So I'm going to be buying a new guitar probably at the end of the month and there's two guitar's I'm looking at: A Mexican Fender Strat or an Ibanez RGD 320.

I like to play a lot of 80's heavy metal (Megadeth, Metallica, mostly Maiden though) but I also play a lot of hard rock.

I know that if I buy the Strat (and if I want a good metal sound of it) I have to swap out pick ups to probably Hot Rails. This of course would raise the price to about 800 dollars from 500, not including the price to get someone to switch out the pickups. The RGD would only be 500 dollars and I don't think I'd switch out the pickups (plus I like the 24 frets).

Which Guitar should I get?
umm.. you could buy an HSS fender or an HH Fender blacktop series. having said that what pickup are you going to put in that costs that kind of money. something like a hotrail would only cost about $75 tops and another $20 to install (unless you do it yourself.
Quote by monwobobbo
umm.. you could buy an HSS fender or an HH Fender blacktop series. having said that what pickup are you going to put in that costs that kind of money. something like a hotrail would only cost about $75 tops and another $20 to install (unless you do it yourself.

I'm looking at these pickups
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/7300/Guitars/Accessories/Seymour_Duncan/Hot_Rail_for_Strat_in_Black_-_Bridge.htm
Get the fender, dude. Fells better, looks beter, plays better, f*ck Ibanez. i know it's not your style, but Killswitch Engage's second album uses fender's with hot rails, good tone on that. go for it, plus, you'll have a unique look xD
Well, I say you shouldn't limit yourself to just those two guitars. Try this, if you can, go into instrument stores, and try out different guitars. This is recommended a lot for good reason, it definitely helps.

On a different note, Why don't you give schecter a look as well? They do some good quality guitars for a fair price tag. Good for hard rock and metal, and can do cleans very well too. You can probably find a used C1 Classic for around 500 (they were selling 500 new when trying to get rid of them). I can play from core metal to jazz for my schools jazz band, So I'm sure you can get a hard rock feel out of it.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Out of curiosity, why these two guitars? They're so... different. I get the feeling that you should figure out more what you want first.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Mezhen

Still, how often do you think you'll need a neck humbucker for what you're playing? 99% of metal (especially in the '80s) is played on the bridge pickup. There's practically no need to replace all three Strat pickups for Rails, and I wouldn't even upgrade the middle either, but at that point, I'd be looking at a HSS Strat.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by FckinCocoaPuffs
Get the fender, dude. Fells better, opinion
looks beter, opinion
plays better, opinion

Going by what you play, the Ibanez suits alot better, but playability is a really big thing. They feel very different so try them out first.

Unrelated question but why is the 24 frets a selling point for the Ibanez (to you). How often do you go past 21???
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?