugera I want the real thing, so it's looking like a 6505, seeing as I doubt the gain capabilities of the JCA. I will check the fuses when I get the chance.

"I'm not too keen on Bugera I want the real thing"

They aren't fake. They're no Chinese Ipud or whatever.

If you're not open with Bugera, its fine, but you're already sqeezing your budget, and removing one brand out of the question without trying them is kinda meh.
Quote by Syriel

If you're not open with Bugera, its fine, but you're already sqeezing your budget, and removing one brand out of the question without trying them is kinda meh.

I agree with Syriel I lokked at Bugera's about 3 yrs ago and was put off by the bad reviews. But when my head fried I needed a diecent replacement for shows, and I didn't want to spend a fortune (well I was pretty broke) so I finaly decided on the 333 after many hours of video reviews. Needless to say I am completly satisfied and more with it. It will keep up with 2 other guitarist one with a Mesa Recto 1/2 stack and the other with a JVM 1/2 stack (it actualy slays the marshall.

And just so you know the 5150/6505 isn't the real thing ether that would be the SLO 100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by sammo_boi
...seeing as I doubt the gain capabilities of the JCA.
Don't Underestimate its capablities.

Plenty of gain for just about all forms of metal. Granted, it won't give you that generic metalcore tone that the 6505 will give you, as it's voiced differently, but you can still play metalcore and even some death metal with it. It will just sound different and out of the ordinary (which is why I like it; I don' t like sounding like everybody else).
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Plenty of gain for just about all forms of metal. Granted, it won't give you that generic metalcore tone that the 6505 will give you, as it's voiced differently, but you can still play metalcore and even some death metal with it. It will just sound different and out of the ordinary (which is why I like it; I don' t like sounding like everybody else).

Well you can, but it doesn't have the tightness some people want in playing Metal. With a boost tho, you definitely can reach it.

dang thats pretty epic, i bet if you put like a maxon OD808 that might tighten things up a bit
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by Waylanderau

*edit* Bugera! Of course, I should have though of that. I 2nd that TS, Bugera is probably your best option. With $2000 you should be able to pick up a head, a new set of valves and have a tech give it a once over.

You'd have to keep it as far away as possible from the bush though. Wouldn't want no disasters...
I have no problems with Bugera, my friend has one and it is awesome. I'd just prefer a 6505 or something else, and a 6505 is only $500 more. Plus I want something where I don't have to stuff around trying to get a good tone using boosts and stuff. Unfortunately I only have my phone at the moment and can't check out the JCA... But I will. I just wanna use the 808 on my Digitech pre-amp and be done with it. I also have no problem sounding like everyone else
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Ok I've watched those videos, and the JCA just doesn't compare to a 6505. It's got a good amount of gain, but it doesn't have the ability to make people shit their pants from what I hear. I'm just gonna play it safe and buy myself a new 6505.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by Syriel

Actually, that's basically what it is.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Actually, that's basically what it is.

As one UGer put it, you can get the real deal.... or you can spend the rest of the amp's life cycle being reminded that you cheaped out on and only own a copy when you could have just as easily gotten the real deal.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Or you can take some magic mushrooms, join the bugera militia and then claim your amp is better then the real deal!
Page 1 of 2