Can anyone else on UG focus and unfocus their vision as if they were turning the lens of a high-end camera? I can and most people don't believe me or fully understand what it is.

Imagine looking through a microscope and adjusting the lens. That is what I can make my eyes do. As fast as you can read this: Bluuuury, cleeeear, bluuuury, cleeear I can adjust my vision.

Other than just finding others like me and informing others what it is, I had an idea.

If people with poor vision, IE people that need glasses, could learn to control the same muscles that I use to change my vision perhaps they could cure their need for glasses!

Any opinions?

TL: DR Could being able to adjust ones vision (like adjusting a camera lens) somehow cure the need for glasses?

EDIT: It is not changing from the foreground to the background, I am still staring directly at something but it is as if I need glasses.
Last edited by Uber_Kitty at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by Baby Joel
All I got from this is that you can use your eyes as lenses.
Which is what they are.

Imagine just staring at a picture and conciously using a muscle in your eyes to make the picture blurry. (without crossing them or "looking past the picture")
you're just changing your focus from the foreground to the background and so on.

Your eyes are lenses dude.
Quote by Icehawk217
you're just changing your focus from the foreground to the background and so on.

Your eyes are lenses dude.

This is a problem us accomadative seers have, convincing people that what we have is real...
Accommodation is the process by which the vertebrate eye changes optical power to maintain a clear image (focus) on an object as its distance changes.
Accommodation acts like a reflex, but can also be consciously controlled. Mammals, birds and reptiles vary the optical power by changing the form of the elastic lens using the ciliary body (in humans up to 15 diopters). Fish and amphibians vary the power by changing the distance between a rigid lens and the retina with muscles.[1]
Quote by Uber_Kitty
This is a problem us accomadative seers have, convincing people that what we have is real...

It is real.
The thing is, everyone can do it.
Quote by Baby Joel
All I got from this is that you can use your eyes as lenses.
Which is what they are.

/thread.

Everyone can do this.
Quote by Uber_Kitty
Accommodation is the process by which the vertebrate eye changes optical power to maintain a clear image (focus) on an object as its distance changes.

Yiou're changing the focus from foreground to background. I can do it too. It is bad for my already shit eyes so I don't do it. You're not special.
Quote by Uber_Kitty
Accommodation acts like a reflex, but can also be consciously controlled. Mammals, birds and reptiles vary the optical power by changing the form of the elastic lens using the ciliary body (in humans up to 15 diopters). Fish and amphibians vary the power by changing the distance between a rigid lens and the retina with muscles.[1]

I'm pretty sure everyone with healthy eyes can consciously control it. You're looking at your computer right now right? Change your focus so that instead of looking at these words, you are looking at your reflection in the monitor. If that's what you're talking about, everyone can do that.

^ It's bad for your eyes?
Quote by Uber_Kitty

TL: DR Could being able to adjust ones vision (like adjusting a camera lens) somehow cure the need for glasses?

TL;DR no.
I can do it, you can do it, everyone can do it.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
I'm pretty sure everyone with healthy eyes can consciously control it. You're looking at your computer right now right? Change your focus so that instead of looking at these words, you are looking at your reflection in the monitor. If that's what you're talking about, everyone can do that.

^ It's bad for your eyes?

Not what I am talking about. I am still looking at the words directly, but it is blurry.
Yea I can do that. I never thought of it as weird or something other people couldn't do.
Quote by Uber_Kitty
Not what I am talking about. I am still looking at the words directly, but it is blurry.

Yeah. I can do that too. As can everyone else. It's not hard at all.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by Uber_Kitty

everybody can do that
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
i can do that..... i remember playing with it in 2nd grade.
F' IT
(whats the worst that could happen)
Quote by sonnikkthunk
Yea I can do that. I never thought of it as weird or something other people couldn't do.

Same.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'm fairly certain a doctor would tell you that this isn't so special...

I'll handle that responsibility.

This isn't that special. Your eyes are lenses, if you couldn't adjust your eyes, anything not in the exact optimal distance would appear blurry.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
This is almost as dumb as my friend who thinks he can cause an adrenaline rush in his body by holding his breath and tensing his muscles.
I have it. I never knew what it was called or attempted to ask anyone else if they had it. If you blur it too much the image splits in two, right?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Uber_Kitty

If people with poor vision, IE people that need glasses, could learn to control the same muscles that I use to change my vision perhaps they could cure their need for glasses!

Any opinions?

To an extent. As someone who has accommodative vision and contacts, I can tell you that if you needs contacts, it's beyond the point of the AV helping.

You know what a focal point is. Extra tissue on top of your eye changes the focal point to the wrong point on your optic nerve, creating bad vision. LASIK surgery removes tissue from your eye, moving the focal point to the ideal spot.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
yep I can do it. I do it to relax my eyes sometimes
"Ladies and gents."

That concludes our tour of the toilets.
i can do it. i still need glasses and it doesnt help
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Do you look like this when you do it?

WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I can. Totally know what you're saying.

But because I'm slightly sleepy, I can't focus my eyes to absolute clarity now.
Being unable to see has nothing to do with how they control the muscles.
It's down to the material in the eyes being damaged by either stretching or foreign objects.

Glasses just make the incoming light line up with the lens on the front of the eye so it's focused on the back of the eye.

For those who are far sighted, the front lens cannot be stretched properly because the muscles don't work.
For those who are near sighted the opposite is true, the muscles are too short so cannot relax far enough to allow distant objects to focus.
If you bothered to pay attention to your peripheries while you were doing this, you'd notice objects further away than your computer screen come into sharper focus. Maybe not 100% clear, but clearer than when the words you read aren't blurry. You're too busy focusing on your screen to notice the background and that it's completely normal. I even typed half of this message while unfocused on the screen.