So, yes, I just bought a nice-and-expensive Taylor guitar. I shouldn't be spending more money. And now that I'm poor, I will.

However some things just sound so good, coming home from the shop and not having it there makes you not want to play. Such was this case. And it wasn't too expensive, either, so all-in-all I was able to justify selling some junk and doing some work to get the money together.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you...Box!

What is in the box? Only one way to find out! ...Well, other than looking at the bottom of the box at least.

The prize is close now...

That's right, a Fender Mustang III! Originally I was earnestly planning to wait at least a month or two to recover from the Taylor, but in addition to lowering the price, due to a sale at another store, for a week, they were willing to throw in the 4-button footswitch for free. So, in addition to Ableton, Amplitube, a 100W amp with modeling that actually sounds good, and being $40 off, I got a free $60 footswitch, but only if I bought today, tomorrow or Monday.

I may owe a friend $60 I need to repay by the end of the month, but that's doable if I hustle, and given otherwise I'd have paid $60 more, I'm fine with this.

More to come, including clips, once I can play with it, only finished unboxing!
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
HNAD. They're good amps. Oh, clean your damn room.

Also, who the hell has 56K anymore?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof

People who don't live in the US and have unlimited bandwidth.

I saw made in China on the box, and I died a little on the inside.

Nice grab though, happy NAD
Quote by ethan_hanus

I had the same experience when I saw that. Is nothing made in the US of A anymore??? Anything???

HNAD

Which Taylor did you get?
Erm... maybe you should reconsider the shots of the box. The URL kinda gave the NGD away lol.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by KG6_Steven
I had the same experience when I saw that. Is nothing made in the US of A anymore??? Anything???

HNAD

We still make high end tube amps here. Gotta keep the crazy delicious stuff for ourselves.

HNAD, TS. The Mustangs are probably my fav modelers for clean/low gain stuff.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah, I know some companies still do. I have some American made guitars and amps here and they're not cheap. They are good, though.
Quote by NosralTserrof

It's just that one corner, because I never can clean around the amp. The cup and bottle on the bottom are both in the trash now, too.

Quote by ethan_hanus

Thanks mate. As for MIA-CE, I thought the same thing. I was hoping for Made in Mexico or somewhere else I know Fender manufactures in, but sadly China it is. Still, for the price and sound, I'm willing to compromise.

Quote by KG6_Steven

HNAD

Both of my guitars are. And it's an 814ce. Spent about half a year buying nothing, and saving the money from nearly a temp job a month, a bunch of paid physical labour for neighbors, three paid gigs, and finding a lost cat with a $200 reward in order to get the money for it. Well-spent too; It's one of the best guitars I've ever heard, which is why I was so willing to go after it.

Quote by ragingkitty
Erm... maybe you should reconsider the shots of the box. The URL kinda gave the NGD away lol.

It's not supposed to be a surprise. If it were, I'd have about three or four more box shots, as I did with the Carvin and Taylor.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
HNGD dude. They're pretty cool-sounding amps

Thanks mate; I know it makes a difference recording, but I don't think the room is going to make a make-break difference, and it sounded good instore, so it should indeed sound good here too!

Quote by mmolteratx
We still make high end tube amps here. Gotta keep the crazy delicious stuff for ourselves.

HNAD, TS. The Mustangs are probably my fav modelers for clean/low gain stuff.

What I would do to get my hands on a good, US-made tube head...

Quote by KG6_Steven
Yeah, I know some companies still do. I have some American made guitars and amps here and they're not cheap. They are good, though.

Get what you pay for, in my opinion. The only exception I make is, fittingly, Fender's amps; my last amp was a Fender tube amp, and I still think it beat so many other amps that were more expensive, both clean and overdriven.

HNAD. Amazing isn't it?

We have the same amp
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
HNAD. Amazing isn't it?

We have the same amp

Amp five! And it definitely is. Had some time to play with it, so to satiate the new gear day rules of "Needing pics, clips and/or review", here's a review to keep the thread open until I get some clips up, done in the style of UG's standard reviews. Bear in mind the honeymoon stage is still on, too.

Features: It's a modeler amp. These things are always feature-laden. This one is no exception. Being such effectively and pleasantly or intuitively so is something that most are challenged by. I honestly knew most of the stuff though in the "Advanced user guide" PDF just from trial-and-error and common sense from trying it instore. If you're able to operate a computer, you'll have no issues operating this.

One thing that really sets it apart in this area though is the Fuse software. I've never actually liked modeler amps until I bought this thing, so I don't know if this has become something common with them, but being able to connect it to my computer and edit the presets on there, in my comfy chair, strumming a chord to check the sound, is so much nicer than having to bend over and mess with the amp's controls(It's a good interface, but lets be honest, a mouse and keyboard are much easier to use than knobs for editing things when things outnumber knobs) to get it right.

I'll also say this now - Get the four-button footswitch. It makes things so much nicer, and being able to program the two-button to work along with it for tap-tempo and/or preset switching is a great thing for messing around already, I imagine it'll be a godsend live or while writing.

Sound: The fact the modeling actually sounds good(It doesn't beat tubes yet. But if you're not a guitarist you won't be able to tell, and if you're not looking specifically for whether or not it's a tube amp, you won't notice it. Even then you have to pay close attention IMO) is a big selling point, especially for $300. Beyond that, it has your usual assortment - Tweed Fenders, blackface, bassman, etc.(All by name for once since it's Fender), 70's & 80's "UK", "90's metal", all of them you can really figure out by looking at the LED display.

With the exception of the chorus, which they have sound good on presets, so I know can, but I cannot for the life of me get to sound good, and as such will be bringing my CE-5 with and using with the effects loop(Did I mention it has an effects loop even though it's $300?), the effects are great all-around. In-particular I love the ring modulator and pitch shifter, as I'd pay hundreds for those in pedals before this amp.

I haven't tested the authenticity of the modeling yet(Taking an artist who I own the same guitar as, finding their exact settings, programming them into the model amp they use, and seeing if it sounds right), but whether or not the amp models are accurate, they sound good. I trust the Fender models are spot-on though since Fender made the amp.

Durability: I have not owned it long enough to test this in the slightest. However if it's like my other Fenders, it'll be there with Fender's guitars, Keith Richards, and the cockroaches after the nuclear winter - I've used those things as stands, tables, chairs, footrests hammers, levels, small desks, weights, and barricades. Occasionally I use them as amplifiers. They still look great and work perfectly.

Overall: Again, honeymoon stage. But it sounds good, even though it's a modeler. It looks good, which is always nice. The interface is very nice for an amp, and absolutely effortless with the included software. It's a bargain when you factor in Ableton and Amplitube, too.

I love tubes tonally, but I hate the cost and maintenance with them, as I'm poor, and valves are temperamental and expensive. This guy has the models good enough that I don't feel too bad switching over from tubes, which is a testament to any digital amp.

Maybe it's because I love a clean Fender, and again, being Fender, they nailed the Fender models, but I love it. It's light, loud, and it works for most things I tried on it. Haven't tried heavier shades of metal on it yet, but every modeler seems to have a following of deep metalheads, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it can.