Bass Questionaire, out of curiosity and nothing more. You are all obliged to answer!

Page 1 of 3
Some tricky questions so take your time.

1. Why do you play bass guitar?

2. What is your "main" bass guitar?

3. ...why?

4. What is your ideal production model bass guitar?

5. ...why?

6. Where would you rank bass guitar compared to your other hobbies?

7. Do you want to make a career out of music or are you solely a bedroom/hobby bassist?

8. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being absolute beginner and 10 being John Entwistle, how good do you think you are? Be honest.

9. Your favourite brand, ______, give you an endorsement and say they want to make your signature model; what do you design? Take into account the limitations of signature models over custom models.

10. What are your three biggest influences when it comes to music. Musicians, bands, albums, etc.

When answering, copy the questions and put your answers underneath each question so we don't keep having to scroll up and down, please.
Because it's fun, my primary instrument is bassoon so bass-clef is familiar to me and i missed playing in jazz band because i don't play sax anymore and the school had a guitarist so i picked up bass.
My main guitar is an epiphone jack casady bass.
3. ...why?
The hollow-body gives it a great organic sound. also it's my only nice bass.
Fender american Deluxe Jazz bass.
5. ...why?
The jazz bass just has that great treble responsive tone that i love so much.
below bassoon, above team fortress 2, above piano, above UG.
7. Do you want to make a career out of music or are you solely a bedroom/hobby bassist?
I will make a career in music but not as a bassist. Bassoon-teacher to be.
8. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being absolute beginner and 10 being John Entwistle, how good do you think you are? Be honest.
Im hard on myself so i'm not sure how accurate this is but maybe a 5, 6 or 7
9. Your favourite brand, ______, give you an endorsement and say they want to make your signature model; what do you design? Take into account the limitations of signature models over custom models.
Hollowbody bass with a variable impedence humbucker (like mine) just with maybe a knob with more than three selections. also an active EQ would b nice.
10. What are your three biggest influences when it comes to music. Musicians, bands, albums, etc.
Mozart, Jaco Pastorius' Self-titled album, and Flea.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
1. It's very mellow (like my heroin hero for actual guitar)

2. 1960 Fender P Bass

3. ...why?
3. It is sexy awesome

4. EDIT: I'm really not picky, any Fender P Bass with a smooth fretboard

5. ...why?
5.EDIT: Just plays so well.

6.somewhere in my top 20 hobbies (20-10 ish)

7. Making a career on guitar but I play bass only when I need to record a bassline or get some new, simpler ideas.

8. 3 (And I love you for putting John Entwhistle at 10 )

9. Fender, make me a vintage 1951 P bass but with 2 pairs of the DiMarzio P pickups with an onboard treble booster and phase switching.

10. Queen/A Night at the Opera, Giant arenas, and groupies.
Last edited by Skullivan at Jul 2, 2011,
Quote by Skullivan
4. What is a production model?

A production model is something made on a production line rather than being specifically made for you.
I'm more of a guitarist than a bassist, but this seems like a cool idea.

To understand how bass fits into a song and respect how challenging it can be to write/play bass parts

Squire P-Bass, i'm a noob

3. ...why?
Because it's the only bass i've got

Fender American Deluxe Jazz

5. ...why?
1. It looks bitchin'
2. Sounds great

Second behind Guitar.

It would be nice but it's not a steady carreer unless your awesome at it.
So i will say hobby bassist.

3/4 i'm not terrible but im not great either.

Not too sure about this question, do you mean what would i use to make it? or just the design/look of it.

Muse
Reel Big Fish
The Misfits
i mostly play bass on my home recordings, i don't call myself a 'bassist' by any means. guitar and drums are my main instruments.

Chord CCB90. it's my ONLY bass guitar
granted, it's not some kind of solid gold 60's jazz bass with a neck made of ancient chinese oak, or anything special, but for the £130 i paid for it, i'm over the moon with it.

3. ...why?
it was cheap, mainly. i played it in the shop, it felt great to play, and sounded great. in terms of value for money, i couldn't have done much better.

when i bought the bass i own now, there was a lovely 5 string p bass. i didn't get the chance to play it, so i can't say for sure. but it looked great.

5. ...why?
it just looked nice. i know very little about basses, but it looked nice. i love playing 5 strings aswell, i just find them so much more fun.

6 or 7, probably. if 10 was the best thing ever and 1 was comparable to having lung cancer.

it'd be nice to make a career out of it. but right now, it's just a hobby really.

5 or 6. i'm quite a tight player, but i don't do any really complex bass lines.

