Hey all got my first FR guitar yesterday but already having trouble. Most likely something stupid I'm forgetting but can't work it out.

Basically it's a guitar straight from manufacture with factory strings, I would guess 10's. I loosen the 3 nuts at the top, do the usual tuning process 4 - 5 times. However no matter how many times I try, the strings will always go down 1/4 a step by the time I finish. Today I tried again and noticed that the bridge had began to raise, and then proceeded to remove the back plate to fix this. In order to lower the biridge to it's usual state, I thought I would need to tighten the 2 screws in the back and then retune to test again etc. However, the 2 screws are already fully in and cannot be screwed in anymore.
For now I dropped all the tuning until the bridge lowered and retuned to standard and as usual it's back at 1/4 step down on all strings. This also happens if I tune in 4-5 times, place the nuts back on and fine tune.

Any ideas?
Thanks for your time.
try tuniong string 1 then 6 then 2 then 5 and so on... and only tune by like half a tone inteada right to the note... this should help slightly
Quote by DeathMetalJesus
i found a video that really helped me tune my FR. Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1c-7-VMY_w

Ah yes I forgot to block the bridge before I tuned in. For some reason I thought that was used when you restring the guitar.
I'll try it in a few hours and post back with how I got on.

Edit: Ok forget that, bridge is going upwards not downwards and is currently in the correct position but the tuning keeps dropping. Any other ideas?

Edit: Microplanet, I tried the 1,6,5,2,3 method at first but no luck.
Last edited by Nemm at Jul 2, 2011,
Just keep at it.

The process is extremely simple physics. Balancing your string tension vs your spring tension. Raising one will lower the other, and vice versa. The first time I restrung my first FR guitar, it took me a good 4-5 hours. You just have to keep at it, and eventually you'll get it.

Once you see and figure out for yourself what's going on, and how your FR responds to different string gauges, you'll be cutting that time in halves. I can do a full restring on my M-200FM in like 30 mins now, and I've never bothered doing one string at a time.

Just one word of advice, screw your trem claw out a bit more than halfway, and start over. You shouldn't ever have to screw it all the way in - if it gets to that part, it's time to try again.

It can be frustrating at first, but you should get the general hang of it within a couple restrings.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Just keep at it.

The process is extremely simple physics. Balancing your string tension vs your spring tension. Raising one will lower the other, and vice versa. The first time I restrung my first FR guitar, it took me a good 4-5 hours. You just have to keep at it, and eventually you'll get it.

Once you see and figure out for yourself what's going on, and how your FR responds to different string gauges, you'll be cutting that time in halves. I can do a full restring on my M-200FM in like 30 mins now, and I've never bothered doing one string at a time.

Just one word of advice, screw your trem claw out a bit more than halfway, and start over. You shouldn't ever have to screw it all the way in - if it gets to that part, it's time to try again.

It can be frustrating at first, but you should get the general hang of it within a couple restrings.

Thanks for the post, was trying earlier and managed to snap the top E. Ordered some EB 9-42, since they're a lighter gauge, there would be less tension resulting in the bridge dipping and the spring screws needing to be loosened right? Also, when I was saying about the screws already being fully in, I meant the spring screws which were like that originally.
This is gonna sound dumb but just keep tuning it as closed as possible with the nit loose, and don't lock the nut down the wrong way. I had them sideways when i just got my guitar. The angled parts should be facing thee fretboatd. Then just fine tune starting from the outside in
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED