NOTE:this is not another lame thread with guys who can't afford something so they make it look bad

I am planning to buy a gibson LP
but I don't know whether the Customs really worth the extra money or not...
does it really matters or is this another placebo effect...?

Thank you!
If the custom doesn't have the chambered body I would go with that one. After they started chambering their guitars it's not quite as much of a strain on the shoulder but it messes with the tone
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Custom is much prettier, has better quality control, and will have a MUCH higher resale value.

Standard is cheaper, the quality control is still very good, the resale value will be fine.

If I had the money I'd definitely go for the custom though... (if it felt right)
I tend to agree. The level of detail and attention going into a Custom is generally higher. Have you played both? If you can afford the Custom, I'd recommend it. I'd also recommend that you consider the vintage stuff. Some of the vintage sites have good stock on-hand and the price for an older guitar, with lots o' mojo, might surprise you.

Chicago Music Exchange
California Vintage Guitar & Amp
Norman's Rare Guitars
Elderly Music
Gruhn Guitars
Gary's Guitars

These are the places I consider reputable.
If you want a lp I wouldn't waste my $$ on a custom I'd go standard or traditional if your gonna play it, but if you want resale you willnot lose as much $$ resaling a standard as you will a custom( you'll lose about $1000+ on the custom in a resale and a couple 100 on the standard.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm gonna play it...
but i'll give it all the care and love it deserves...

some of you say completely different things...

" if you want resale you willnot lose as much $$ resaling a standard as you will a custom( you'll lose about $1000+ on the custom in a resale and a couple 100 on the standard."

"Custom is much prettier, has better quality control, and will have a MUCH higher resale value."

what should I take?
I think I'd want to see proof of that claim. Any guitar you buy from the store is going to depreciate, but I'm not sure I buy the $100 vs $1000+ claim. That's kind of like saying a Ferrari loses $50,000 out the door, but a Kia only loses $500.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jul 3, 2011,
Standard would be better for resale value that's true, but if it were me I'd go for the Traditional Pro. Cheaper, sounds and looks just as good, and feels much smoother IMO (I played a bunch of LPs yesterday at a store)
I'm pretty sure that les paul custom is made in the custom division of Gibson these days, so it will be a better guitar than the standard, which is still made in the Gibson USA division along with the studios, classics, trads, etc. It's still a great guitar, but truthfully, not on the same level as the Gibson custom shop guitars. If you like the look of a sunburst les paul without the les paul custom appointments (headstock binding, double ply body binding, etc.) then look at the historics. The R8s are awesome guitars and I think will probably run about the same as a custom.
Yeah the Customs these days are made at the Gibson Custom Shop. That puts them head and shoulders above the Gibson LP Standard. But it IS an awful lot more money and the jump in quality isn't that important in practical terms. Even if you were playing at a massive stadium nobody is going to tell the difference between the standard LP and a Custom Shop one that costs twice as much. The only person that will be able to tell any difference is you, the player. So try some guitars out. If you really feel that you play better and are more comfortable with the more expensive Custom then go with that. But if you find the Standard is just as comfortable and you play just as well on it then go with the Standard. Nobody else will notice or care either way, it's all down to what feels best in your hand.
look at the used prices and judge for your self customs normaly sell used for @$2000, but cost $3200+ thats a loss of $1200.
The Standard will run you @$1600+ and sells new for $2200.
Now dont get me wrong they are both great guitars, but I cant justify spending over $1000 more for the custom. Look at the Traditional they come in at less than $2000 new. In the end it is your choice and you need to be happy with whatever your getting, not us.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
look at the used prices and judge for your self customs normaly sell used for @$2000, but cost $3200+ thats a loss of $1200.
The Standard will run you @$1600+ and sells new for $2200.
Now dont get me wrong they are both great guitars, but I cant justify spending over $1000 more for the custom. Look at the Traditional they come in at less than $2000 new. In the end it is your choice and you need to be happy with whatever your getting, not us.

check Ebay and correct me if I'm wrong...
LP C sells new for 3000 or even less...a new LP standard costs almost as much as retail...
used C sell for almost retail from what I saw...
If youre NOT going to buy a standard, then do NOT buy a custom. Its the same guitar with a few upgrades that are more cosmetic than anything. However, you SHOULD look really hard at the Historic line. THOSE guitars are well worth their money.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
I'd buy a Supreme. They typically have better wood and features than the Customs and cost a bit less. Ebony fretboard, and maple tops on the front and back. And they have by far the coolest Gibson headstock.
Quote by philwhite
I'd buy a Supreme. They typically have better wood and features than the Customs and cost a bit less. Ebony fretboard, and maple tops on the front and back. And they have by far the coolest Gibson headstock.

just tried a Supreme yesterday...didn't like it
for me i was pretty torn between the custom and the traditional pro. played the custom, fell in love with it, play the trad pro, almost exact same feel, better features and more practical.

with the money id wouldve bought i custom with, i can now buy a trad pro and semi custom built Carvin 7 string
Buying guitars is not a good investment strategy. Forget resell value and buy the one that feels right to you.
Play them, decide yourself. Gotta ask yourself if you can personally hear/feel the difference from the two guitars, if you cant then go for the cheaper one.

Like agroban said, buying guitars isn't a good investment :P
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Unless you're spending thousands and thousands on a real classic guitar that you can then lock away for another few decades, keep in perfect condition and later sell for a small fortune.
a lot of old standards play just as nice as most customs. it's all preference and every guitar is different so you gotta get out there and try them.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Just get a Washburn CS Idol. Blows any Gibson LP custom away for 2300$ and you can customize it the way you want.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I think you shouldnt limit yourself. Just go out and play standards, customs, traditionals, whatever. The one you choose is the one you like to play the most. Really doesnt matter if its a standard or custom. I have a standard BUT customs are very nice.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
If you are going to spend the money on an LP Custom I would put that money towards a Re-Issue instead. The RI's are way better than the LP Custom, better wood selections and better construction.
If you want to save some money a Traditional is a good choice, new they can be had for around 2K.
Moving on.....
i was at the Gibson shop in Nashville recently and i played a bunch of Customs but i didnt care for them. I played a couple standards and traditional pros that i would have killed for. not related, but i fell in love with the Slash signature (tobacco burst finish)
picking them up and playing them side by side, besides the minute differences they're both pretty similar. But the LP Custom just looks so elegant and badass with the binding and diamond headstock logo. I've always favored the custom over the traditionals overall. Too bad the custom costs so much. But I suppose thats because they're made in the custom division where the quality of build is better.