A friend of mind was telling me this the other day. I remember hearing that active pups eliminate some of the tone you get from your guitar's wood but I didn't think that it voided it in any way.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
No, it's a bullshit bandwagon statement.

Active pickups are really powerful, and so the sound of the pickup overpowers other factors in your tone such as body wood more than a low output pickup would, but to say that it negates your guitars tone is just an ignorant thing to say.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No. It's bollocks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
umm, the guitar still vibrates when you strum your strings regardless of pups. last i checked active pups don't run active noise cancellation like some bose noise canceling headphones.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Does your wood put out tone? If yes, then no. If anything, I've tried some that enhance that mahogany feel. 85/85 EMG's treat wood real nice.
Yep. Completely. They also quite literally suck all of your tone, especially the haunting mids, from your gitfiddle. Contrary to popular belief, "tone" is not some abstract concept but is in fact a concrete and objective thing that can be lost. The only way not to lose tone is to use friendly-looking gear, as angry or aggressive or too utilitarian-looking gear is a well-known tone thief.

Another well-known tone thief is anything digital, with the sole exception of the Strymon El Capistan.

You might be able to save your tone if you use a Zendrive, however.

Last edited by Holy Katana at Jul 3, 2011,
No.

This is one of the many "Active Pickups Are Bad" myths that is circulated by "purists". These are the same people who think technology is witchcraft...

Well, maybe I took that a little too far.

But no. Actives don't make all guitars sound the same. If you don't believe me, go to your local music store and find two different guitars with the same set of actives, and plug them into the same amp with the same settings.

Better yet, find two of the exact SAME guitar with the same pickups and plug it into the same amp with the same settings.

That's what I did. I was skeptical of actives, so I went to Guitar Center (I think. May have been a Sam Ash), and grabbed two of the same Schecter model guitar, each with an EMG 81 in the bridge, and an 85 in the neck. They sounded different.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
all active pickups do is boost the frequencies. like Mid Freq! you know, like how EMG's boost Mids a shitload but then people try to get teh brootalz by scooping the mids that are boosted @_@. it adds a bunch of tone with built in pre-amps, but cleans can suffer
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Holy Katana
Yep. Completely. They also quite literally suck all of your tone, especially the haunting mids, from your gitfiddle. Contrary to popular belief, "tone" is not some abstract concept but is in fact a concrete and objective thing that can be lost. The only way not to lose tone is to use friendly-looking gear, as angry or aggressive or too utilitarian-looking gear is a well-known tone thief.

Another well-known tone thief is anything digital, with the sole exception of the Strymon El Capistan.

You might be able to save your tone if you use a Zendrive, however.

Successful troll is successful.
But seriously TS, as the learned gentlemen above have stated active pickups don't adversely affect your guitar's natural tone.
No, the guitar matters a great deal. I used to own two EMG equipped guitars, and they sounded very different.
WTLTL 2011
I remember seeing a post in SS.org or something that said something like this.

"No ALL active pickups (especially EMGs ) sound the same. They ignore your guitar's tone and will just make all your guitars sound the same. You should try some Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They sound natural unlike EMGs."

Typical bandwagoning against EMG's that you see everyday.

Seriously tho, just because actives have a "pre-amp" inside them that boosts your signal, doesn't mean they ignore your tone wood.
No it doesn't ignor your tone wood, but actives compress all the sound so the sound you hear is very linear in nature( no low, med or hi freqency spikes). While passives respond much more to pick attack, besacue they allow the frequency spikes to happen. This is why many guitaris ether love or hate actives. Me personaly I don't like actives, but I don't completely hate them ether. I guess they are like scotch, an aquired taste.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes it does.

Well it doesn't make all your guitars sound like carbon copies of each other, however take 3 guitars of different tonewoods using the same passive, and then have 3 of those same guitars but with the same EMGs.

What'll you'll find is that the comparative difference between the 3 guitars using EMGs will be minute. They'll sound quite similar, but there'll still be differences... although quite muted.

