I've been playing guitar on and off for about 4 years now. I'm decent I guess. I can improvise some blues and stuff, and I can honestly say I can finally play Stairway to Heaven. I play metal all the time, like Impending Doom, Carnifex, The Black Dahlia Muder, But I'm sick of playing other peoples songs!!

I really have been trying to stick to the Key of E because thats just what I started learning most of my stuff in, and it seems silly to jump to another key.

I know the penta scales thoroughly, the blues scales, major and minor scales.
I suppose I'm sufficient with the circle of fifths and I understand completely with how it works, but I'm at a stagnant point.

I want to be able to structure what I play, I don't know a damn thing about chord progressions, how to make them or what chords sound good with which. I know the major, minor, seventh, and major seventh chords, but I still can't put these things together.

I guess what I'm asking is, having learned what I already have learned, where the hell do I from here?

Thanks!!
Learn it all on piano now. It's amazing how much it'll change the way you look at guitar.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
i dont know if i can say this here but check licklibrary website. and browse their goods and you will maybe find your answear.

have a nice day to ya alll!
Quote by Bhfield
I've been playing guitar on and off for about 4 years now. I'm decent I guess. I can improvise some blues and stuff, and I can honestly say I can finally play Stairway to Heaven. I play metal all the time, like Impending Doom, Carnifex, The Black Dahlia Muder, But I'm sick of playing other peoples songs!!

I really have been trying to stick to the Key of E because thats just what I started learning most of my stuff in, and it seems silly to jump to another key.

I know the penta scales thoroughly, the blues scales, major and minor scales.
I suppose I'm sufficient with the circle of fifths and I understand completely with how it works, but I'm at a stagnant point.

I want to be able to structure what I play, I don't know a damn thing about chord progressions, how to make them or what chords sound good with which. I know the major, minor, seventh, and major seventh chords, but I still can't put these things together.

I guess what I'm asking is, having learned what I already have learned, where the hell do I from here?

Thanks!!

I think you answered your own question.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK