I ordered myself a Pod HD 500 (I'll try to do a NGD, but idk if I will have a camera )

But here's the thing:

Earlier in the summer I talked to my dad about me working to get money to go off to college with (to pay for extraneous costs; laundry, food that isn't provided in meal plans, fuel to drive around town, etc) an he said that he was totally fine with me buying the pedal, but i knew he wasn't really paying attention or caring at the time

Recently, I talked to him about ordering said pod, an he was vehemently against it, saying I need at least $2000 USD to go off to college with... here's the kicker I WILL HAVE ENOUGH CASH TO BUY THE POD AND HAVE OVER 2000 leftover

But once I offered this bit of knowledge he still is refusing to let me and is saying that it's no different from the Pod XT live I currently have (which he forced me to buy used, and has a broke power jack so if I disconnect it from the pedal I'll have to take it in to be repaired )

Because he basically was changing the deal from what he initially said, my mom said to just go ahead and order it, because it's my money anyway...

So... I have a pod hd with an accessory of woop-ass because my dad still doesn't know... Suggestions?

Also, how easy is it to make the Hd series sound good effects wise? And are the effects super subtle, or way in your face like some of the XT series ones?

Thanks for any and all help, and sorry for the rant!
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
The effects are pretty good, with the exception of the distortions/ODs/fuzzes, which are just okay. Some of them are subtle, others over-the-top. Pretty much all of them have a mix parameter to adjust how much of the dry signal goes in, though, so you can make them more subtle if need be.
oh jeez you're going to college and this is your question.

come on dude.

man up.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
The best I can do is to tell you that eventually in your life you won't spend your time trying to keep your parents happy. Good luck with your gear.
Enjoy your new gear. Enjoy going against the convention prescribed to you. That's rock 'n' roll, baby.
Well more of what i meant is suggestions on how to not get in trouble or at least lessen it from my dad :-P my mom fully supports me buying it and thinks my dad is being unreasonable

I could care less whether he likes it, but the last thing I need is him being pissed and being more of a pain than necessary
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Worrying about getting in trouble =/= metal.

Sticking it to authority and embracing the possibility of getting in trouble = metal.

Be metal. Get in trouble over it. It'll feel good.
Quote by Metalmaker
So... I have a pod hd with an accessory of woop-ass.

LMFAO This. xD
Quote by CECamps
Worrying about getting in trouble =/= metal.

Sticking it to authority and embracing the possibility of getting in trouble = metal.

Be metal. Get in trouble over it. It'll feel good.

Oh you....
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
could you not get a job while your at college?
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !

Just remember what coach Klein said to the Waterboy after the Waterboy's mom expressed her distaste for him playing "da foosball."
Quote by Vikingx
The best I can do is to tell you that eventually in your life you won't spend your time trying to keep your parents happy. Good luck with your gear.

Nope, he'll spend it like the rest of us; keeping the wife happy.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
if youd like clips of some of the effects i have a few at

www.soundcloud.com/brokenlungs

then hd500 clean, loop, loop 2, and doom get a little extreme on the effects.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
If you're going away to college, just wait until you're out to college to get the pedal, and just hide the pedal... I hid a strat from my parents for a good 2 months until they walked in on me jamming. they argue that I already have too much guitar stuff... you can never have too much guitar stuff =P
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Quote by cheeekens
If you're going away to college, just wait until you're out to college to get the pedal, and just hide the pedal... I hid a strat from my parents for a good 2 months until they walked in on me jamming. they argue that I already have too much guitar stuff... you can never have too much guitar stuff =P

He'll have a hard time hiding the HD500.