5 string, definantly. the extended range is so useful, weather it's an extra high string, or an extra low string. i played a custom bass my friends dad had made once (by the same guy who does Steve Vai's neck LED's, as it happens. just a little factoid for ya' there). that felt great to play, really solidly built, really smooth neck, everything just set up nice. it was also made out of some weird, and ridiculously heavy wood, that some african tribe makes thier masks from (i think it was called wengay/wenge, or something). so i'd probably draw alot of ideas from that specific instrument

i wouldn't say i play enough bass to have 3 solid main influences. but in terms of music, as a whole, and not just bass. it'd probably be fightstar, reuben, and elliott smith.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Jul 2, 2011,
1. Because I prefer it, simply. I play guitar as well but when i'm just looking to play for the sake of leisure i'll learn a few basslines.

2. MM Stingray

3. Love it's tone, Chunky neck and look.

4. An HS MM Bongo, 6 string.

5. I love playing lots of Prog Metal as well as solo compositions so i'd love a high quality bass with lots of playing options and variation.

6. Top, above WoW, Drawing/Canvas Painting and cooking.

7. I'd love to make a career teaching Bass.

8. 5, I know my way around a bass and the various playing techniques, I'm fluent in reading Tab + Sheet, I know my theory but I'm still learning!

9. Musicman, I'd have them make a 5 String stingray, HS setup, Ash body and Maple neck/fretboard. Body would be Silver /w matching headstock and a reflective Pickguard, standard input and MM bridge, Hipshot drop d tuner.

10. Dream Theater, Flea, Chris Wolstenholme.
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )
I'll do this... cause it said im obligued

1. i am not a bass guitarist but i like to play it
2. dont haev one
3. no money
4. can't say for suer, guess a Fender J bass
5. idk, Fenders usualyl win my heart
6. hmmm id rank it as a hobby, guitar is my profession tho
7. I play bass in my recordings and whatnot but im not a bass guitarist mainly
8. 4
9. well bunch of stuff actually
10. hmm, idk really, hard to name
Answers
1. Why do you play bass guitar? My dad plays bass and so does Gene Simmons so that is why I do.
2. What is your main bass? Gibson Ripper
3. ...why? My dad gave it to me.
4. What is your ideal production model bass? Don't really have one.
5. ...why? See above.
6. Where would you rank your bass guitar playing compared to your other hobbies? My other hobbies are drawing and reading. I would say bass playing has fallen off a bit.
7. Do you want to make a career out of music or are you solely a bedroom/hobby bassist? It is only a hobby. I might play occasionally with people but not for sometime now.
8. On a scale of 1 to 10 1 being absolute beginner and 10 being John Entwistle, how good do you think you are. Be honest. I would give myself a 3. I am better than Sid Vicious ever was though. He gets a 1.
9. Your favorite brand give you an endorsement and say they want to make you signature model; what do you design? Take into account the limitations of signature models over custom models. I could care less as long it is weird looking or black.
10. What are your biggest influences when it comes to music. Musicians, bands, albums, etc. Good question. 1. My dad. 2. KISS. 3. Whatever I am listening to at the time which right now is Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Cure, the Smiths.
I wanted to be Nick Oliveri

a hollowbody Ibanez

3. ...why?
Nothing sounds quite like it

Just the one? I guess one of the ATKs with 24 frets and a neck J

5. ...why?
I've gone for versatility here

It's my main hobby

it'd be nice...but I'd more likely build amps than actually play if music became my job

I have no idea really. I guess I'm probably not a great bassist for six years of playing. Not really bothered though

Can I get an amp instead? I have this fantasy about a big tube thing...I'm not giving away its specs though

I guess Sabbath, Kyuss and Sleep
Quote by smb

a hollowbody Ibanez

It's my main hobby

Can I get an amp instead? a big tube thing

I guess Sabbath, Kyuss and Sleep

I would love to have you in my band. Move to Australia.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Because I'm too dumb to play guitar......
Seriously it's because my dad pulled out a 66 jazz and gave it to me and I liked it a lot better than my beat up teisco guitar.

Ibanez btb 555

3. ...why?
Because I'm too poor to afford a Spector or Warwick

I don't care

5. ...why?
Because I would never be able to afford it if I dreamed it up.

Just above heroin and slightly below meth.

A career would be pretty cool but I'm not gonna bet on it.

4 maybe? I can't rank myself.

Black or some color stain Spector. Not glossy or anything. Black or chrome hardware.
2 humbuckers with a j pickup between them for kicks. 5 strings 35'' scale. 10000 year old mammoth ivory nut. Active with locking jacks (stereo output like a rick). As well as schaller strap locks.

Protest the Hero
Stuart Hamm
And Yes-Fragile that was the album that made me realize bass doesn't suck.
Last edited by matt-attack at Jul 2, 2011,
Started out playing guitar but was asked by a friend to fill in on bass for a gig. Fell in love with it, made the switch, and haven't looked back.

A Fender Squire

3. ...why?
Cause I picked it up second hand and was all I could afford at the time. Idk I like it.

Don't particularly have one

5. ...why?
N/A

Right now its probably my primary hobby

I'd love to make a career out of it, but I'm happy to just jam for the hell of it as a hobby.

Maybe like a 3 or 4. I'm still pretty new to playing.

It would probably be something crazy

Chili Peppers, RATM, Metallica (Kill Em All--Master of Puppets era. Yes I'm a Burton fangirl, sue me. )
When I still had music classes at school, I often played the guitar, because I wanted to learn how to play it very badly. More often than not however, I ran in a few seconds too late, and someone already took it. I had to wait till the next classes. Instead of becoming bored, I picked up the bass to accompany the classes. After 3 years of doing that, I just went and bought a Peavey Milestone III and a small Roland Bass Cube. Been playing since

The Peavey Milestone III

3. ...why?
Only one I've got

Rickenbacker 4003

5. ...why?
Cliff Burton, Chris Squire, Paul McCartney, Lemmy Kilmister, the sheer looks of it and the great tone I've managed to get out of it when I tried one once.

Just behind electric, my #1 hobby

I'd love to make a career out of it. Lately I've become bored with the electric guitar, playing more bass than ever, and thinking about my future education and all that. From a pure financial point of view, I have more chance of making it as a skilled bass player than as a skilled guitarist at the local Conservatory.

I can keep the groove going, but I lack fingerstyle stamina. Used to have Cliff Burton speeds and stamina along with it a few months ago though, but I slacked...
Right now, I'd say, maybe a 6 or a 7.

I wouldn't. I'd play Ritter basses.

Not in any order: Metallica, Motown, Chris Huelsbeck.
I originally asked for a bass on Christmas for recording purposes, but then I became more interested in the instrument and eventually became mainly a bassist rather than the guitarist I was before. Also the low range is sexy.

Some P-Bass copy

3. ...why?
It's my only bass at the moment

Not sure since I haven't tried many, other than a friend's P/J and a Squier Jazz at a music shop. I'd probably get something with easy high fret access and a J or P/J configuration.

5. ...why?
P/J for versatility, high fret access isn't that necessary but it'd be a big plus.

Below using the computer, higher than everything else

Probably not, unless you count sound engineering which is a possibility.

5 perhaps, intermediate ground. I'm not that good, but I'm pretty good for someone who has been playing for 7 months (especially compared to other bassists I know, not trying to presume though )

I don't think I've played enough basses to have a fave brand.

Cliff Burton and Steve Harris for bass playing, and probably early Metallica (and pretty much any early thrash) for music in general.
Professional lurker since 2009.

Music teacher from 3rd grade. His primary instrument was bass and he played really well. Got me interested.

My "ibanez" lol.

3. ...why?

It's my only bass...

A late 70's ric and circa 1800 German flat-back

5. ...why?

Punk nostalgia and a really high quality upright.

Top 3 lol. Girlfriends got it beat I think.

Uhh..it doesn't matter haha I'm not about to be a record company slave...im comfortable being DIY and gigging for extra cash.

Probably a 6 or so.

ibanez i guess...maybe ric...well, itd be a neck-thru indian rosewood body and neck with a desert ironwood fretless fingerboard, 10" radius neck, p/j pups to model the late 70's and a piezo with a switch to alternate, wired with a series/parallel switch, active/passive, and a 3-band eq, all gold hardware, and a carved top

that's actually really difficult. '77 - '94 punk, Mingus, Steve Harrison, and a lot of local musicans I grew up around.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
1. Why do you play bass guitar? Because I love the low end. I always have, since a kid. It's also a bit hereditary I guess since my dad loves bass

2. What is your "main" bass guitar? My Ibanez SRX690. It's the only bass I have, but no matter what bass I get in the future, I will never sell this bass. I love it.

3. ...why? Emotional attachment, and just because it's a damn good bass and I swear by it.

4. What is your ideal production model bass guitar? Ibanez SRX series without a doubt.

5. ...why? It's like they were tailor made for me. Thin chunky necks, nice sturdy bridges, fat tone. What else would I want from a bass?

6. Where would you rank bass guitar compared to your other hobbies? #1. Music and bass are above all else for me.

7. Do you want to make a career out of music or are you solely a bedroom/hobby bassist? I would love to make a career out of it if I have the chance, no question.

8. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being absolute beginner and 10 being John Entwistle, how good do you think you are? Be honest. I'd say 6. Only because im confident in my own skills, and I acknowledge that I have a whole lot else to learn as I grow.

9. Your favourite brand, ______, give you an endorsement and say they want to make your signature model; what do you design? Take into account the limitations of signature models over custom models. MUST have 24 frets. Probably a thin chunky neck, passive pickups and an active preamp. A thick bridge, a battery compartment. Would probably be mahogony bodied and thru neck as well.

Oh boy. I'd have to say Fieldy, Jaco and Wooten. Those are just bassists that come to mind and the ones that made me vigorously pick up the bass and strive to be as good as I can be on it.
pinga
I've always had a thing for the low, bass-y notes.

Right now, my 5 string Rogue

3. ...why?
It's my only 5 string right now, and I tend to use the low B alot with my band.

ESP Vintage-4 Maple

5. ...why?
I played one at a local shop and loved it.

Second. I'd rank cooking just a little bit higher.

I'd like to make a career out of music, seeing as music is almost my entire life..

I'd say a 4, maybe a 5. I'm not bad, but I have a long ways to go to be good. (In my eyes anyways)

I would go for a ESP Viper, almost the same as the ESP/LTD Viper-414FM, but with five strings instead of four and a maple fretboard.

I'm going to say Metal from the 1980s, Primus, and local musicians.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. "

"If you're going through hell, keep going."

"It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right."

- Sir Winston Churchill

I enjoy it. I started on guitar, but over time I gravitated to the bass. The more I learn about it; the more I like it.

I don't have one. I go through periods where I favor one bass over the others. I am partial to my Fender Jazz 24 and Geddy Lee signature Jazz, but I also have a MM Stingray Limited Edition 5-string that I like a great deal. It depends on what I'm listening to; trying to play and God knows what else at the moment.

3. ...why?

See above.

I honestly can't say. I own more Fender Jazz basses than anything else, but there are certainly others that I like as much. Carvin's Icon basses are a strong contender.

5. ...why?

I like the way the Fender Jazz feels and plays, and some of them have a great sound (Geddy Lee signature; Jazz 24). The Carvin Icon looks fantastic, feels and plays great; has a variety of sounds on tap and you can get it with all sorts of options usually unavailable on anything but a high-end custom instrument.

Well; I don't have a lot of hobbies, so I'd have to say it is right at the top.

I'd love to make a good living playing the bass, but at this stage of my life I strongly doubt that it is possible. Never say never, though.

I don't know. I imagine I'm a 6, but some days I play way above my usual level and surprise the hell out of myself. I'm pretty much able to do about 85-90% of what I want to do; particularly if I get off my ass and practice.

I would make only minor changes to an already good bass; starting with a ebony fretboard. Most bass makers don't offer them. I don't believe in trying to reinvent the wheel. Once in a while, a radical new design will actually work (think Zon Hyperbass), but for the most part you're better off sticking with the tried and true.

Everything Geddy Lee does with Rush is a strong influence on me. John Myung's playing with Dream Theater got me into six-string basses, and I still think Chris Squire's work on Yes's Starship Trooper is one of the greatest things ever played on a bass.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley

To be make the band sound good

Ibanez GSR 205

3. ...why?

Because I haven't had enough money for anything better

Fender P-Bass

5. ...why?

Because they're on almost every recording from the 60s

No. 1

I'd be wasting a shitload of money at Berklee if it was just a hobby

7 or 8 probably

I don't really want a signature model, every bass is different and no single one could satisfy every single wish for a sound I could want.

Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam, RHCP, Bob Dylan, and Neil Young.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I'm a guitarist and knew a band that needed a bassist so I picked it up.

Epiphone Thunderbird, not as bad as everyone says/thinks...

3. ...why?
Looks and sounds great!

Gibson Thunderbird

5. ...why?
See #3

About #4 or so.

Career, but in luthiery probably.

6 or so probably.

Gibson Thunderbird, custom paintjob to be decided on later, LP style controls all gathered together near where they normally are on a Thundahbirdy.

The Wall (Pink Floyd), Appetite for Destruction (Guns n Roses), Megadeth - Greatest Hits (Megadeth).
It's a way for me to feel more of a part of music, the basis of my existence . It's also a time for relaxation when I'm feeling stressed out

Stellah Ripwood 5

3. ...why?
I hate tuning my basses, and it's constantly where I need it.

Mike Dirnt Precision Signature

5. ...why?
Mike Dirnt is my idol and my inspiration to play bass... Plus the bass itself is sexy as :P

Primary. I love it to death.

Whatever works, as long as I can continue playing bass.

Somewhere between Beginner and intermediate, so 3-4 :/

Navy Blue P bass, Black pickguard, Ebony neck, Black headstock with Fender logo and model name (Juggernaut), P neck pickups, Jazz bridge pickups. Yeeeeaaaaahhh

Green Day (Specifically older Green Day ie. Dookie - Nimrod), Rise Against (all), Believe - Disturbed.
Basses:
Squier Affinity P
Stellah Ripwood 5
Epiphone EB-0
1: Because it's fun and enjoyable. Plus it' also underrated lol.

