I'm using the interval ear trainer and I noticed I have trouble recognizing the difference between Major 2nd and Major 3rd.

Even referring to the songs doesn't really help (using Happy birthday for M2 and when the saints for M3)

any tips would be great thanks.
Last edited by Mellowman549 at Jul 2, 2011,
listen to songs where they have the major 3rd as a big part

like uhm magic carpet ride during the "close your eyes girl" part thats one big major build up

or twist and shout the whole ahhhh Ahhhhh AHHHHH!!! its first 3rd 5th and stuff

or stevie vaughans pride and joy yo
Quote by Mellowman549
I'm using the interval ear trainer and I noticed I have trouble recognizing the difference between Major 2nd and Major 3rd.

Even referring to the songs doesn't really help (using Happy birthday for M2 and when the saints for M3)

any tips would be great thanks.

If you don't mind me asking, what website are you using? My tutor recently assigned me intervals stuff and I've been procrastinating .
A major second from the root generally wants to resolve downward to the tonic, and has a natural tendency to pull or gravitate that way, whilst the major third is much more consonant and unified when played consecutively with the tonic.
When you hear a major second interval - or major third interval - think to yourself ''does this want to resolve to the tonic right away (M2)? Or is there a hesitation or another step to take before resolving (M3)?