anyone know how this will sound? i know 81's 85's/60's sound good in mahogany bodies and ebony fret boards, but would it be too much top end with a maple top?
i was also thinking about an ESP EC1000 silver burst. i own a Gibson LP studio silver burst and love the 60's neck. i would just drop the EMG's in that one but i LOVE the tone from the 490r and 498t. i would buy another LP silver burst to place the EMG's in but... why? why drop 1,500 bucks + the pups price? when i can buy a cheaper LPish guitar or an ESP EC thats all ready to go.

anywho i am looking for a guitar that i can play heavy rock blues/metal with but want to squeeze some more volume out of the pups for solos. i have the JB/SH-1 in a Jackson witch is nice but i want the actives. i would do another Jackson but im not to crazy about the width of the neck.

any advice? im mainly thinking a ESP EC1000 silverburst or a Scheter tempest custom with some EMGs.
If you like how an EC-1000 with EMGs sound, then you'd probably like how they'd sound in a Tempest Custom. The sound in the Tempest will probably be a little more beefy, but almost negligible.

Have you played an EC-1000? The necks are extremely thin compared to a Gibson neck. I would say the Schecter would have a closer Gibson definition. The neck shape is a standard C shape, but it gets pretty flat up towards the 12th fret. I like it.

Search your craigslist, a MusicGoRound or a GuitarCenter used section for a Tempest with EMGs already put in. You might be able to find one for pretty cheap, since a lot of people sell modded guitars with active pickups for pretty cheap.
You should get another Gibson LP, and drop EMGs in.

Why? Because you said you love the neck. Having a guitar you love playing, that is comfortable to you, is always worth the money.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You should get another Gibson LP, and drop EMGs in.

Why? Because you said you love the neck. Having a guitar you love playing, that is comfortable to you, is always worth the money.

BAH YOU ARE PROB RIGHT!! and its most likely what i want deep down inside anyway!!

damn you for making me indecisive and in the future broke!!

I'm not a Gibson fan by any means, but I'll be the first to say that you're not going to get a "Gibson feel" anywhere else. Nothing else can really compensate for not having it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by T7E
why wreck a good guitar by putting actives in it?

Just because you don't like actives doesn't mean they're going to ruin a guitar for someone else who likes the sound.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by T7E

lol thats why i need another one. one for high gain madness the other for anything else.

Quote by offworld92
I'm not a Gibson fan by any means, but I'll be the first to say that you're not going to get a "Gibson feel" anywhere else. Nothing else can really compensate for not having it.

i found a used LP studio pro for around 1,300. that might be a winner. its cheaper than the EC1000 anyway.
ill drop the EMG's in wich ever one i feel has the weaker clean sound. so really the new question is burst bucker pro or a 498t?
Quote by T7E

Thats like saying 'why wreck a good piece of wood by making it a gibson' I personally hate gibsons but that's just me. There's a reason hundreds of famous musicians use active pickups.