Quote by LeviMan_2001
Short for potentiometer. The electrical component used for to control the volume and tone in a guitar's circuit.

can u explain the difference between the two? id like to know and maybe the guy who posted would like that too :P just asking
My Gear:

2010 Fender American Deluxe Sunburst Stratocaster HSS (1st Choice)
Ibanez RG 5EX1 (2nd Choice)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Digitech Time Bender Delay
Boss BF-2 Flanger)
EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi
i think its the resistance (someone correct me if im wrong?)

but basically, they use 250k pots for guitars with single coil pickups, and they use 500k pots for guitars with humbuckers, because the humbucker sound's a little bit too muddy with 250k pots, and the 500k's clean up the sound a little bit.

you can get higher and lower ones too, for different uses such as in amps and other electronics but yeah, 250k for single coils, 500k for humbuckers
Okay so now we're getting technical.

Here's a picture of the guts of one essentially

So see the resistive material? That's the part that the 500k or 250k is referring to. So if you were to take an ohm-meter and measure between A and B you'd see 500k ohms on a 500k pot. 500k being 500,000 ohms of resistance.
A potentiometer is a variable resistor. They come in a variety of forms, maximum resistances, tapers, etc. and are used for many different types of knobs, sliders, screwdriver-adjusted trim settings, etc.

If you want to get an idea of what they look like and what varieties are out there, you could check a site like jameco.com that distributes electronic components. They always have pictures of the merchandise.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood

Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Quote by BasementCat
A potentiometer is a variable resistor. They come in a variety of forms, maximum resistances, tapers, etc. and are used for many different types of knobs, sliders, screwdriver-adjusted trim settings, etc.

If you want to get an idea of what they look like and what varieties are out there, you could check a site like jameco.com that distributes electronic components. They always have pictures of the merchandise.

not quite i agree with the most that you said but this one isn't 100% true. a potentiometer is actually a network of 2 resistors in series. it acts as a voltage divider in the very center of the rotation. so if you have say 500k pot then in the center position imagine the 3 lugs are hooked the following way: the top lug gets the output from your pickup for example goes thru the first resistor and guess to the second (middle) lug and also to the other resistor which goes to the third lug which goes to a ground in this case. the second lug goes to the output. the resistors here will hae the equal amoun of resistance: 250k 250k, but if you turn it CCW the first value goes down and the second goes up, so at max CCW turn the values are 0 and 500k respectively, and same only vise versa with the CW turn so at max it's 500k between the lug 1 and lug 2 and 0 (no load) between lug 2 and lug 3.
hope this makes sense actually, im quiet tired and might say something that doesn't make sense so jsut let me know and i'll try to rephrase it

PS you can also wire up a pot as a variable resistor by going to lug 1 then hooking it up to lug 2 as well and then having the output at lug 3

PPS. lug 1 2 3 are named here according to the view from the top (actually the real guys call the lug 1 (that i say ehre) lug 3 and lug 3 (that goes to ground here) lug 1, jstu didnt want to get what im saying more confusing for a person who doesnt know what a pot is )