Hey guys Im 17 and have recently gotten a job. Anyway I'm looking to buy a new amp. I play progressive metal and have been looking to replace the amp i use at band practice and bring it home to use for myself. After Auditioning new members, it seems that most of our new members will be older and 18+ which would allow us to do alot more, So I think this amp will get a lot of use =D.

As mentioned I play progressive metal so i am looking at an amp with a good lead dirty channel, but that can also clean up a bit so i can do mellow parts. My price range would be up to 1500$ including cab give or take (looking for a halfstack). Specifically i am also interested in the footswitching between channels, and if I would need to buy a separate footswitch and if the channels share EQ ( i prefer this not to be the case). My guitar is a Schecter Hellraiser with EMGs 81/85. The amp that I use at practice is a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w which is a GREAT sounding amp, but i find it starts to sound tinny once u push it past 1 O'clock, it IS part solid state. I really need help with the cabinets because i don't know shit about them lol. What should i look for buying the amp? What's crap whats good? What are the best cabinets and would cheaping out on a good cab affect my sound more than getting a cheaper head? Also are there anythings i can do to help the transportation of this amp? I hear its a real bitch. Thank you guys for replying, I am new to this UG thing so idk if I posted correctly ... sorry for mistakes =D.
Get a car, that is excellent transportation. Also, casters on the cabinet.

Avatar, Port City, White Box, Mesa, Orange. All good cabs.

As for an amp, Jet City Amps - JCA100h

Boom.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Id say a used Mark IV combo, better than the JCA for proggy stuff.

Maybe so, but he needs money for a cab as well.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Maybe so, but he needs money for a cab as well.

Its a combo what do you need a cab for?
Even then, he can easily get a Mark III combo for 900 or so, and 600 can fetch a Mesa or an Orange 412.

Alternatively, he can get a used JSX or XXX. Both are quite versatile, and can do proggy stuff well.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jul 3, 2011,
great amp suggestions guys really turned on to the JCA 100h and the Mark III altho i am looking for a half stack so a JSX or XXX head would be better altho i'd have to try them. How about the cabinets is there a big difference between them, or is it just like i get an orange or mesa. cuz they're good brands O_o?

Also anyone know if the JCA has a shared EQ for the channels?
Last edited by Acs1994 at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by Acs1994
great amp suggestions guys really turned on to the JCA 100h and the Mark III altho i am looking for a half stack so a JSX or XXX head would be better altho i'd have to try them. How about the cabinets is there a big difference between them, or is it just like i get an orange or mesa. cuz they're good brands O_o?

Also anyone know if the JCA has a shared EQ for the channels?

Why do you have to have a halfstack? It wont be significantly louder than a combo just bassier (slightly)

Different cabs have different speakers dimensions and materials. All matter.

For prog look for speakers like V30's, Swamp Thangs and Tonkerlties.

Try Avataar or whitebox for good cabs on teh cheap.

Harley Benton also has a good cheap V30 cab.
i was looking for a half stack because that way i could use the same speaker cab, incase in the future i would want to purchase a higher end head. Combo would be fine nothing wrong with it, just that was my initial intention.

Also looks like i have quite a bit to research and tryout. to find out what speaker cab im gonna need.

What do you guys think about Bugera it seems pretty split on peoples opinions. Some say cheap made in china crap. while others say its this miracle for the money. I was looking at the 333xl, should i just throw this idea out? Im sure it wouldn't sound as good as a Mark IV or a JSX anyway.
Quote by Acs1994
i was looking for a half stack because that way i could use the same speaker cab, incase in the future i would want to purchase a higher end head. Combo would be fine nothing wrong with it, just that was my initial intention.

Also looks like i have quite a bit to research and tryout. to find out what speaker cab im gonna need.

What do you guys think about Bugera it seems pretty split on peoples opinions. Some say cheap made in china crap. while others say its this miracle for the money. I was looking at the 333xl, should i just throw this idea out? Im sure it wouldn't sound as good as a Mark IV or a JSX anyway.

I have a 333 head and I see nothing wrong with it, yes its cheap, but it sounds amazing better than my buddys JSX on the clean ch and has as much balls too. I'd go with a Bugera 333/333xl and an Avatar cab this will leave you some $$ left over also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have a 333 head and I see nothing wrong with it, yes its cheap, but it sounds amazing better than my buddys JSX on the clean ch and has as much balls too. I'd go with a Bugera 333/333xl and an Avatar cab this will leave you some $$ left over also.

Well left over money is intriguing. And the 333xl is something i could try out at this local mom and pop store here in brooklyn, instead of going to the dreaded guitar center. boy there is a place where i've gotten some bad advice >_>. Altho i'd probably try the JSX, JCA 100h and the mark IV anyway so i find what i really want. (mark IV seems like its gonna be a pain in the ass to get ahold of.... craigslist here I come =D.)
yes try out anything your gonna buy don't just take someones word that it will work for you.
Avatar is gonna be your best bet in a cab, and they will completely customize it for the same price (tolex color, grill color, and speaker type). and there typical 4x12 contemporary cab( the oversized cab they make) runs about $580 new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just look around craigslist for a cab with v30s and for the head.
Youre in the city, theres always tons of ppl looking to unload gear. Im upstate so im not usually so lucky
Yeah will definitely check up craigslist, altho i think i'd get the 333xl brand new. That is if i decide on the 333. hmmm great suggestions guys, i don't think there isn't one i wouldn't try, except getting my hands on the Mark, that'd be a bit harder. Cuz i'd have to get it used, and then try it out and iono on craigslist i don't feel like goin to someones place and trying it out to ultimately tell them no.... So that's the only one i might miss. Hope i don't regret it tho =/
Honestly, you really should consider something better than a Bugera for your price range.

