Hello UG, mostly new guy around, a beginner guitarist with a Epi Les Paul and a Vox VT20+ here.

Ahem.

I have been playing for a month now and now have some pretty heavy duty calluses on the tip of my fingers. So thick in fact that will never feel any pain or discomfort whatsoever, even after spending hours playing. I use Ernie Ball regular slinky, which are a bit harsher than the D'Addario XL, that I don't like so much, and I have no trouble with them. The problem is, I'm pretty hyped up about achieving my goal of playing better than Petrucci, but after a month of walking my fingers around my rosewood fretboard, I find that the tip of my fingers is very ugly and constantly peeling off. The skin is pretty thick still, no problem at all, but the skin is constantly breaking and, well, peeling off layer by layer. It doesn't affect my playing, mind you, but I'm a salesman and I have to be kind of conscious about my appearance, and my fingertips don't really look the part.

My question is, is this the case for every guitarist, is this normal? Or will it go away with time and will my calluses build even thicker and will the skin stop breaking and peeling off?

P.S.: My calluses were built from scratch after I blistered my fingertips after playing too much the first two days after I bought my ax, so the skin was born already used to the damage of the strings... I didn't build the calluses over time, I had them basically fully grown after a single week :P
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
Last edited by Tiago Sa at Jul 2, 2011,
Quote by Tiago Sa
Hello UG, mostly new guy around, a beginner guitarist with a Epi Les Paul and a Vox VT20+ here.

Ahem.

I have been playing for a month now and now have some pretty heavy duty calluses on the tip of my fingers. So thick in fact that will never feel any pain or discomfort whatsoever, even after spending hours playing. I use Ernie Ball regular slinky, which are a bit harsher than the D'Addario XL, that I don't like so much, and I have no trouble with them. The problem is, I'm pretty hyped up about achieving my goal of playing better than Petrucci, but after a month of walking my fingers around my rosewood fretboard, I find that the tip of my fingers is very ugly and constantly peeling off. The skin is pretty thick still, no problem at all, but the skin is constantly breaking and, well, peeling off layer by layer. It doesn't affect my playing, mind you, but I'm a salesman and I have to be kind of conscious about my appearance, and my fingertips don't really look the part.

My question is, is this the case for every guitarist, is this normal? Or will it go away with time and will my calluses build even thicker and will the skin stop breaking and peeling off?

P.S.: My calluses were built from scratch after I blistered my fingertips after playing too much the first two days after I bought my ax, so the skin was born already used to the damage of the strings... I didn't build the calluses over time, I had them basically fully grown after a single week :P

Well here is how I see the transformation of a guitarist's fingers. 1st step is painful mangled, shredded skin when you first start out. 2nd is where you are, heavy thick unsightly callouses, that work to stop pain but also are somewhat overkill. Thirdly, and lastly, is where I and a lot of guitarists who have been playing for a while am which is slightly rough fingertips that look normal but still provide full protection while you're playing. So basically, yea what you have is normal and yea it'll go away. Also, chicks do dig it, like he said ^.
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Or will it go away with time and will my calluses build even thicker and will the skin stop breaking and peeling off?

Yes. If you dont play for a few days/weeks and come back to it you might notice some peeling skin or if you have an unusually long practice session that might happen, but generally your hands should look 'fine' (i.e. a bit callousy).

Anyway, if yer a salesman then having callouses could improve yer chances of making a sale to a (very observant) guitarist.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 2, 2011,
Don't fret...hmm sort of a pun...your finger tips will heal and will look normal. Using string lube will also help i've found
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Thanks a lot you all for the replies. I guess I'll just have to keep going without fear and hopeful they'll get back to "normal". If not, well, it's not reason enough to quit playing, of course.

Quote by Hydra150
Anyway, if yer a salesman then having callouses could improve yer chances of making a sale to a (very observant) guitarist.

Haha, as they are the moment (my hands, that is), they wouldn't need to be that very observant :P

Quote by carnagereap666
I feel like the odd one out. I've been playing about 6 years and I don't have callouses, but playing doesn't hurt. SUCCESS!

Hum... Not playing hard enough?

Quote by marshmellow666
chicks dig em

Yeah, yet to find that out for myself though :P
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm