Hey there,

it's almost time for my band to start practicing, but we're in need of some amplification. We need powered speakers to amplify our lead and backing vox, and potentially an electric drum kit. (On a side note, how practical is it for a drummer to bring an acoustic kit to practice?)

I already have a mixer, so that part of the pa equation is taken care of. These speakers would be used purely for practice in my garage. Cost is an issue, and I know the perils of buying no-name gear, but these speakers seem great for the price ( I understand that sound quality won't be the best, at this stage volume is the priority XD)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLUB-15-POWERED-ACTIVE-PA-SPEAKER-MIXER-AMPLIFIER-/170634229780?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item27ba97b814#ht_6668wt_1141
Quote by nickamoorus
Hey there,

it's almost time for my band to start practicing, but we're in need of some amplification. We need powered speakers to amplify our lead and backing vox, and potentially an electric drum kit. (On a side note, how practical is it for a drummer to bring an acoustic kit to practice?)

I already have a mixer, so that part of the pa equation is taken care of. These speakers would be used purely for practice in my garage. Cost is an issue, and I know the perils of buying no-name gear, but these speakers seem great for the price ( I understand that sound quality won't be the best, at this stage volume is the priority XD)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLUB-15-POWERED-ACTIVE-PA-SPEAKER-MIXER-AMPLIFIER-/170634229780?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item27ba97b814#ht_6668wt_1141

It's very practical to have an acoustic set at practice. The real issue is, is the set going to be at the place you are practicing? Because otherwise the drummer is going to have to be hauling it back in forth from practice to home. Which I'm sure he will love to do a couple times a week.

For your own practice space you don't need anything crazy. We for a while, we just ran vocals through the the bass amp. It was enough to hear yourself and that's all that really matters for practice. Recently we got a pair of yamaha speakers from craigslist for just a couple hundred dollars. Sound awesome!
Yeah, I think we're going to end up keeping an electric kit at the practice space and running it through the pa. I've tried running vocals through a small bass amp before, and they were pretty much inaudible, and we didn't even have a bassist playing at the time. How powerful were the speakers you bought, because I would think these speakers would be powerful enough, if they are trustworthy.
Squier Tele Vintage Modified Custom > Laney TF300
ours are 15" speakers w/ 2" tweeters and a 1000 watt peak. Which is more than enough for practice lol. Those you are looking at should be fine as far as actual output goes, it's just sound quality you have to worry about. Which is always the problem when buying online =/. I would search youtube to try and find a demo of them or something so you can hear them and make sure they don't sound like shizit. Maybe some reviews and what not.
The thing is these speakers don't have a brand name, they're probably only sold through this ebay store so I won't be able to find any reviews on the actual product.

Edit: The seller has great feedback on ebay, and everyone seems happy with this particular product. I'll have to pick one up, you can't really go wrong at 250 bucks.
Squier Tele Vintage Modified Custom > Laney TF300
Last edited by nickamoorus at Jul 4, 2011,
Hi, The way they save money on cheap speakers is to compromise on the drivers, particularly the bass driver. The magnet will be smaller which usually means that they won't be as loud as a top brand. You might get 116dB out of a cheapy and 124dB out of a good speaker. That's nearly half the volume or the equivalent of using more than 4x the amplifier power. The other trick is to use a shorter voice coil to get the volume but leaves the speaker short in the bass department as you rack the volume up.

Having said that you won't need that much volume in the practice room and they will do as stage monitors when you do start gigging. The sound quality probably won't be as much of an issue as it is relatively easy nowadays to design good sounding speakers and there is no real saving in making something that sounds reasonable.

There's more detail in this http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/a_guide_to_live_sound_speakers_and_amps.html and there should be links to my other articles.

Cheers