2: Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio

3: Because it' my only bass besides my Squier affinity lol. It's a great bass which is essentially a hot rodded P-Bass.

4: Well I kind of hinted it up there ^. Fender P-basses. Specifically ones with PJ pickups.

5: Nice thick neck, Heavy yet articulated sound, simple design, does not take batteries

6: Idk, but it's one of my favoutires.

7: I would like to. I doesn't essentialy have to be a band. I would love to create music for video games.

8: I'm gonna say 5. I'm not really into the whole tapping, slapping and harmonics stuff.

9: Fender. P-bass (duh) Maple fretboard and neck, Black with mirrored pickguard, PJ pickups etc.

10: Rush, Godsmack, my dad
Because I like to. Pure and simple.

Probably my Fender JB75-US

3. ...why?
Haven't found a situation that I've needed it for that it hasn't worked for me yet. It's a great versatile all around bass and I love the super thin neck. Just feels right yo.

Fender Jazz

5. ...why?
Reasons mentioned above.

Number 1 for sure.

I'd like to make a career out of it but in reality it's a very hard thing to do so I'm going to go to uni to get myself a certificate for a decent back-up career.

6 to 7. Can usually get what I want out of my instrument but I always want to improve.

Some varitey of Jazz. Maybe with a MM/S config. I'd have to try a few ideas with different prototypes first to get it right.

Mainly bands and albums. I more look into how a bassist works within the band rather than single them out by themselves.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I love the low end, the versatility and generally creating the feel and groove of a song.

Washburn RB2500

3. ...why?
Good tone, easy to play and relatively rare

Lakland 55-02

5. ...why?
5 string, good looks, soap-bar pups for versatility

number 1

Currently doing a bachelor of music, so yes, I want a career

It'd have soap-bars, and look like my washburn

Hard to say really, Pretty much whatever we have to learn for my course atm
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
My dad bought one, i was a guitar player, it was there, I fell in love.
schecter stilletto custom 6
3. ...why?
cuz its more my stlye then the 4 string kramer.
something old school like a vintage P, or something hyper modern lke a 6 string bongo.
5. ...why?
mojo/teh tonez.
probably lower than acoustic guitar and higher than electric. music and the like are a big chunk of my life, but other things are taking over (vidja games). i play the acoustic more cuz its something you can do alone and it sounds good.
I would love to make a career out of music, be it selling/repairing guitars, or playing lve.
6-7. my technique is pretty much as good as I will ever need it to be, but my compositional skills aer a little low (mostly due to my lack of band experience as a bass player)
jazz body, 24 p bass neck, j in the bridge p in the middle mudbucker in the neck.
tom morellos philosophy on how to approach an instrument. sublime for being ever present throughout my life. and the weirdness of the 90s.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Jul 3, 2011,
My whole family played guitars and ive always had abit of a thing for doing something diffrent so i grabbed the bass!

Squire VM P-Bass.

3. ...why?
I had a Squire Jazz and was looking to buy a fender, i played quite a few pre-owned fenders in the £400-£500 price range and then tried a few squires too and surprisingly, i found very little difference between the £300 VM P-bass and then £500 Fender... So i grabbed this little bad boy and bought my self a new cab! Couldnt be happier tbh it plays like a dream!

Music Man stingray with a maple fretboard and a natural finish OR a natural or white American Deluxe P-bass Special

5. ...why?
I always had a stingray fetish... the slap tone is beautiful and i love the look. The p-bas is just beautiful and i really want a active bass!

It would be in the top 3. I dont have many hobbies, it tends to be that thing i do once i come in from being out...

Well, i would like a career from it but realistically i know that wont happen! So i just enjoy the buzz i get from playing live music and hope it leads somewhere in the future

Ermmm im not sure really, i would probably say 3 or 4? Ive been playing bout 2 and a half years and im reasonably good, but by no means am i experienced...

Well, it would be a 4 string fender P. White with a black scratch plate. It would have matte black hardware and come stock with some DR black beauties. Maple fretboard, Black fret markers. Twelfth fret inlay would be a black rose and maybe a little design on the scratch plate!