Take the 3 guitars with passives, and you'll find that their differences will be more pronounced than the EMGs.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Yes it does.

Well it doesn't make all your guitars sound like carbon copies of each other, however take 3 guitars of different tonewoods using the same passive, and then have 3 of those same guitars but with the same EMGs.

What'll you'll find is that the comparative difference between the 3 guitars using EMGs will be minute. They'll sound quite similar, but there'll still be differences... although quite muted.

Take the 3 guitars with passives, and you'll find that their differences will be more pronounced than the EMGs.

You just contradicted your YES by saying there are still diffferences.
Quote by Syriel
You just contradicted your YES by saying there are still diffferences.

You do realise that the world isn't just black and white right?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )

Dude, is this a discussion on EMGs or ocular issues?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
While we're on the subject of active pickups, has anyone ever tried Bartolini or Shadow actives? Just curious, since I've never heard anyone mention them. They look pretty cool. Shadow has an active humbucker with a built-in graphic EQ that you adjust with a screwdriver. They look like pole pieces, but they're not.

It'd be really cool to have a pickup you can sculpt the tonal characteristics of. You could fine-tune it for your guitar and playing style.

It looks like this:

I think Gibson has something like that on their latest Robot guitars, like the Dusk Tiger, only you don't do it with a screwdriver. The pickups' frequency responses are completely adjustable with the included editing software, I'm pretty sure.

Shame they have to be so expensive. That's about the only aspect of their "state-of-the-art" guitars that really sounds cool: the ability to fine-tune your guitar's tone to your liking.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by Holy Katana
While we're on the subject of active pickups, has anyone ever tried Bartolini or Shadow actives? Just curious, since I've never heard anyone mention them. They look pretty cool. Shadow has an active humbucker with a built-in graphic EQ that you adjust with a screwdriver. They look like pole pieces, but they're not.

It'd be really cool to have a pickup you can sculpt the tonal characteristics of. You could fine-tune it for your guitar and playing style.

It looks like this:

I think Gibson has something like that on their latest Robot guitars, like the Dusk Tiger, only you don't do it with a screwdriver. The pickups' frequency responses are completely adjustable with the included editing software, I'm pretty sure.

Shame they have to be so expensive. That's about the only aspect of their "state-of-the-art" guitars that really sounds cool: the ability to fine-tune your guitar's tone to your liking.

Those do look interesting
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Syriel
Just messing around.

Yeah... sorta figured that out later.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Actives do a all sound pretty similar. Only useful in metal when you just want as much gain as you can get. Passives are responsive. They respond to pick attack and dynamics. Actives make everyone sound the same unless you completely suck.
Quote by ZigmaMetal
Actives do a all sound pretty similar. Only useful in metal when you just want as much gain as you can get. Passives are responsive. They respond to pick attack and dynamics. Actives make everyone sound the same unless you completely suck.

Troll or idiot?

Can't work out.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I've used EMG's for all sorts of styles and am very happy with them. Actives are only good for metal? More bollocks. You just have to use the volume and tone controls on the guitar intelligently. If you can't use them for anything but metal it's operator error.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The only way that body wood can effect the tone of an electric guitar is if the resonance of the guitar's body has an impact on the overtones present on the strings themselves (excluding the case where the microphonic properties of the pickup is significant).

Active pickups are still sensitive to those overtones, so the guitar's body wood will still have an effect on tone.

There will be no capacitance in your cables when using EMGs or other actice pickups, and the capacitance of cable can have an affect on tone.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Holy Katana

It looks like this:

*Pic*

Thats a cool idea, but those look fu*king ugly. They should mount the controls on the side of the pickup rather than the top, or on a pickup ring sort of like the Seymour Duncan Triple Shot rings.
Quote by Holy Katana
Shadow

That looks really interesting. I am curious now. Wonder if they sound good?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X