I'm using a pretty big chain of pedals with a 1 Spot power supply. I think there's only 4 pedals that need it and only one pedal is getting noise.

My MXR Carbon Copy gets a weird hissing noise when I turn it on. I can't remember if it still gets the noise when I unplug the 1 Spot, but I get the feeling it does. What might be an issue with the pedal that may need to be fixed. (I'll figure out the power supply if that proves to be the issue)

Thanks!
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
The 1 Spot power supply is definitely your problem.
The best way to stop noise is to buy something like the Voodoo lab pedal power.
As for a much cheaper way to stop pedal noise, I do not know
Quote by bokma
The 1 Spot power supply is definitely your problem.
The best way to stop noise is to buy something like the Voodoo lab pedal power.
As for a much cheaper way to stop pedal noise, I do not know

well DUH! what's your problem with 1 Spot?
idk if you meant it in a bad way (it sounded like that) but 1 spot is a great thing.. no need to pay about 8 times the price for simple setups and whatnot

hmm anyways wonder what other's opinion is gonna be
There's probably no problem with the pedal; it's probably the 1 Spot that's causing the noise.

Yes Vendetta, the 1 Spot is great for people working on a budget. But you sacrifice quality to save some money. Don't believe me? Let me Google that for you.
Yeah, unfortunately it's most likely the One Spot. Best thing to do is to either get a separate adapter for the Carbon Copy or use batteries for it. It might be worth investing in a Voodoo Lab later down the road since you are having problems with pedal noise coming from the One Spot. Before you buy anything though, try hooking the power to your pedals up in a different order, sometimes it makes a difference with the daisy chains.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
Quote by Vendetta V
well DUH! what's your problem with 1 Spot?
idk if you meant it in a bad way (it sounded like that) but 1 spot is a great thing.. no need to pay about 8 times the price for simple setups and whatnot

hmm anyways wonder what other's opinion is gonna be

Well, if you have ground loops like he's describing, there IS a need to buy an isolated power supply.
Try something like the BBE Supa Charger TS
After further testing I have come to a rather wise conclusion: The 1 Spot is not my problem. Changed to a shorter daisychain, and tried other pedals with and without a power supply. The Carbon Copy is the ONLY one that makes noise. AND it makes it without the help of the 1 Spot. I swapped out the battery (which has probably been dead for months) and the noise (it's almost a ringing sound) is still quite present.

Any other ideas? That link about suggested changing the ground in the pedal or something... Not sure that'd be something I can do.
Quote by Quinlan
After further testing I have come to a rather wise conclusion: The 1 Spot is not my problem. Changed to a shorter daisychain, and tried other pedals with and without a power supply. The Carbon Copy is the ONLY one that makes noise. AND it makes it without the help of the 1 Spot. I swapped out the battery (which has probably been dead for months) and the noise (it's almost a ringing sound) is still quite present.

Any other ideas? That link about suggested changing the ground in the pedal or something... Not sure that'd be something I can do.

Your settings?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Delay time very high (as in long repeats), repeats set low, mix set at about 70%. I'm pretty certain it isn't oscillating.
Not sure why people are so quick to jump on the One Spot's ass. I've been using it for a couple years now, and I've never had any problems with noise or anything. It's unbeatable for the price.

Obviously I wouldn't use it if I was touring/gigging multiple times a week, but for what it is... it's really something you just can't bash for it's price.

TS: I've read that the Carbon Copy is just a naturally really noisy pedal. There might be some mods you can do to it though.

EDIT: A noise gate would most likely work as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 2, 2011,
Thanks, I was afraid it was just something the pedal does... Which is odd, because I never really noticed it until a few days ago, and I've owned it for almost 3 years... I'll look and see mods and maybe clean ups for it.

--
While I'm at it, I may as well ask: If I run a noise gate, will it kill my ability to make my amp feedback?
Quote by Quinlan

--
While I'm at it, I may as well ask: If I run a noise gate, will it kill my ability to make my amp feedback?

No, I've had no problem. It'll feedback until the noise level fades to the threshold level set on the gate.

If you want more feedback/want to fade into noise, you can simply just turn the gate off.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Could be a number of things. The best thing to do first is clean it. Compressed air is good for the internals. Just give it a blast and get any filth out of there. If you don't have a compressor you can buy cans of compressed air at electronics shops.
Then get some contact cleaner (like Deoxit) and spray some on a plug and work it in and out of the sockets on the pedal a few times.
Like I said, it could be a lot of things but you always start with a good clean. You'd be surprised how often that fixes problems. It could just be crap providing a circuit path where one shouldn't be. Filth is the enemy of electronics.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by darkwolf291
Well, if you have ground loops like he's describing, there IS a need to buy an isolated power supply.
Try something like the BBE Supa Charger TS

yeah what im trying to say is 1 Spot is really really good if you use it in an application it's been designed for and if it's not broken or something. sure you ca't get a low price unit that'll cover EVERYTHING

Not sure why people are so quick to jump on the One Spot's ass. I've been using it for a couple years now, and I've never had any problems with noise or anything. It's unbeatable for the price. Obviously I wouldn't use it if I was touring/gigging multiple times a week, but for what it is... it's really something you just can't bash for it's price.
yeah the hatred is surely there... I've been using it for awhile as well and my most noisy and problematic pedal is dead quiet with it now. I would even gig with it that constantly as long as i wouldnt be earnign big money in which case you can afford the more expensive stuff
might be a long shot here: is the mxr running in front of your amp or within the effects chain? because my delay pedals make everything extremely noisy when I put them in front of my amp

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
A noise gate wouldn't work well for getting rid of the noise from the Carbon Copy. The gate would have to be after the Carbon Copy in order to get rid of the noise, but it would also cut off the repeats sooner than they would decay naturally. If you try it and you like it, cool. But most likely it'll just ruin your delay sound.
I run it up front, because the repeat volume in my FX loop is/was too quiet. The amp I was running it through had a -6db loop, but the one I use now has a +8db loop. Won't that make my delay sound a bit muddy? Or will the boosted signal of the loop make the repeats more audible?

I suppose I'll just have to test it again after I clean it out...
If the pedal is hit with a stronger signal you get a higher signal to noise ratio.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification