So I'm in a band right now (high school) and I'm not satisfied with the musical direction. When we started playing together we were playing really fast, raw hardcore stuff and it was really fun, but I'm getting sick of it now. My thoughts (that I made clear) was that we'd release a hardcore EP than try to explore other, more challenging genres (post-hardcore/math/noiseish stuff), still keeping a few hardcore elements that we enjoy.

Problem is that we are getting a lot of positive feedback and now the guys are telling me we'd alienate them and we should just stick to what we're good at. We've written a few new songs and they're all the same old minor thirds and simple pop song structure (i would like to get away from). I prepared a bunch of music I made that I thought would be a good direction to move in and they said "I don't think it would work here but we should start a side-project with that stuff". I get along with the guys great, this is the only problem.

I don't know, the bands going to be over in 2 years, should I stick it out until (hopefully) a college band or try to get them to be more progressive? Sometimes it bothers me a lot and sometimes I don't mind playing a 30 year old dead genre that everyone's heard before.
if they don't want to expand but you do, then start up another band. it won't turn out the way you want unless everyone is on board anyway. you can still play with them, but start another band. i definitely see what you're saying though man, i wouldn't want to keep re-writing the same songs over and over again either.

have you told them that you feel that its just the same shit, just wrapped in a new package? because maybe a couple of other guys feel the same but are afraid to say.

bottom line though, if you're not happy with the direction of the band but no one wants to change, get a new band. after all, you gotta play what you want to play.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Thing is i'm a little nervous about starting a new band, the first band I was in was a shitstorm and I like the way this band works (especially omg a bassist who wants to Play bass). If I were to start my dream band, I have a feeling it would be with these guys. But I can't get them to move out of the genre. I'm friends and play with a lot of the available musicians at achool and I'm not sure any of them would make a good full out band.
Quote by TheWEBBY
"I don't think it would work here but we should start a side-project with that stuff".

If that's what the people in your band said (do forgive me if I'm taking this out of context or if I'm just completely wrong) then maybe that's what you should do?
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
maybe you should try slowly integrating progresiveness into your bands playing

for starters you could make a song with slightly more interesting structure

then incorporate more complex riffs and solos etc.

take little steps into that direction,, explain it to your band, ask them if they want to kick their playing up a bit. If they say tnat they wouldnt mind, but fans... yada yada, then be persistent on making yojr bands sound more interesting. I mean, fans are people that like your music, if you change your sound a bit, who says that youre not going to get some more fans out of hardcore circle?

good luck
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
I think the fact that your band mates don't want to 'alienate fans' is reason enough to not play with them as they obviously aren't there for the music. I wouldn't write anything serious with them (IMO), try the 'side-project' thing but it appears to be a ploy to get you disinterested and then they'll start making excuses when you try to start it etc. I mean give it a shot (The side project that is) but if any of them show any signs of negativity towards it I would quit the band. You can still be friends but you would know that they're after the money. See I never saw the point of writing music for the fans where the band was initially writing music for themselves (It's obvious with the bands that drastically changed their style over the years). Why would you try to write music that pleases others when there is a 100% chance that someone of your previous fanbase is not going to like it. Typical complaints like "It's the same as before" or "They sold out" is going to happen anyway. Just write music you like writing and the musicians will come to you (In time that is). College/University will have several people like you who think they'll never find like-minded musicians...until they get to College/University.

Good luck anyway. Hopefully they'll see reason to human ambition (An admirable quality in today's society IMO).
Progression isn't something that's forced TS, it's a natural PROGRESSION. I'm not sure why you thought the sound would change drastically if you wait. You can add your own influences through your own playing, but that's about it.

If you want to go into other genres, I'd team up with other people.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The evolution in little steps approach mentioned above could work.... play the same-old-same-old... but throw one of your ideas into every song.... a simple riff or line..nothing more... that way you are showing your ideas a little without taking over completely

It will either progress a lot, a little, or not at all... and then you will have a decision to make... but at least you know you have tried... and you keep the chance of staying with this band
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
The problem you may also be running into is how rabid some hardcore fans are (based on experience). They may have seen what their fans do to other bands. The vast majority of hardcore listeners, at least in my area, tolerate nothing but the generic sound of the genre. If you diverge too much from that you will get astrosized from the group and whole rooms of people will walk out when you play. This is not an exaggeration. Your mates may be afraid of this happening to them.
Go solo?

Its good to incorporate different sounds into a band. If every song was heavy or every song was soft (or if they just sounded the same) it would sound terrible.

Create something new. Look at Nirvana. Listen to Bleach, then listen to In Utero. Different sound. In fact, his next album was going to be soft, which would even make Bleach all the more different.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Quote by AlanHB
Progression isn't something that's forced TS, it's a natural PROGRESSION. I'm not sure why you thought the sound would change drastically if you wait. You can add your own influences through your own playing, but that's about it.

If you want to go into other genres, I'd team up with other people.

I think he's talking about actually musical progressiveness, as used to describe prog rock/metal/etc

Definitely going with all of the above though. Sometimes you have to limit yourself for the sake of a band and do your musical exploration on your own time.

Just have fun - instead of jumping into 8-finger tapping and 37 time sig changes in your intros, run around on stage and in practice, bang you head and feel the music. That's what it's all about, after all - punk is all about the feeling. That's why you want to beat the hell out of the guy next to you at a hardcore show, and it's why sweaty guys run around in a pit at thrash shows. If you don't like the feel of it, then get out 'cause they're not looking for change with fans actually giving them attention. Plus, after all, like you said, the band is just for fun during high school and there are no dreams of sextuple-platinum albums and 52 seat limousine.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
I think he's talking about actually musical progressiveness, as used to describe prog rock/metal/etc

I don't know, maybe it's both. I really don't see why he's expecting the music to change though.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud