hi,
im having trouble with my high e string;the other day my string snapped and I replaced it and just before it reached the correct pitch it snapped again so I once again replace the string and it continued to happen and I got though many packets of strings this way. I looked it up and it said that it might be a sharp bit on the guitar so i filled every thing down and the problem is still there. I have not had this problem before so what should I do?
where does the string break? thats where your problem is

also put some pencil shavings in the nut and to lubricate it so the string doesnt catch on the nut
I use 0.09-0.42 strings and I had the same problem...bought a new set of strings and my high e snapped in about a minute after i installed it. Then another high e. I put 0.11 B string instead of e and it's still holding...

I think i might have an e-string phobia now...
Kombat Gear:

Quote by some1fat
          I use 0.09-0.42 strings and I had the same problem...bought a new set of strings and my high e snapped in about a minute after i installed it. Then another high e. I put 0.11 B string instead of e and it's still holding...

I think i might have an e-string phobia now...

If your string is breaking, it's either due to the guitar or the string has been mis-tuned. I have several guitars here and have NEVER had a string break after changing them, while tuning or even during playing. Of course, these are all quality instruments. If your string breaks, you need to identify where it broke and then determine what caused it. Is there a burr in the saddle cutting the string? Is the nut improperly cut, causing the string to pinch and bind during tuning? Was the string bent too far, causing it to excede its design limits? Replacing the string with a thicker gauge is not the answer, it's only a workaround that ignores the original problem.
          It's possible that the bridge of your guitar may need reset as sometimes if it's too high it puts too much tension on the string causing it to break...
          Quote by KG6_Steven
          If your string is breaking, it's either due to the guitar or the string has been mis-tuned. I have several guitars here and have NEVER had a string break after changing them, while tuning or even during playing. Of course, these are all quality instruments. If your string breaks, you need to identify where it broke and then determine what caused it. Is there a burr in the saddle cutting the string? Is the nut improperly cut, causing the string to pinch and bind during tuning? Was the string bent too far, causing it to excede its design limits? Replacing the string with a thicker gauge is not the answer, it's only a workaround that ignores the original problem.

First time it broke where the string is attached to the tuner(I was down-tuning it atm). Second time right in the middle of the string. Both D'Addario strings. The nut is ok...strings are not breaking near it, I don't think it was caused by a sharp saddle too.
          Kombat Gear:

thanks for all the help I have tried 2 different gages of string since the problem started and have had no success and as far as I can tell it has broken near the tuner. I have filed it down but I have had the guitar for a few years now and why would the problem emerge now?
                  sometimes filing the bur doesnt help.

adding lube to all string contact points also might not help enough.

if you find that strings continue to break at the tuner point,
                  sometimes replacing the tuner is the way to go.

cheap, easy and if you already needed or wanted locking tuners,
                  can be a blessing.
                  Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
                  Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
                  Maybe your tuner sucks?
                  Maybe your nut/bridge/fret sucks?
                  Maybe the string sucks?
                  Woffelz

Twitter
                  Youtube
                  Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
                  Alesis Core 1
                  BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!