Page 1 of 2
What do you think it is? Feel free to really only think in terms of yourself. Perhaps living in a huge city like New York would be depressing for you, but obviously not for others.

About a year ago, I got this fascination with reading about very remote or arctic islands with small populations, and saw some places where it's just hard to imagine living there. Some places include Grytviken, Ittoqqortoormiit, Svalbard, etc. In Greenland I remember reading that suicide rates have gone up with things like the internet and TV becoming more accessible and popular as people get a better picture what the world is like outside where they live.

The place I found the most depressing-looking was a town called Oqatsuut in Greenland. Some 40-50 people live there. Economies in towns like that rely pretty much on fishing.

Quote by RU Experienced?
I'm having a lot of fun trying to pronounce this.
I've heard it before. It's pronounced It-o-kuh-tor-mee-it. The "kuh" part might have more of a "q" sound, and I didn't hear it because it's hard to hear when said fast.
Quote by The Madcap
I've heard it before. It's pronounced It-o-kuh-tor-mee-it. The "kuh" part might have more of a "q" sound, and I didn't hear it because it's hard to hear when said fast.

It's difficult to pronounce because it uses combinations of consonants and vowels that are uncommon in english to make up the phonemes.
Quote by RU Experienced?
It's difficult to pronounce because it uses combinations of consonants and vowels that are uncommon in english to make up the phonemes.

Thanks professor. You sure are experienced!
I think Greenland and Svalbard would be ok as long as there are people I'm close too, but after a year I'd probably be sick of it.

For me, certain areas in Russia. Specifically by myself in northern Siberia.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by RU Experienced?
...Uh, Yeah.....
China.... I hate censorship...
Quote by arsonite
I flash my ridiculously white teeth at you in contempt Sir!

Quote by son_of_bodom

OT: variety is the spice of life, my genitals don't discriminate on the basis of religion.
I've heard Manchester is. In fact, I've heard most of northern England is.

Russia's got one of the highest rates of suicide and alcoholism in the world, so I'd guess it's probably not too fun to live in, either.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jul 3, 2011,
Greenville, Mississippi. Unless you're a crack dealer or a redneck.
Quote by BK202
I've always wanted to learn to speak Inuit. It's the most interesting looking language.

Inuit is not a language, it is a term that refers to the people indigenous to northern Canadia. It is typically fairly cold and inhospitable in these areas and they rely mainly on fishing and hunting to not die.
Quote by CaptainRon
edmonton

Dude Edmonton is actually pretty okay depending on the neighbourhood. Only get held up about once a week!
Antarctica... pingouins are dicks
Quote by fail
Either you're safe or you've won the whole damn thread.

Quote by CoreysMonster

epic win. total, epic win. this is probably the best OC ever created on UG.

kudos, sir.

kudos.
Quote by El_Lobo_1
China.... I hate censorship...

Then Australia should be on your list, too.

Also, please don't abuse ellipses like that.
Quote by K Reyn
I always heard Seattle is the most depressing place in the U.S. but I didn't think it was that bad. The middle east looks pretty damn depressing though.

Seattle is ****ing awesome. I agree with the Middle East. Isreal and the UAE, for example, don't look depressing, but Iran esepcially looks like a very sad place.

Edit: Being rich in the DRC would kill me.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by witideable
Dude Edmonton is actually pretty okay depending on the neighbourhood. Only get held up about once a week!

By dirty bogans.

bogan = native
Quote by darkcheef

oh my god

seriously though, it depends on who you are

those cold as fvck fishing communities, i dunno, i think that in a more simple way of life where people all play roles in getting food, making shelter, blah blah blah, that sense of community and family really is that "complete" sense of life even if they arent living as luxuriously

some people will feel extremely lonely and lost in a busy city atmosphere, but personally i love that crazy, never asleep feeling

i'd say those places in africa, asia, south america where it's just totally destroyed by coorporations taking advantage of unsanctioned areas, where thousands of children are spending their entire childhood working in factories with no regards to safety, employee rights, etc

i remember a few years back in school, we also watched this documentary about this place in china i think that was literally swamped in garbage. people were literally living in heaps of waste and scrap metal.
I heard that Seattle is statistically the most suicidal city in the US.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

the place i was talking about, this is Guiyu, China

im sure we all love technology to some extent, but this is an absolute disaster. Most of their living space is electronic garbage.
Page 1 of 2