Just got a basic fender squire kit that includes all the stuff you need to start but i have a few questions what makes the knobs on the uitar diffrent from the amp? and also does anyone know any beginner well known songs to learn?.
Thanks im new to electric guitar but not guitar (ive been playing acoustic for a few months)
1. the volume knob makes the sound a harder or softer, cous on a concert you don't have time to run to your amp and turn the volume down
2. Smells like teen spirit, Smoke on the water, and some basic chords
Gear:

Squier Stratocaster Sunburst
Boss Turbo Distortion DS-2
Crate, don't know which type :P
Roland Cube X15
Small Clone Harmonics Full Chorus
Standard Wah
Acoustic Redhill Guitar
RP-55 Multi Effect Pedal
Welcome to the forum. the knobs on the guitar (Stratocaster style) are used for Volume and tone controls, the top knob is youe volume and the bottom 2 are tone. you use these in conjunction with the 5 way blade switch to choose the pickup or pickups that you want. If you notice everytime you move the 5 way switch the guitar produces a diffrent sound. This can help you get the tone you want easier.
Look on you tube at songs you like, there are tons of people that post how to play this song... videos. they may not be all correct, but it all helps in learning.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don't know what you listen to or like, but you could try any of these songs, they are fairly easy, just start off slow, use a metronome if you have one:

Green Day - Brain Stew, Walking Contradiction, American Idiot
Nirvana - Come As You Are, Polly, About A Girl, Pennyroyal Tea, hell almost all of their songs are easy
Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
AC/DC - Shook Me All Night Long, the intro to Thunderstruck
Breaking Benjamin - So Cold
Three Days Grace - Animal I've Become
Chevelle - Send the Pain Below
Deftones - Change (In the House of Flies), My Own Summer
Rage Against the Machine - Bulls on Parade
Joan Jett - I Love Rock and Roll
Heart - Baracuda
Beginner songs you say?

Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
Day Tripper - The Beatles
Iron Man - Black Sabbath (until you get to the solo)
Foo Fighters - Everlong (in Drop D tuning)
Smells like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
A guitar's volume knob is really an more of an output knob. Turning down the guitar volume lessens the signal from the pickups, creating a cleaner sound in addition to lowering volume. Tone knobs typically roll off treble, resulting in a darker sound.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by neversleeps84
Don't know what you listen to or like, but you could try any of these songs, they are fairly easy, just start off slow, use a metronome if you have one:

Green Day - Brain Stew, Walking Contradiction, American Idiot
Nirvana - Come As You Are, Polly, About A Girl, Pennyroyal Tea, hell almost all of their songs are easy
Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
AC/DC - Shook Me All Night Long, the intro to Thunderstruck
Breaking Benjamin - So Cold
Three Days Grace - Animal I've Become
Chevelle - Send the Pain Below
Deftones - Change (In the House of Flies), My Own Summer
Rage Against the Machine - Bulls on Parade
Joan Jett - I Love Rock and Roll
Heart - Baracuda

Any of these are good.

ood for thought if you learn.

Learn any AC/DC, Green Day or Nirvana song. You'll be well on your way to learning most of the other songs too.

EDIT:
Bonus all your friends will think your cool because you can actually play songs

Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jul 3, 2011,
^^ Green day songs are perfect for beginners. Pick a random one and you can learn it in less than half an hour.

A few of those that come to mind: holiday, american idiot, 21 guns, when I come around, know your enemy etc.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Yeah I like Greenday aswell also another question is which slider thing does what on a guitar and which sound best?
Quote by BoroParmo
Yeah I like Greenday aswell also another question is which slider thing does what on a guitar and which sound best?

By slider, I think you mean the pickup selector???? Well, since you have a strat there are 5 positions.
I call position one the farthest you can move the switch.
position 1 - neck pickup only
position 2 - neck and middle pickup
position 3 - middle pickup only
position 4 - middle and bridge pickup
position 5 - bridge pickup only

To answer your next question, there is no best sound. Some songs require you to use a certain combo of pickups. Generally, rock songs use position 2 and clean/country use position 4 or 5.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
By slider, I think you mean the pickup selector???? Well, since you have a strat there are 5 positions.

To answer your next question, there is no best sound. Some songs require you to use a certain combo of pickups. Generally, rock songs use position 2 and clean/country use position 4 or 5.

I think you may have switched these by accident.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Quote by JKHC

I usually use the bridge for greenday and nirvana, and both for TDG... Altough, I have humbuckers.
http://justinguitar.com/ is a great place to start, or keep going, I think he has a great teaching method, and songlists you can choose from, and he'll go through it on video with you, check it out!
'10 Epiphone Les Paul Custom(Alp.Wht.)w/coil-tapping, PRS Paul Allender, Cort SJ-10 elec/acoust., Tradition(LP copy),Focusrite Saffire 6, JBL mon., Akai MPK25, Sonar 8.5.3 PE, Guitar Rig 4 Pro, HP dv6 DuoCore2, Windows 7 x64 .Sonar X1 PE
Last edited by graysquirrel38 at Aug 18, 2011,