A cheap, good quality cab is your best bet. And I mean a 2x12, not a 4x12.

Avatar 2x12s go for $399 loaded with v30s. That leaves you $1100 for an amp. The JCA100 head is still an option, with money left over for a boost.

If you can find a mark III for $900, plus the avatar cab, that would still leave you money for a tubescreamer, and maybe an EQ. Or you can just slip a hundred bucks in your pocket.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Honestly, you really should consider something better than a Bugera for your price range.

A cheap, good quality cab is your best bet. And I mean a 2x12, not a 4x12.

Avatar 2x12s go for $399 loaded with v30s. That leaves you $1100 for an amp. The JCA100 head is still an option, with money left over for a boost.

If you can find a mark III for $900, plus the avatar cab, that would still leave you money for a tubescreamer, and maybe an EQ. Or you can just slip a hundred bucks in your pocket.

Good point. Im still trying the Bugera tho but i will try other higher end amps because i do have the money for it. The JCA head, i never heard of jet city amps having enough gain, altho now from what i see online apparently its lead channel is supposed to be great. I will definitely try it as well. I actually did find a 2x12 avatar cab with V30's in brooklyn for 250$ used, a little worn but the guy claims its in complete working condition. =D I'm actually suprised noone suggested a 6505 yet, i expected that to happen, altho i heard their clean channels are meh.

Also i am looking to buy a GE-7 to use as a boost for solos so yeah that would be nice to have some money left over from this for it =D. Altho if this whole amp thing costs me the 1500 i would mind that much. Hell it's been alot of work getting it but i want something that won't suck. I can work a little more for accessories later. Damn minimum wage .... .
Quote by Acs1994
Good point. Im still trying the Bugera tho but i will try other higher end amps because i do have the money for it. The JCA head, i never heard of jet city amps having enough gain, altho now from what i see online apparently its lead channel is supposed to be great. I will definitely try it as well. I actually did find a 2x12 avatar cab with V30's in brooklyn for 250$ used, a little worn but the guy claims its in complete working condition. =D I'm actually suprised noone suggested a 6505 yet, i expected that to happen, altho i heard their clean channels are meh.

Yeah if you can find an used Avatar that is even better, that just equals more money for a good amp.

Ehh, I own the 6505, and it's an amazing amp, but has a ton of noise issues, which I wouldn't recommend the 6505 to anybody unless they got a noise gate. So, if you got a cheap noise gate, plus the 6505, that is 1100. And most people like to get a boost pedal for leads at least, so, unless you go used, it's kinda outta your budget.

And then there are the cleans, which are nothing fantastic, and I use a delay pedal to make them sound better, which is just more money.

I fully support the Jet City + boost pedal idea. The Mesa idea isn't bad at all, just gotta find it used.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
yeah the mesa seems like its gonna be something hard to find. nothing on craigslist yet, well there is one mark iii cept he's in westchester ( NOT nearby). Its 900 bucks and no footswitch, not doing that lol. And there is a used mark iv, but its goin for 1200, altho i wouldn't need the cab. but i still want the cab for the future.
Quote by Acs1994
yeah the mesa seems like its gonna be something hard to find. nothing on craigslist yet, well there is one mark iii cept he's in westchester ( NOT nearby). Its 900 bucks and no footswitch, not doing that lol. And there is a used mark iv, but its goin for 1200, altho i wouldn't need the cab. but i still want the cab for the future.

At least you are thinking ahead. I mean, you could always slap a combo amp on top of cab in the future, but that would be more of a pain to move around. And in some cases, you can't run a combo amp into another cab.

Stacks just seem more versatile to me. But like I said, you are better off getting a 2x12 cab instead. It will save you money, and there isn't much of a difference between that and a 4x12, except something like a 3dB boost in volume, and maybe a bit more bass response.

And if you want a tight bass sound, get a closed back cab. Or, if you want to experiment: Avatar offers an open back cab, and it can be turned into a closed back, like a convertible
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Last edited by Guitarbaddie at Jul 3, 2011,
hmm well. i know alot more about cabs after this lolz. yeah idk if i wanna do the combo on top of the cab thing tho. it does sound like a pain. I mean my amp is heavy already. and that's a 1X 12 tube hybrid. carrying around a 2x12 all tube and a cab. sounds like a pain =/. and uhh after this... getting a car isn't happening soon >_>. altho my other band members have cars so im sure i'll manage.
Quote by Acs1994
hmm well. i know alot more about cabs after this lolz. yeah idk if i wanna do the combo on top of the cab thing tho. it does sound like a pain. I mean my amp is heavy already. and that's a 1X 12 tube hybrid. carrying around a 2x12 all tube and a cab. sounds like a pain =/. and uhh after this... getting a car isn't happening soon >_>. altho my other band members have cars so im sure i'll manage.

I know that feel bro.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I dont know when how long you can wait but in november there is a mesa mark v clone combo coming out from bugerafor about 700 and change.
Nah idk, i'll try the 333xl but like i can't wait that long. Plus once it comes out its gonna take time to stock in the stores etc so =/. Plus you know really, not looking forward to the combo with an external cab.
Honestly I think you might be really pleased with teh 333XL. Its a really nice sounding amp and super versatile.
Quote by DeathMetalJesus
Honestly I think you might be really pleased with teh 333XL. Its a really nice sounding amp and super versatile.

Could use a tube replacement though. Honestly I would want something better for that price range.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90