This may be a stupid question, but is that possible? If so, how will they sound together? I'm planning to buy new pickups soon to replace my stock ones but because I am having a hard time choosing between pickups, I came up with the idea of having pickups from different companies to try them out.

As an example, I am interested in the Seymour Duncan SH5 in my bridge and possibly a Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck. I'll probably be playing mostly rock/metal (lead), but I might play songs with less distortion at times. Are these the right choices for my playing styles, and has anyone tried doing what i want to do? Thanks.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Of course is possible. Just wire them together and they will work, no questions asked. As for how they sound together do you mean by mixing the two like when the pickup selector is at middle on a 2 hum bucker guitar? Try them, listen to them.

Alone, they will still sound what they sound.

Having something different is always a plus in my eyes btw. Trial and Error my friend.
Quote by Syriel
Of course is possible. Just wire them together and they will work, no questions asked. As for how they sound together do you mean by mixing the two like when the pickup selector is at middle on a 2 hum bucker guitar? Try them, listen to them.

Alone, they will still sound what they sound.

Having something different is always a plus in my eyes btw. Trial and Error my friend.

Thanks for the quick response. What i mean by "sounding together" is not having the pup selector in between, but like just in general (e.g. i'm playing bridge for heavy distortion then switch to neck for less, something like that).

Thanks
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Quote by 350EX
Thanks for the quick response. What i mean by "sounding together" is not having the pup selector in between, but like just in general (e.g. i'm playing bridge for heavy distortion then switch to neck for less, something like that).

Thanks

People swap out the bridge pickup and leave the neck pickup stock all the time.

The only time you need to worry about the pickups being "the same" is if you go from passives to actives.

EDIT:
Duncan Blackouts and EMGs always come in sets

I don't know why anyone would try mixing a Blackout and EMG in one guitar? you never know what someone might try?
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Jul 3, 2011,
Quote by Willowthewitch
People swap out the bridge pickup and leave the neck pickup stock all the time.

The only time you need to worry about the pickups being "the same" is if you go from passives to actives.

EDIT:
Duncan Blackouts and EMGs always come in sets

I don't know why anyone would try mixing a Blackout and EMG in one guitar? you never know what someone might try?

Someone should try that hehe...alright, i dont think i should be worried then, it just seems weird because i dont think i've seen anyone do it.

On a side note, anyone have experience with the SH5? Is the output high enough for good leads/sustain (basically rock/metal styles). I talked to the guy at SD but he didnt answer this question. Thanks
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
From the little I know, the only main problem would be single coils being out of phase with each other, which isn't a problem with humbuckers. Technically, you have nothing to worry about. From there, it's a matter of preference and what would suit your particular guitar/style. Shrugasaurus. Cue one of the board gurus.
I am a fake mountain.
On a side note, anyone have experience with the SH5? Is the output high enough for good leads/sustain (basically rock/metal styles). I talked to the guy at SD but he didnt answer this question. Thanks
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
What's your gear? If it's the Ibanez in your profile, it should technically work from what I can tell. Where's Mark when you need him?
I am a fake mountain.
Quote by DanTheHobbit
What's your gear? If it's the Ibanez in your profile, it should technically work from what I can tell. Where's Mark when you need him?

Yes, my guitar is an Ibanez RG350EX- Basswood body, rosewood fingerboard, locking trem. I'm just not sure if the output is high enough, i dont even know what the output is o.o

How would you compare the output to other pickups, say a SD JB or some Dimarzio pickup? (They show output levels on the site, but i dont think im going to switch to dimarzios..even though i'll probably end up playing stuff by Vai..when I talked to them they sounded really unfriendly )
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Actually, if someone has an Ibanez RG as well, how does the output compare to the stock bridge pickup (INF4)?
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Quote by 350EX
Yes, my guitar is an Ibanez RG350EX- Basswood body, rosewood fingerboard, locking trem. I'm just not sure if the output is high enough, i dont even know what the output is o.o

How would you compare the output to other pickups, say a SD JB or some Dimarzio pickup? (They show output levels on the site, but i dont think im going to switch to dimarzios..even though i'll probably end up playing stuff by Vai..when I talked to them they sounded really unfriendly )

I have a Seymour Duncan JB in the neck and a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge of my Les Paul. Sounds great.
Quote by Wisthekiller
I have a Seymour Duncan JB in the neck and a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge of my Les Paul. Sounds great.

Yay, someone that has already tried what I want to do

Say, have any experience with the SH5?? What is the output of it compared to JB?

Thanks
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013