3 33%
BC Rich Warlock
0 0%
Marshall MG15
2 22%
Spider IV
4 44%
Voters: 9.
Hey, gonna buy an amp for my cousins b'day, either a Marshall MG15 (either FX, reverb or other havent decided yet) or a Line 6 Spider IV (or II or III, apparently people preffer the older models). Anyway, which one do you think is better?

And before all you jump and scream line 6, just wait. I quite like the "marshall" crunch that comes with the mg, but im also looking at the variation of sound from the line 6 as well as awesome effects.

But then i look at value for money, and take note that my cousins only been playing for six months or so (and hasn't really been trying that hard) and Im not sure whether he'll keep going with guitar.

Basically heres how it stands:

MG15:
-Really like the marshall crunch and overall sound
-Good for money being paid
-its simple, just plug in and play

Spider:
-has lots of tonal variations
-cool effects
-heard good stuff about it

Anyway whats your opinion?

Cheers,
Jimmi.

P.S. he's also getting a BC Rich either Warlock Revenge/Bronze or a Mocking Bird ST/Bronze depending on how much moneys left afterwards.

And i know a lot of you are gonna be like BC rich suck and all but thats what he wants, im just asking which ones gonna be better.

Thanks again,
Jimmi.
Not this thread again.

Don't think anyones going to be screaming line 6 spider here...

Heres a list of nicer practice amps you should check out that would eat these for breakfast

Roland cube series
Vox valvetronix
Peavey vypyr
Apparently the fender mustangs are pretty nice.

All these are modellers so you get the versitility of the line 6.
And as they are pretty decent modellers some will probably get a better marshall crunch then the marshall..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jul 3, 2011,
I've had a line 6 Spider II for about 4 years now and I still have no idea what people are talking about when they say they're crappy amps. Run with the Spider, I've had both and the MG is definitely the weaker of the 2.
Grammar Nazi.
What is wrong with a BC Rich? Among those guitars, I would get the Mockingbird, but that is just me. I mean, I wouldn't buy a low end BC Rich, but whatev.

As for the amp, the Marshall name on the EmGee is completely cosmetic.

And the Spider, you can do better.

Vox Valvetronix, Peavey Vypyr, Fender Mustaaaaang
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by kerrang
I've had a line 6 Spider II for about 4 years now and I still have no idea what people are talking about when they say they're crappy amps. Run with the Spider, I've had both and the MG is definitely the weaker of the 2.

Please don't post things like that.

And yeah missed the guitar thing
Look into a yamaha pacifica 112 or something. Much better guitars! Don't let him get sucked into looks because the bronze series bc riches are pretty terrible..
Hmmmm all the bronze series BC Rich guitars I've played are pretty crappy, but if you know your stuff make sure it plays well before buying.

And get the kid a Valvetronix, they sound awesome and are really versatile.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Get the mockingbird st, as the other 3 are all cheap nasty crap, although im pretty sure theres a big price difference between the st and the rest.

And unless you hate your cousin buy a roland cube or peavey vypyr
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Both the MG and the Spider are terrible sounding amps.

Whats your budget?
Id say buy a Peavey Vypyr or a Vox Valvetronix over either of the amps mentioned.

Yeah but remember this guys just starting. My budgets $0-$300.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To everyone one telling me to get a better amp, I cant. These 2 are the only ones that fit the budget. The first amps we looked at were the Vox Valvatronix and others.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to everyone saying bc rich such thats true, but just the low end ones. We're looking at either a warlock Revenge or a mocking bird ST. Which from what i heard are pretty good. But we're gonna go in the store and play them first and see if they're any good.

I have been playing and buying guitars for about 3 years so I think ill be able to spot a dud, but what should I look out for? Me its dodgey sound, weird neck, and really dodgey like pickupo placement or messed up parts. In the end if it sounds and plays great then does it matter?

Thanks everyone for your wonderful help so far

Cheers,
JImmi.
Quote by arrthor
Yeah but remember this guys just starting. My budgets $0-$300.

