Page 1 of 2
This guitar LOOKS awesome on paper EXCEPT the esp lh 150 pups. Although I've heard bad things i want to know you guys' opinions on the guitar in general, and also on the pups. But MAN this thing looks bad ass!

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPGL200K
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Electro Harmonix Pocket Metal Muff
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Ratt 'N Roll FOREVER!!!!!!
1. get guitar, don't like the pups change em out.
2. ???
3. Profit
Quote by tobuei

3. Profit

What's your logic behind that, sir???????

+ TS, your probably paying alot for the paint job on it. They would cut down on quality to give it better looks to lure people into buying it. But I have to agree, that is very very sexy

Well, if you want it you could get it and swap pups but the playability/construction wont be as good. Another thing to prove my point, no grover tuners. Most guitars in that price range (especially ESP and Schecter) have grovers.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC

+ TS, your probably paying alot for the paint job on it. They would cut down on quality to give it better looks to lure people into buying it. But I have to agree, that is very very sexy

Well, if you want it you could get it and swap pups but the playability/construction wont be as good. Another thing to prove my point, no grover tuners. Most guitars in that price range (especially ESP and Schecter) have grovers.

I've heard that the necks are AMAZING. I'm just worried about the pups. but i think in the end i'll pick this beauty up!
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Quote by JKHC

This. It's a signature guitar, you pay for the name on top of everything else. And it's a cheap one at that. You'd never see George Lynch use a Floyd Rose Special, he'd kill it, and those pickups will not give his sound, they are just the generic LTD pickups they put in their cheap guitars. So really, you are paying for the paint job, because that's the only signature thing about it. That price is way too high. You can get other LTDs for $250 that are identical, spec-wise.

Edit: Here's an example of the same guitar for about half the price, minus the body style and paint job. Get it at guitar center with a coupon and you've got it for half the price of the cheap George Lynch sig.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Jul 4, 2011,
Well what would you guys say about this one? I'm all around looking for a guitar for a guitar with th\e ability to play hair metal, but also things like Metallica. I'm an over all metal freak.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-KH-202-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Series-Electric-Guitar-105316459-i1399248.gc#customer-reviews
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Quote by twistedsista521
Well what would you guys say about this one? I'm all around looking for a guitar for a guitar with th\e ability to play hair metal, but also things like Metallica. I'm an over all metal freak.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-KH-202-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Series-Electric-Guitar-105316459-i1399248.gc#customer-reviews

I think you can get an ibanez rg370dx with a zero2 bridge and swap the pups.
Why pay for a name on a low end model?
It dosent even have his pickups in it. Why artists endorse such overpriced models is beyond me. Look at some used guitars. Way cheaper and usually get a better quality instrument for your money.
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Jul 6, 2011,
Oh yeah, I meant to put a link in my last post, but messed that up. That must have been a little confusing.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-f-50-with-floyd-rose-electric-guitar

I understand that it's easier to choose a guitar, especially online, if you can go by an artist that you know and like. Again though, I have to advise against a signature guitar, unless maybe it's a real sig, but then you're paying into the thousands, and still paying for the name really, but at least it would be a decent guitar.

So I'm guessing your price range is around $500? If you want value for your money, look used. You can find used LTDs and Schecters for half their value. The Schecter Hellraiser is a common one, and the Blackjack is good if you can find one. Or if those aren't hair metal enough for you, search for Ibanez RG or S series used. If you find a Japanese Ibanez for less than $500, you may be done searching. Many times, they either come with Dimarzio pickups or had the installed aftermarket, so that's a plus. The S series are great, even the Korean made ones, because they have the ZR tremolo that won't wear out, and a nice neck, but the stock pickups on a Korean S series are atrocious. But you can get an S470 for $300 used or an S570 for less than $500.
Quote by twistedsista521

I have tried that and it plays just like an Ibanez RG series. The pickups are pretty good but the problem I have with those guitars, is that your paying for Kird Hammett endorsing it. He definitely never used a $500 guitar. Many pros heavily associated to brands have guitars with exact scale length and every nuance the players need in them, so it won't be the same as his guitar.

There are better things out there. Now, instead of paying for a design, your paying for two small words under (probably) the LTD logo.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Understood. BUT i really would like to have an ESP, even if it is an LTD. But i wanna a straightforward super strat, more like the hammett then the guitar that W4RP1G gave me a link to. And although the floyd isn't an origial, i've played on one, and it is still a killer bridge.
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Quote by twistedsista521
Understood. BUT i really would like to have an ESP, even if it is an LTD. But i wanna a straightforward super strat, more like the hammett then the guitar that W4RP1G gave me a link to. And although the floyd isn't an origial, i've played on one, and it is still a killer bridge.

You're not going to get a "killer bridge" for less than $600 maybe even $700 unless you go with used. A FRS isn't even close to being a OFR which cost about $200 all by itself.

Now for ESP/LTD super strats that you're not playing for a signature model

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-m-100fm-electric-guitar/516643000011000

Now if want to get into the next higher price point this is a really nice super strat.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-h-351fr-electric-guitar

Comparable to a Jackson DKMG which cost about $200 more...

EDIT:
Quote by Offworld92

If you change your mind from wanting an LTD, you're going to get the most bang for your buck with an old MIJ Ibanez though.

One of these is on my wish list. Alas I'll have to wait until next year to get my RG550 or RG570 unless I find one at a really good price between then and now.

Quote by Offworld92

EDIT: If you can, wait around for one of the older M-400+'s. Those had Alder, which is the proper wood for this model. I can't even begin to guess why whatever idiots are running LTD now decided to start using mahogany for the M's.

I'll debate the validity of alder being the proper wood. MIJ RG5xx are basswood as are many of the RG3xx and RG4xx.

IMHO Basswood is a good compromise tone wise between alder and mahogany
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jul 6, 2011,
Quote by twistedsista521

I just used that as a price example, it was the first guitar I could think of. Willowthewitch has the right idea, those guitars aren't priced based on an endorsement.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-ESP-LTD-M300FM-Electric-Guitar-Nearly-New-/170663513713?pt=Guitar&hash=item27bc568e71

http://cgi.ebay.com/ESP-LTD-M-300FM-Electric-Guitar-STBLK-Black-/140573764831?pt=Guitar&hash=item20bad96cdf

http://cgi.ebay.com/ESP-LTD-M-300FM-Electric-Guitar-STBC-/160615883393?pt=Guitar&hash=item256573e281

Good wood, real EMGs, Pretty good Floyd (one of the best your going to get in your budget anyway.)

If you change your mind from wanting an LTD, you're going to get the most bang for your buck with an old MIJ Ibanez though.

EDIT: If you can, wait around for one of the older M-400+'s. Those had Alder, which is the proper wood for this model. I can't even begin to guess why whatever idiots are running LTD now decided to start using mahogany for the M's.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 6, 2011,
Quote by Willowthewitch
You're not going to get a "killer bridge" for less than $600 maybe even $700 unless you go with used. A FRS isn't even close to being a OFR which cost about $200 all by itself.

Now for ESP/LTD super strats that you're not playing for a signature model

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-m-100fm-electric-guitar/516643000011000

Now if want to get into the next higher price point this is a really nice super strat.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-h-351fr-electric-guitar

Comparable to a Jackson DKMG which cost about $200 more...

EDIT:

One of these is on my wish list. Alas I'll have to wait until next year to get my RG550 or RG570 unless I find one at a really good price between then and now.

I'll debate the validity of alder being the proper wood. MIJ RG5xx are basswood as are many of the RG3xx and RG4xx.

IMHO Basswood is a good compromise tone wise between alder and mahogany

Would the esp ltd h351fr be good for hair metal and classic heavy metal?
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Quote by Offworld92

I know it's kind of off topic, but could you explain more what you mean by that? Why is alder a better wood for that model?
Quote by twistedsista521
Would the esp ltd h351fr be good for hair metal and classic heavy metal?

I selected it as an example of what would be a good guitar for most styles including the ones above.

Quote by W4RP1G
I know it's kind of off topic, but could you explain more what you mean by that? Why is alder a better wood for that model?

It's not really off topic at all we're talking about how chose a guitar based on what it is rather than who's endorsing it.

Now the thing about alder is one of the traditional woods for strats.

It's what gives a strat the really bright awesome sounding cleans on the neck pickup. I know the TS seems to not care a about cleans.

That very likely is a right here right now thing. Most people eventually want to experiment with a number of styles. Learning a number of styles will make you a better musician...

Here would be a few examples of guitars that based on branding rather than what they are...

Over half of the Dean Razorbacks with a "Dime" branding are complete and total crap. With price points as low as $300 these cheaply made imported guitars most likely account for 3/4th of the total sales. Ask yourself would Dime have endorsed cheaply made imported pieces of junk?

Now we get to Kirk Hammett signature models they range from $500 to $3000 do you honestly think Kirk Hammett would play a $500 guitar.

Then we have the ESP/LTD guitars I linked in before.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by W4RP1G

Every single ESP and LTD (not counting 200 and below of course) M model until a couple years ago was made of Alder. It's just this new M-300 that is made out of mahogany. Generally speaking, the MH and H models are mahogany, while the M's have always been alder.

There are some ESP Horizon models that are alder, and some that are ash, but as far as LTD goes, it's always been very streamlined.

So yeah, I'm not at all trying to say that alder is a better wood than any other wood or anything like that, or that the TS needs alder, or whatever. I'm just saying continuity wise, the ESP M model is supposed to be alder.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ok I gotcha. I was just wondering if you thought the current models with mahogany lacked the same quality of the alder models.

Personally, I never really care what the guitar is made out of as long as the pickups go with the wood. I put dark pickups in a mahogany 7 string, it was way too dark. I put the same pickups into my alder 7 string(which seriously lacked balls before) , it's now perfect to me.

I think that's one good thing about basswood: it can take just about any pickups and make it sound good with the right EQ.
I think i found my guitar guys!!!! I decided that i would rather not buy a guitar with emgs, cause i'm a Seymour Duncan lover. Check this out!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-MH-327-Electric-Guitar-105795520-i1503625.gc

I of course want to go with the black one, but it looks like it would be a great buy!
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Quote by twistedsista521
This guitar LOOKS awesome... ....MAN this thing looks bad ass!

Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32

Coming from the guy sporting a $300 piece of B.C. Rich crap.
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Quote by twistedsista521
Coming from the guy sporting a $300 piece of B.C. Rich crap.

that was more than three years ago Taste changes a lot, huh.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
that was more than three years ago Taste changes a lot, huh.

hahaha you'd be correct sir. You need to update your gear!!
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Quote by twistedsista521
hahaha you'd be correct sir. You need to update your gear!!

Yeah, I'm getting a new guitar soon, and will be building one next summer, so It will be updated soon. But I guess if you like it, get the guitar.
Where's Waldo?
Hey chadreed how's your ibanez? Would you recommend it? How are the pups?
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Well i guess i actually want to ask about the guitar in general besides the pups cause i'll pry change those....
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Quote by twistedsista521

I like it a lot. The neck is really thin and fast (which I like a lot - one of the best parts of the guitar). I think they updated them, and now they come with a Wizard III ( mines a Wizard II) and a Zero Point 2 trem, rather than the Edge III ( which I take care of really well, so it works perfectly). I would say the pickups are a little lacking, but they're upgradable. As far as the feel goes, its amazing. Maybe I just got a good one, but its so damn comfortable to play, I love it. In the price range honestly I don't see many better options.

Sorry for the wall of text.
Where's Waldo?
That guitar, spec wise, is pretty similar to mine, other than the changes I listed earlier and it has different pickups, and of course the S shape. I like the blue one.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by twistedsista521

For the money you'd put into a RG3xx or a RG4xx you're going to get made in Indonesia if you get a new one.

You can get a Made in Japan RG550 or RG570 which are much better guitars off the used market. They can go for as little as $300 if you don't mind some minor dings and dents.

IMHO a guitar isn't properly broken in until it has at least one ding or dent someplace

EDIT: I would recommend you actually play it first. I can't stand ZR bridges I think they feel weird. This most likely comes from playing floyd's for so long.

You might not have a problem because starting out with a ZR you wouldn't know or notice the difference.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jul 14, 2011,
I actually really like this guitar, and it has amazing pups (i've tried em), but i'm worried about the edge III tremolo. Would i be better off getting an ibanez with a ZR?

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-XPT700
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

I would really like you guys' opinions on it.
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Nobody here really likes the Edge III, but honestly, if you know what you're doing it will work as good, if not better, than any mid range trem. I would't worry about it if you take care of your instruments. But the XPT-700 has D-Activators in it, so thats a plus. Just go play it and see if you like how it feels.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Nobody here really likes the Edge III, but honestly, if you know what you're doing it will work as good, if not better, than any mid range trem. I would't worry about it if you take care of your instruments. But the XPT-700 has D-Activators in it, so thats a plus. Just go play it and see if you like how it feels.

The only mid range that's better is the Floyd Rose Special (FRS) made in Korea. It has a better quality base plate so the knife edges hold up better. Other than that the quality is about the same.

The other disadvantage of an Edge III is the bar doesn't click or screw in so it will wobble sometimes.

The nice part is an OFR is a drop in replacement for either.

EDIT:
Just my 2¢ if you have an Edge III and parts start to wear out a FRS is an affordable drop in replacement.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by Willowthewitch
The only mid range that's better is the Floyd Rose Special (FRS) made in Korea made. It has a better quality base plate so the knife edges hold up better. Other than that the quality is about the same.

The other disadvantage of an Edge III is the bar doesn't click or screw in so it will wobble sometimes.

The nice part is an OFR is a drop in replacement for either.

Just my 2¢ if you have an Edge III and parts start to wear out a FRS is an affordable drop in replacement.

The bar on the Edge III is magnetic, so there's no threading to do. Its a plus in my opinion. If you dive the trem down a little there's a small Alan Wrench screw that will tighten up the bar, so it will stay where ever you leave it. I don't know why but people always seem to overlook that, and nobody knows about it.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
The bar on the Edge III is magnetic, so there's no threading to do. Its a plus in my opinion. If you dive the trem down a little there's a small Alan Wrench screw that will tighten up the bar, so it will stay where ever you leave it. I don't know why but people always seem to overlook that, and nobody knows about it.

I don't know who told you it has a magnet they lied to you.

I have one in my RGR320EX I bloody well know it wobbles and moves around because it's held in by friction.

Do you even understand what I mean by wobbles?

The bar itself is made of harder metal than the base plate. When it starts to wear the bar will get play in it and wobble the knife edges will also start to wear wobble

Even if the imaginary magnet did exist. It wouldn't prevent the bar of getting looser in the slot with use and or "abuse"
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Willowthewitch
I don't know who told you it has a magnet they lied to you.

I have one in my RGR320EX I bloody well know it wobbles and moves around because it's held in by friction.

Do you even understand what I mean by wobbles?

The bar itself is made of harder metal than the base plate. When it starts to wear the bar will get play in it and wobble the knife edges will also start to wear wobble

Even if the imaginary magnet did exist. It wouldn't prevent the bar of getting looser in the slot with use and or "abuse"

You do know that its adjustable right? There is a little whole when you dive that you stick a 2 inch allen wrench in to tighten it. that way it stays.
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
Blackstar HT Club 40

Page 1 of 2