I'll start with the question then explain. Would getting a 6505+ 112 with a 412 Ext cab be worth it if I already own a Peavey JSX 212 combo? Big note would be, if I did get the 6505+ I would probably be selling my JSX.

If I had the money and space I would save up and invest in the 6505+ head/cab combo without a question, but space is a big issue. If I were to get the combo/cab, I would leave the cab at the jam space and the amp would come back home with me.

I've played the 6505+ head at guitarcenter and loved the tone I was able to get from it. Haven't been able to get close to that tone with the JSX, but if someone has suggestions for a setup similar in sound let me know. Would the combo and cab do the same thing? I know the differences between the two...60w vs 120w, extra preamp tube in the head vs the combo and so on. I also have to take into account that the JSX I have is 120w. The JSX doesn't seem to cut through in a jam mix though very well. When it does, the tone is very much lacking bass, especially compared to the Line 6 halfstacks all my friends seem to be using. The line 6 stuff just sounds so fake to me though.

Does anyone have any experience running the 112 6505+ through a cab and how well does it cut through in a band mix?
keep the JSX it is more versitile than the 6505+ combo, but if you like the 6505 better then thats up to you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The biggest question is, are you willing to give up your JSX for the 6505+? Do you think you wont miss the JSX anytime soon after you buy the 6505+?

If your answer is yes to both, do it.
Buy a 6505+ head and any quality 212/412 if you have to buy anything dude.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
ya if you want to leave a cab at the space just buy like a 2x12 and a 4x12 and keep the 2x12 at home..
I'm thinking I'll probably stick with the JSX for now. I was questionable on the 112 in the first place, knowing that it might not do what the head itself can do. Alot of people on Youtube with the 112/cab setup but all the recordings are crap due to the computer mic's being used.

I'll eventually try to get the head setup though I would imagine. I definately like the sound the 6505+ has to offer even though its more limited than the JSX. The JSX is a alot more pedal friendly compared to the 6505 but I've always been a Amp/Guitar and thats it kind of guy. Probably one of the biggest selling points of the 6505 since I can get the tone I want straight from the head.
You could always buy a 2x12 cab to use with your JSX 2x12 and then you'd have a 1/2 stack!!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You could always buy a 2x12 cab to use with your JSX 2x12 and then you'd have a 1/2 stack!!

Lol, true. That might help make up for the lack of bass compared to the other guys I'm playing with. Definately with dispersion problems as well.
For what it's worth I run my XXX head with a RedStar audio 212 Havok cabinet and it destroys my buddies 6505 212 combo. I have tons of low end. The 6505 sounds small and weak compared to the XXX and Redstar, go figure. I think the moral here is don't underestimate what a good cab will do.
+1 to the good cab comment.

Also how are you EQ'ing your amp to sound weak alongside a fecking Spider!?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yeah and by the sounds of it you would want a closed back cab as well i think the jsxs are open back are they not?

Plus peavey speakers kinda suck.
The 6505 combos are closed back.. it doesn't seem to make a difference though.

My other buddy has a Lee Jackson Perfect Connection pre-amp I'm trying to buy from him which has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread..
Yeah the JSX has an open back. I think some of the bass issue also was due to the practice space and also the line 6 amps settings. Pretty sure he uses the Insane setting alot, which sounds horrid most of the time, nothing but bass. I've owned a line 6 amp at one point, but never used that setting at all.

I'll definitely look into an ext cab and see what I come up with. May have to take my amp up to GC or something and try it out.
Last edited by IAmFiction at Jul 3, 2011,