I have 1988 Peavey Special 150 that needs a little attention. Namely replacing the power transformer as it is smoking. What's the average cost of replacing, parts and labor? Thanks.
Oh yeah. Before I get alot of dumb answers and comments, no, I have not plugged it back in, yes, as soon as I saw the smoke it was inplugged and not plugged back in, no, I did not dick around with it, never been wet, kicked, dropped or mutilated in any way. Just old.
The transformer itself will cost anything from $100 to $1000 depending on the brand. Anybody that charged more than $100 to fit it is a thief.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not really looking to spend anymore than $50 or so. Heck, the amp is old, and been well used and maybe abused. Just bought it for $20. Thought I'd get it going as a practice amp.
Oh sorry, you said power transformer. Even a Mercury should cost less than $300. The cheapest quality option would be a Classic Tone from Chicago as long as you can get one with the right voltages. You still won't get one for $50 unless you can find a used one that's been pulled out of a busted amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification