Ok, I know that tube radios include almost everything a tube amp has, basically what I want to do is switch the radio input with an input jack. Is it really that simple? If not what else needs to be done?

Furtermore, if the above works, how would I go about replacing the radio speaker with a larger one, would I need more tubes or could I just change the powersource. If there is a guide to this that would be great thanks.

If you have a pic diagram of where to connect what that would be the best ever!
There are a lot of variables there. depending on the make/model, it may be hard to get a hold of the schematic, but it could definitely happen. experiment... if you blow it up, what have you lost?
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Yes it is that simple. But if the radio is an "all american five" setup (a setup where the tube's plate voltages run just straight from the wall power with no transformer) you need to put an isolation transformer between the cord and where the power wires go. Then ground the chassis. This will help with noise too. Other than that, yes, it is that simple. For the speaker, just disconnect the wires from the speaker, hook them to a 1/4" jack and run it to an external speaker of the same impedance of the current speaker (important for not blowing the amp up).
Quote by poochy
There are a lot of variables there. depending on the make/model, it may be hard to get a hold of the schematic, but it could definitely happen. experiment... if you blow it up, what have you lost?

My hands!!!!
Warning: kinda nasty. Look at your own risk.
http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/thumb-toe-e1277229894181.jpg?w=450&h=338

On a serious note thanks for all the help I'm going to try this for sure, way cheaper than buying a real tube amp.

Pic edited into a link by a Moderator, do not change it back or you'll get warned or banned.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Yes it is that simple. But if the radio is an "all american five" setup (a setup where the tube's plate voltages run just straight from the wall power with no transformer) you need to put an isolation transformer between the cord and where the power wires go. Then ground the chassis. This will help with noise too. Other than that, yes, it is that simple. For the speaker, just disconnect the wires from the speaker, hook them to a 1/4" jack and run it to an external speaker of the same impedance of the current speaker (important for not blowing the amp up).

so how is it that one could connect the guitar to the antenna input of a radio... (technically this is the input). guitar has a couple hundered millivolts while a radio antenna has a few microvolts..

i had an old tube table radio and just built a pentode version Champ into the case with the old radio parts. easier imho.