Gallows. I adore them, not to everyones musical tastes but to me they are gods! Then Probably RATM, Tim is one of my hero's... And probably Pulled Apart By Horses... They are only a small band but they got somewhere by writing kick ass riffs and doing awesome live performances, basicly they are who i want to be as sad as it sounds...

my electric guitar got water damaged and i couldnt get it to work so while i was on ebay shopping for another one i noticed that basses were kinda sexi. After a few days of watching awsome youtube bassists and youtube videos where Flea makes everything he touches look 100% cool, i decided to buy a bass :]
note: my electric guitar actually does work now though. after it dried out i tried it with 2 different amps and it wouldnt work but when i tried it with my bass amp it worked. turns out my amps were crap but i like bass better now anyway.

a silvertone revolver with a sunburst finish and alot of stickers.

3. ...why?

it's my only bass....

a punk model 32 fleabass or touring bass since model 32's are out of production

5. ...why?

a) bcz it's a beginner bass and if i were to get something all fancy and shit i'd feel like i didn't deserve it.

b) Bcz i luv Flea

c) bcz i like the colour scheme....alot

d) i slappa da bass mon

other hobbies? far above knitting.....below painting/drawing etc below writing.....well i guess it's below everything that i actually have talent for, but near the top of the things i do for shits and giggles.

career? pft! im finna be a lawyer.....a lawyer who slappa da bass :]

holy ****! RHCP wants to endorse me!? alrighty then!
lets get an tiger maple body, a maple neck, a rosewood fingerboard, some DR neon strings and a translucent grey finish! (i did this for aesthetics only)

1) Panic! At The Disco (lyrically)
2) RHCP (tone)
3) Motion City Soundtrack (etc.)

(all three bands have stickers on my bass)
1. Why do you play bass guitar? I love it. Having played many instruments overtime, its the one that I really related to musically

2. What is your "main" bass guitar? My old Accubass at the moment

3. ...why? Its all maple, Pbass knock off. It has a tone that is just great for all sorts of rock and R & B.

4. What is your ideal production model bass guitar? Urge II

5. ...why? Its like the best of all worlds sound and playability wise.

6. Where would you rank bass guitar compared to your other hobbies? Its right up there with cooking, because if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd spend the rest of my life cooking and playing bass.

7. Do you want to make a career out of music or are you solely a bedroom/hobby bassist? I went down the "working musician" route one summer. It's too hard and I didn't like beans and rice THAT much. At this point, I'm happy to do a few gigs and play with my friends.

8. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being absolute beginner and 10 being John Entwistle, how good do you think you are? Be honest. People say I'm really good, but I'd put myself at a 6.5 or 7. I'm competent but I think there is vast room for improvement.

9. Your favourite brand, ______, give you an endorsement and say they want to make your signature model; what do you design? Take into account the limitations of signature models over custom models. I'd be happy if Spector just took one of their Euro series 5er and slapped my name on it.

10. What are your three biggest influences when it comes to music. Musicians, bands, albums, etc. Stax and Motown have a great influence on my electric bass playing. I heard a tonne of it growing up. I also was very influenced by Tina Weymouth's playing as well as Bruce Thomas, and both them come out of that style of playing.
1. Why do you play bass guitar? Because 6 strings are too hard

2. What is your "main" bass guitar? Westone Electra X640N

3. ...why? It's the best bass I ever played

4. What is your ideal production model bass guitar? When they cost
that much, I don't pick um up.

5. ...why? I have good credit, but if I use it, I'm a gonner.

6. Where would you rank bass guitar compared to your other hobbies? Right up there.

I'm too old. I gave that idea up when we had kids.

8. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being absolute beginner and 10 being John Entwistle, how good do you think you are? Be honest. 3, but I'm 15 from Entwistle

9. Your favourite brand, __?____, give you an endorsement and say they want to make your signature model; what do you design? Take into account the limitations of signature models over custom models.

10. What are your three biggest influences when it comes to music. Musicians, bands, albums, etc. Beatles, Stones and so on.
Last edited by tabdog at Jul 3, 2011,

Better suited to my tastes, love the sound, I have massive fingers.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz

3. ...why?

Been cycling though basses for years now, finally settled on jazz basses and saw this beauty for £600.

Same as my Fender but with a maple fingerboard.

5. ...why?

Maple feels stiffer than rosewood so it feels nicer to slap and tap on.

Joint first with PC gaming.

I would like a career in music but not necessarily playing bass, i.e. producing, etc.

I think people missed the scales here. I would say five, I know plenty of advanced techniques but I lack the efforctless finesse that older players have.

Fender Jazz, sunburst/tort/maple, Nordstrand pickups, same preamp as Deluxe but with a mod frequency knob (stacked with mid boost/cut). Slightly lowered frequency for the treble. Badass III Bass Bridge.

Geezer Butler got me playing; John Entwistle got me to spice things up a bit; Tim Commerford got me to calm the **** down and play properly.
Because I wanted to start a band in middle school with some friends, and they already played guitar I ended up on bass and I've just stuck with it since. It was the first string instrument I seriously played and I took a liking to it.

My Fender Precision Bass (MIM)

3. ...why?
Its my favorite out of the basses I own (maple fretboards ftw!)

A Steinberger XL, but its long discontinued. If it has to be currently in production, then right now its a Fender Mustang.

5. ...why?
Because the Steiny feels absolutely perfect in my hands, and it sounds nothing short of amazing. The Mustang because I'm in to short scales lately and its just an old favorite.

Pretty highly. Its probably my number one "hobby" right now since my art has turned into an academic pursuit.

I'd love a career playing music, but that's not likely to happen for me. Definitely not just a bedroom player, but I don't think it will ever be my main source of income either.

That's hard to say, I'll be conservative and say something in the 5-6 area. I'm fairly good and I don't think there are any major holes in my playing/technique/skill/etc, etc but there's still lots and lots of room for improvement.

Damn you for asking this question Jon! I have too many ideas.

I'll be completely impractical and say a Fender Precision bass in fiesta red or shoreline gold metallic with a white pickguard with a Lane Poor humbucker in the sweet spot, chrome hardware and a graphite neck sourced from Status.

I don't really have a good answer to that atm. If I come up with something I'll edit it in.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jul 3, 2011,

Because I enjoy it. I play mainly guitar, but I'll never forget that I started out on bass, and I love coming back to it, and sitting back in the pocket, rather than being at the forefront of everything.

Fender Jazz Fretless (MIM)

3. ...why?

Currently, it's the only bass I own

Hmm, tricky one, but I'd have to say a Warwick Corvette Standard (Bubinga, with passives).

5. ...why?

Because, despite being a polar opposite to my Jazz, the neck feels so right in my hands, and the bass can range from nice, smooth Jamiroquai, and with the right help, to a raunchier, overdriven tone. Plus, the body is nice and small, and I love the compact design.

Being primarily a guitarist, I rank bass as #3 in my hobbies, after acoustic guitar and electric guitar, but its still a great hobby, and gets me thinking outside thebox a bit more, especially when it comes to lead guitar.

I would love a career in music, but it probably won't be playing bass. My bass playing starts at bedroom practice and recording, and goes up to playing fill-in gigs for bassists who can't make gigs.

Oh man, this is hard....I used to think I was good, but time and maturity has led me to look at my playing as a constantly evolving thing. Plus, the fact that I play 75% of the time with a pick on guitar, my fingerstyle has really suffered, and my hands aren't used to spanning the fretboard of a bass as much, has further depleted my bass skill.

That said, my theory is solid, and I can usually make an interesting bassline for a song, so I'm going to say 4.

I love the idea of a transparant green or purple Jazz bass, with a maple neck/fretboard, with pearloid whte block inlays, a pearloid pickguard, a BadAssII bridge, with chrome P bass knobs and strung with permanantly new Rotosound 66s.

Either that, or just a Corvette Standard, with a slightly thinner neck.

10. What are your three biggest influences when it comes to music? Musicians, bands, albums, etc.

Flea first got me interested in bass, and using it for other things, other than just plodding away on the root note. He also taught me the wonders of slap bass, and provided a gateway to bassists such as Larry Graham, Bootsy Collins and Mark King.

Listening to John Deacon of Queen showed me how to be subtly effective and powerful, in a band that had the best rock frontman of all time (IMHO) and one of the most skilled and inventive guitarists the world has known (once again, my opinion). This calmed my playing down a bit, after trying to be like Flea, and got me writing classier, more mature basslines.

Dan Briggs from BTBAM also showed how to stand out in a band brimming with talent, with a great perspective of weaving countermelodies into the base of a riff, and still has the best right hand technique I have ever seen.

- Bizarrely, I started playing because my best friend (who is a musical genius, seriously, the guy had composed symphonic movements by the time he was fifteen) wanted to create a fuzzy, psych/prog album recording. I had no prior musical experience so literally had to man Keyboards, Bass, drums and exotic percussion from scratch. It was a great experience, but the learning curve was high, and my desperation to record perfect takes is probably why I have horrid technique today.

- My Farida JB-6.

3. ...why?

- Because it is probably the highest quality bass in it's price range. The thing rest between MIM and MIAs in terms of quality and it roars.

- The Farida JB20...

5. ...why?

- Because It blows every other Jazz I have tried out of the water. I owned one at one point too.

- Probably top. I'm in about five or six bands as bassist and in those, or alone, probably make about fifty home recordings a week :p

- I'd love to, I REALY would, but at this age I've invested more time into other academic subjects.

- What does good mean? I mean, I can play some difficult songs, and groove some simpler tunes, but as stated earlier, my technique is rancid. Mainly due to stubborness and lack of guidance I'm sure, but I regularly have to adapt tricky songs into my odd right hand stance. I'd say 4 to 5...