To everyone one telling me to get a better amp, I cant. These 2 are the only ones that fit the budget. The first amps we looked at were the Vox Valvatronix and others.

to everyone saying bc rich such thats true, but just the low end ones. We're looking at either a warlock Revenge or a mocking bird ST. Which from what i heard are pretty good. But we're gonna go in the store and play them first and see if they're any good.

I have been playing and buying guitars for about 3 years so I think ill be able to spot a dud, but what should I look out for? Me its dodgey sound, weird neck, and really dodgey like pickupo placement or messed up parts. In the end if it sounds and plays great then does it matter?

Thanks everyone for your wonderful help so far

Cheers,
JImmi.

Every amp recommended so far is in your price range.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Every amp recommended so far is in your price range.

really? I checked out the valvatronix and it was like 600 bucks.
Ill have another look.

Thanks .

Cheers,
Jimmi.
Don't get any. Get a cube.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Where the heck do you live? I live in India, and the VT20+ is 180 dollars. So is the Vypyr 15.

im down under.
Quote by OP
Good for money being paid

I recommend some sort of Vox or a Roland Cube.

Quote by GS LEAD 5
Where the heck do you live? I live in India, and the VT20+ is 180 dollars. So is the Vypyr 15.

Where the heck do YOU live? Last time I went to India, I was paying for stuff in rupees!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by arrthor
im down under.

While most people know that this is Australia, some wouldn't, so I must assume you mean something sexual.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
you should better reduce your guitar budged in favor of amp

personally i wouldnt even look at BC Riches below grand. Take a look at ibanez, schecter, esp/ltd. Those brands make good quality guitars for customer friendly prices

as for amp, Vox VT and vyoyr were already mentioned, you could take a look at used line 6 flextones, they should be pretty cheap now
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
While most people know that this is Australia, some wouldn't, so I must assume you mean something sexual.

haha just to clear things up im in AUS.
Quote by arrthor
haha just to clear things up im in AUS.

Anally Used-up Sistahz?

Damn dude, you mezzed up.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Anally Used-up Sistahz?

Damn dude, you mezzed up.

yeah thats where i live, in fact its your sister!

oh burned!

just joking bro
I'd rather just give him either a better amp / better guitar rather than give him two mediocre items.

Oh, and no B.C.Rich does not suck, especially their higher end range / custom shop. Most people that say B.C.Rich sucks either only have played the beginner / bronze ones, or are just jumping into the bandwagon.
Would have helped everybody immeasurably if you had mentioned you were is Australia right from the start. With that budget you will have to go used. Your best bet is a junky in Prahran but here are some things worth watching:
Crate V18
Fender Blues Junior
Kustom SS
Peavey Transtube
Peavey Audition

Some of those may ultimately sell for more than you have. The first two are by far the best. I have listed them in descending order of desirability.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 3, 2011,
Get the vox VT20

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/vox-valvetronix-vt20-20w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp

Much much better than a spider IV. i own a IV and im trying to sell it, but no one really wants it. the hybrid/1 tube amp is a marketing scam, but the vox somehow seems to be really good. its tone is probably unrelated to the tube. i prefer them over vypyrs, but thats just my opinion
Quote by arrthor
really? I checked out the valvatronix and it was like 600 bucks.
Ill have another look.

Thanks .

Cheers,
Jimmi.

Mustang : http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Mustang-I-20W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-106197130-i1557505.gc

Vox VT+ :http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-VT20--20W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-106219355-i1570230.gc

Peavey:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc

BTW, all these amps have bigger versions with more wattage if you want to spend an extra $100 on them.

You're welcome.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
JKHC - he's in Australia.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
JKHC - he's in Australia.

I realized that after I posted. Didn't read the entire post lol . I know, I'm a scrub.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Wow this is the worst thread ive ever seen ever as far as gear choices go... Im sure everyones told you to look elsewhere amp wise.

Bronze warlocks are lame. I would very much so rock the Mockinbird ST though.

Neck through, quilt top and OFR for like £450 is pretty good.
Those ST Mockingbirds look nice... Those plus a Vypyr, Valvetronix or Mustang would be nice.

Slightly off topic, but JKHC, how do you like that Mustang III?
I pride myself on my humility.