so Ive been looking at the VHT Special 6 Ultra and the Blackstar HT-1R. I want to be able to get grunge,fuzz,hard rock and metal sounds. So I'm thinking no matter which amp I get I'm going to need to get pedals but I'm just not sure at all which amp I do want. From the videos I've seen it seems like the blackstar is more for metal and the VHT is good for hard rock and stuff like that also no matter what I amp I do get I want to get a Devi Ever fuzz pedal in the future. so can anyone give me some advice on which one would be best for me?
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
ESP: H-1001
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
Tone Mob Model 001 Fuzz Generator
DOD Bone Shaker
Stomp Under Foot Sonic Warfare
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Haven't tried either of those. I would recommend at least trying out a Vox valvetronix vt40+. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it but I think it was around $250 or so. It has tons of different settings and you can get just about any sound you want out of it. Also, it's got a foot pedal that has space for 8 presets.
Quote by TeaEsKSU
Haven't tried either of those. I would recommend at least trying out a Vox valvetronix vt40+. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it but I think it was around $250 or so. It has tons of different settings and you can get just about any sound you want out of it. Also, it's got a foot pedal that has space for 8 presets.

I want a tube amp
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
DOD Bone Shaker
Quote by Levi79
Have you considered something digital like a Pod? I was all about tubes before, but I got a Pod and love it. On a budget you'll get alot more bang for your buck.

+1
i loved the sound from my valveking 212.

until i got a POD X3 Live for my birthday thus year.
now the VK is used as a power amp, on the clean setting with the EQ all flat.

TL;DR: POD's are great deals. especially used xt or x3 live, or depending on your budget, the floor POD is a great deal, too
Quote by Levi79
Have you considered something digital like a Pod? I was all about tubes before, but I got a Pod and love it. On a budget you'll get alot more bang for your buck.

No I haven't thought about that and don't want that. I want to be able to get my own sounds with pedals and not presets from digital stuff.
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
DOD Bone Shaker
Well, for fuzz, you're gonna need a pedal. Although I'd absolutely pay for an amp with built-in fuzz.

In fact, if I ever build an amp, it's going to have built-in fuzz.

The HT-1's technically more of a hybrid amp, actually. It still sounds good, but yeah, not quite a full tube amp.
With a budget of 300 dollars, you're not going to get anything either very powerful or versatile. Unless you go with modeling, but you stated that's not what you want.

For the music you want to play, you will definitely need pedals. And those don't come very cheap, so I think what you need to do first is save up some more money.

I would say, look at the Fender Super Champ XD. It's outside your budget, but you might find one second hand. The Super Champ will give you some of the versatility you need, but don't expect it to do everything.

Otherwise, a Bugera V22 or Laney CUB12 might work. Then again, I'm not a tube expert.
Last edited by Minimum92 at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by NIN1993
so Ive been looking at the VHT Special 6 Ultra and the Blackstar HT-1R. I want to be able to get grunge,fuzz,hard rock and metal sounds. So I'm thinking no matter which amp I get I'm going to need to get pedals but I'm just not sure at all which amp I do want. From the videos I've seen it seems like the blackstar is more for metal and the VHT is good for hard rock and stuff like that also no matter what I amp I do get I want to get a Devi Ever fuzz pedal in the future. so can anyone give me some advice on which one would be best for me?

The Blackstar is a hybrid amp.

Your budget is too low, and, while I prefer the sound of tube, tube does not always = good.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90