Hey, I am looking at getting a Phaser (MXR Phase 90 script) or a Flanger (Paul Gilbert AF2 Airplane Flanger). I like having a phaser on for solos like EVH, but I also like making eerie sounding riffs with a flanger. Will I be able to get more of a phase sound out of a Flanger?? or will it sound really bad?

Thanks, Adam
It's easier to make a flanger sound like a phaser than a phaser sound like a flanger.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think phasers are way more useful but that airplane flanger is a badass pedal.

Overall I say the Phaser, but really I think you should get what you think is more useful, its never good shelling out 150 for a pedal you use hardly ever.
Quote by asmithgdci
Hey, I am looking at getting a Phaser (MXR Phase 90 script) or a Flanger (Paul Gilbert AF2 Airplane Flanger). I like having a phaser on for solos like EVH, but I also like making eerie sounding riffs with a flanger. Will I be able to get more of a phase sound out of a Flanger?? or will it sound really bad?

Thanks, Adam

They're both pretty similar effects. I would say that they're similar enough that you don't really need both or that it matters too much which you have. Some people do have both and enjoy both. I don't think that they are really that different from each other that you would need both. I suggest trying out a few of the phasers and flangers in your price range and make a decision then on which one you like the most or you think you would use more or whatever. I do think that the Phase 90 script pedals are nice phasers, by the way. And between those two, I would pick that one. There are great flangers out there, too. I had a Boss BF-2 for a while. They are much better than the BF-3's, which I have tried as well. If you're looking for other suggestions.
I would get the flanger because as someone said before, it's easier to make a flanger sound like a phaser, rather than vice-versa. Plus, it's a unique flanger because it also changes pitch like a dive bomb (hence the "airplane").
Quote by Cathbard
It's easier to make a flanger sound like a phaser than a phaser sound like a flanger.

Exactly what I was thinking! Thanks everyone!!
if you get a phaser then get one that has more control than the MXR Phase 90. you'd be suprized at the variety of cool sounds you can get with a better phaser.
If you want a phaser, the Whetstone by Blackout is unbeatable. But I had the AF-2, it's a damn good time, worth picking up used just for the lulz.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.