- God, Farida obviously (I will get endorsed one day :p ); with a Fretless P with a bucker hanging at the end of the neck and a noiseless J in the bridge. The neck would have a two octave range, and the bucker would have a true split toggle. Mahogany body...

- I can narrow my first bass influence to a single passage; The Bass backing beneath the guitar solo on Rush's ''Freewill''. You cannot listen to that and not bob your head to the groove. John Wetton after that is one of my favourtie tasteful players for the bass, and finally, the use of bass in early doom metal. People hear 'metal' and instantly go ahhhh, but really, theres so much groove to be had there. Anything Al Cisneros and Warning have done is just mindblowing.
I've enjoyed reading other people's responses so here's mine:

It's so damn chilled. I loved the idea of just being in a band focusing on the groove in the background. The lead guitarist and singer can go around being the egomaniacs, which is ok with me because I'm in the knowledge I'm keeping everything together.

As of now I am essentially bassless.

3. ...why?

I've got a borrowed MM Stingray which I don't play for various reasons and the only other bass I own is a 1977 Fender fretless p-bass which needs some serious work before it's worthy of playing.

Ernie Ball Stingray Dual Humbuckers (Natural Wood finish).

5. ...why?

It's a beautiful instrument. Versatile, sounds great, looks great and feels wonderful.

Unfortunately, I'm playing much more guitar recently so it's probably 3rd/4th on my list. I expect that will all change when I get a new bass, I've got the motive, just not the equipment!

I would love to make a career out of music, been searching for some work experience in a music studio or something somewhere recently actually. But, as with all the cool jobs it's unlikely I will "make it", and I can completely live with that as I will still enjoy playing bass.

I would say 6, technically I'm fairly good but there's some music theory knowledge lacking. Not the actual theory, as I know some decent stuff from guitar but knowing how to apply that to playing bass/creating basslines.

I really don't know, I've not played a big enough variety of basses to be able to list off all the things I look for in a bass (see MM stingray as above!).

I'll answer this question twice as a musician in general, then as a bassist:

Muse and Red Hot Chili Peppers first and foremost, just because I've been for a ridiculously long time and there's no way something can be a part of your life for that large a period of time without it affecting you. Then I would have to go with System of a Down, because of the combination of brilliant musicianship and political messages.

Then as a bassist it would be Flea, I think he's quite simply the best, Stuart Zender because he makes infectious but subtle grooves and lastly Dave Grohl because of general awesomeness.

Great thread!

Because I love it, Ilove the sound and the possibilities you have to use it as a main instrument or a secondary instrument in a band

My Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

3. ...why?

I love the sound

A single cut 6 string bass with a HS pickup configuration

5. ...why?

because its awesome

number one priority behind comics and videogames

A hobby mainly, here in my country is horrible to make a career out of music

I will be a 7

A 24 fret Stingray 5 with a HS pickup configuration

Musician: Geddy Lee
Bands: Porcupine Tree
Album: Lateralus by Tool

I continue to play bass out of necessity in my local music scene, I'm one of few bassists that goes beyond a punk or hardcore style in my area, also I have quite a few connections with musical friends. I also thoroughly enjoy it. Being able to do so much with the same used up worn out chord progressions in a unique way. Love that feeling.

The only one I have. My Squier VM Fretless w/ Gotoh 201 and Dimarzio Model J pups.

3. ...why?

My only one. I'm looking at buying a nice mid-range bass ($1500 or less).

Ah I'm not sure. I've got my eye on a few that seem really appealing. G&L L2500, Lakland 55-02, or a EBMM Sterling 5.

5. ...why?

Active/passive electronics, wide tonal variety, fretted, 5 string. The things I'm looking for. I'm looking for a bass that will last a long time, they seem to have that rep.

My only other hobbies are listening to music and hanging out with drunkards. So it's number one. It's what I do all the time, with everyone. I'm a massive music slut.

I want to be a session player. Hence playing all the time, building musical connections and forming bands with the people I feel are talented enough to go somewhere.

I think I'm a 6 or 7 on my very good days. On average I'd say I consistently pull out a 5. I'm happy with that, but I will be better.

Ah... I don't have brand loyalty, just appreciation for nice basses. But let's say...

HH with covered pole pieces, Swamp ash body, 5 string, 2 band eq boost/cut, vol/vol, series/parallel switch, single coil options for each pup. I'm not sure.

John Frusciante and all his work in general.
The Mars Volta and ORL in general.
Radiohead.

These musicians/bands cover such a wide variety of styles and influences I can constantly pull new things from them to use in my own music. Phil Selway's drumming is a constant influence on rhythms and sounds on my bass playing.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Page 1 of 3