Except under his bed, I guess.
Quote by Metalmaker
Well more of what i meant is suggestions on how to not get in trouble or at least lessen it from my dad :-P my mom fully supports me buying it and thinks my dad is being unreasonable

I could care less whether he likes it, but the last thing I need is him being pissed and being more of a pain than necessary

Your choice puts your parents at odds with each other. Not sure if that's important to you. Do they argue much as it is?
i am siding with razbo. don't cause a bad situation.

you have a pod xt, it works ok. i doubt you are gigging or even about to anytime soon, so don't spend the cash.

you have to think about your future, and you also have to be mature and consider what is wiser.

when you finally have a steady job, and cash to blow after taxes and bills, then consider getting lots of pedals and gear.
Quote by 00_hns_00

you have a pod xt, it works ok. i doubt you are gigging or even about to anytime soon, so don't spend the cash.

you have to think about your future, and you also have to be mature and consider what is wiser.

when you finally have a steady job, and cash to blow after taxes and bills, then consider getting lots of pedals and gear.

Dude, if he could think of it that way, I doubt he'd be asking us for opinions haha.

Anyways, just do what you like with your money. I think you can ask for all the suggestions you like, but at the end of the day, this isn't one situation where you can have your cake and eat it.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by 00_hns_00

+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Why bother caring about what your dad says? Life isn't long enough, and if you don't get what you want now, you'll regret it later. Besides, your mom is siding on you since its "YOUR" money.

Go make a song, play it to your dad, set the HD500 up in front of him before you play it. Make him understand that what you bought isn't a waste.

That's exactly what I did when I bought my Xiphos. In the end, he accepted it, and is actually boasting when we have family parties that I have a badass guitar at home.
Just spend the money on the pod.. it'll probably end up going to booze if you dont anyway like all students. As little money as they have.. haha

please note this might just be because i'm scottish..
Quote by 00_hns_00

Well, to be fair, the POD XT, while having several dozen more models than the HD, doesn't sound anywhere as good.
Quote by Holy Katana
Well, to be fair, the POD XT, while having several dozen more models than the HD, doesn't sound anywhere as good.

Totally agree. The XT/X3 Pods, while definitely usable, are leagues behind the HD Series.

Yeah that's my thing. I want at last $2,500 to go off to university with so I haven't bought anything in awhile. I'm just bringing one guitar and my RP1000.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Quote by AcousticMirror
oh jeez you're going to college and this is your question.

come on dude.

man up.

Good choice of words.

Your money=your money. Grab it, because it's miles ahead of the XT.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
It's when I read threads like these when I'm glad my parents have some concept of the importance of musical gear.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Holy Katana
He'll have a hard time hiding the HD500.

Except under his bed, I guess.

He could run the HD500 under his bed and then run the output to the x3 so it looks like he is using it haha.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Gift wrap it. Bring it home. Open and say it was from your girlfriend/best friend/ aunt/ uncle, etc. Ask your mom to help play along. Done. New gear and you lied to your dad.

Metal.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
with an extra 2 grand you should buy an axe fx, destroys your peavey, over 70 amp models tons of effects, but that's just my suggestion, or buy a more expensive ibanez. But seriously do you need a pod? Your going off to college, i really doubt your in a band (or at least a gigging one) or make youtube covers/originals and what not so is their a use for it? But it's your money so spend it how you please.
Last edited by maowcat at Jul 4, 2011,
That's pretty damn metal of you.

Why don't you try selling some of the stuff you own that you don't need to help pay for the Pod HD? It'll seem responsible, and your dad might change his mind.
Quote by Vulcan

^^ this, so much. spend so much of my time downplaying the cost of things, throwing out receipts and hiding gear. God forbid she gets to the mail before me and I've got to go through the "how stupid are you, we've got a mortgage and bills to pay" argument. Doesn't stop her buying expensive shoes, bags, etc.

Welcome to adulthood, you will never have your own money ever again so enjoy the purchase
Main Gear

93 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Jackson DK2M
Burns Red Special
Various other guitars
Marshall 9200 Power amp
ADA MP-1 Pre amp
Alesis Midiverb 4
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Marshall 1960b cab
TS 808 modded Boss SD1, Boss GE-7, Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Vulcan

Your fault for marrying someone who doesnt understand/accept GAS.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X