Hello. My name is Drew. I have a proposal for you. I'm a self-taught guitarist who's been trying to learn music theory concerning chord composition, scales (fitting, why, etc.) and how to compose a good chord progression. For myself, who has never been in band or in any music related thing other than playing Guitar Hero It has been very difficult.

I'm asking whoever may be willing to Skype me, or some sort of video chat, to help teach me. Reading the mass of information on the internet is hard to understand, especially being that most of it was written by people who already understand it. Plus, for me, having someone explain it is immensely easier for me to pick things up.

In RETURN, I'm a near-professional level graphic designer / photo editor / photo-manipulator. I mainly have a portfolio of Photo-manipulations and banners, because that's mostly the requests I had through high school and college. I'd be willing to trade my digital art skills for your teaching me music theory. If this idea sounds acceptable, I'm willing to create a banner / edit a photo for you before we begin, for you to get an idea of what my skills are.

I know there's potential for you to rip me off there, but honestly, I believe you guys are more on the honest side, and if you REALLY needed some work done, you could just ask.
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
You should check out Sean0913 on here. He's like, the god of Music theory on this site.
yes, moved to MT so more music-theory-types can find this...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Taerran
Hello. My name is Drew. I have a proposal for you. I'm a self-taught guitarist who's been trying to learn music theory concerning chord composition, scales (fitting, why, etc.) and how to compose a good chord progression. For myself, who has never been in band or in any music related thing other than playing Guitar Hero It has been very difficult.

I'm asking whoever may be willing to Skype me, or some sort of video chat, to help teach me. Reading the mass of information on the internet is hard to understand, especially being that most of it was written by people who already understand it. Plus, for me, having someone explain it is immensely easier for me to pick things up.

In RETURN, I'm a near-professional level graphic designer / photo editor / photo-manipulator. I mainly have a portfolio of Photo-manipulations and banners, because that's mostly the requests I had through high school and college. I'd be willing to trade my digital art skills for your teaching me music theory. If this idea sounds acceptable, I'm willing to create a banner / edit a photo for you before we begin, for you to get an idea of what my skills are.

I know there's potential for you to rip me off there, but honestly, I believe you guys are more on the honest side, and if you REALLY needed some work done, you could just ask.

Hi Drew,

With thanks to Skullivan for these sentiments, I'm humbled.

Honestly, I'm no better than anyone else here. Plenty of people know their stuff here, and any of us would be available to help you I can't even start a list, because I'd leave someone off that deserved to be on it. You can throw a rock here and knock down 20 guys that can help you. Information and facts don't change from one "expert" to the next.

Unfortunately Skype would not be an option for me, that I could consider, because of my schedule. I do teach my material online, and have had incredible results, and many students are in this very forum (though I don't see them posting on here for help anymore )

That said, two of my local students, are the two leading Professional Photographers in this area, and so any photo work that I'll need, would probably go through them, although I appreciate the offer.

I also offer a free Mentoring service, and if you'd like to learn more about that, just click the link in my sig, and I'll do my best to help!

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 3, 2011,
I'd recommend sean too
You could try me, but I wouldn't recommend that
I'm not an expert at first, I'm quite chaotic, have my own theories and my english isn't too good either so at your own risk^^
lalala
Their are lessons on UG, and if you need help with anything, we are all more than willing to answer.

Although some of us like to make a wall of text.... But im not pointing fingers.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by Taerran

I do teach via Skype. Id be willing to help you out for free. No return services necessary.
shred is gaudy music
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I didn't imagine I'd see so many, so fast.

Sean, while you definitely seem to be a knowledgeable individual, I think most of my questions would be similar to what you teach as a paid service, so unfortunately I don't think it'd be fair of me to waste your time. :S

Munky, that sounds fantastic. Being the broke person that I am, I can't really afford lessons, so offering those services is pretty much all I have. I'll pm you with my Skype name.

Thanks again guys!
-Drew
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
Quote by Taerran
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I didn't imagine I'd see so many, so fast.

Sean, while you definitely seem to be a knowledgeable individual, I think most of my questions would be similar to what you teach as a paid service, so unfortunately I don't think it'd be fair of me to waste your time. :S

Munky, that sounds fantastic. Being the broke person that I am, I can't really afford lessons, so offering those services is pretty much all I have. I'll pm you with my Skype name.

Thanks again guys!
-Drew

Thanks Drew!

You wouldn't waste my time. If it created an ethical conflict with that of a student of mine, ethics will win out every time.

Munky knows his stuff, he should be able to help you! Good luck with that!

Sean
Although not being a god of theory myself, i've seen Munky and Sean help many a lost soul through the realm of theory in the short time ive been here. Good luck