So i have about 1000 dollars to buy an electric guitar and an amp. My style of music will be a lot of classic rock, stuff like led zeppelin, acdc, and guns n roses, as well as some jimi hendrix and eric clapton. Because of this i need a pretty versatile guitar. What do you suggest?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard + Peavey Valveking 112, with enough spare to upgrade the pickups and get a Badmonkey overdrive pedal?

EDIT: If you play classic rock more, go for a les paul style humbucking guitar - if you play both equally go for an HSS strat, which is more versatile - though obviously wont be as convincing as a les paul for classic rock. They all work just fine tbh.
Last edited by demon.guitarist at Jul 3, 2011,
thats a bit of a problem in terms of guitar because led zeppelin, acdc and guns n roses use les pauls but hendrix and clapton use strats.

I would get a guitar from the PRS SE range. It is PRS's budget range of guitar (they are usually aroung $400-$600 and PRS are well known for how versatile there guitars are.

for an amp get a bydget peavey amp
Fender HSS strat is pretty versitile, or a guitar with humbuckers equipped with coil splitting. You would have humbucking power, with single coils.

Jimi did use an SG and a Flying V also I thought, and Clapton used an SG with Cream
Last edited by Slash_fanboy at Jul 3, 2011,
Fender or G&L HSS Strat.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Marshall Class 5 combo and Epi Lp Standard, and get a Ibanez TS-9 overdrive pedal.and yu should have a few $$ left to buy a case or other acessories
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Playing at home? Gigging?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Slash_fanboy
Fender HSS strat is pretty versitile, or a guitar with humbuckers equipped with coil splitting. You would have humbucking power, with single coils.

Jimi did use an SG and a Flying V also I thought, and Clapton used an SG with Cream

I guess because Ibanez are considered "Shredder axes" nobody thought about recommending one of them

You might want to look at one of these Ibanez RG470AH

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg470ah-electric-guitar/584131000010000

Then mate it up with a JCA12S Half-Stack. The JCA20H is just about the coolest entry level tube amp on the market.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca20h-and-jca12s-half-stack/584695000000000
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
HSS Strat is prolly your best choice for versatility. MIM ones are about 500 brand new which leaves you plenty of room for a decent combo amp(especially if you go used). Quality is a little dodgy so be sure you try before you buy.

You could also spring for a schecter with coil splitting. Chances are you'll wind up in the 500-700 range for a good quality one brand new so I'd definitely check some craigslist adds for that, so that you could avoid compromising on your amp.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Epiphone SG G-400 ( buy it red, please - black doesn't accentuate the awesome shape)
This guitar works for absolutely anything, from blues, country to death metal.

Line 6 Spider IV (15W or 20W - depending on where you wanna use it)
ATM it's the best possible amp for the money. You could get the 15W and also get a FBV pedal to switch channels more easily and also have a WAH pedal.

Hope I helped. As I always say: It's your money, so think for yourself for the final decision

**Don't buy a BC Rich, unless you change the pups. Don't buy any Epiphone with ''Special'' in its name since it sucks bigtime. It's as special as a retarded kid.
Quote by azot
ATM it's the best possible amp for the money.
It really isn't
Quote by azot

ATM it's the best possible amp for the money. You could get the 15W and also get a FBV pedal to switch channels more easily and also have a WAH pedal.

Are you serious? There are plenty of great intermediate amps in the 400-700 range that will beat a spide IV into the ground. Peavey Vypyr, Fender Mustang, and Vox Valvetronix are miles better than a Spider IV for modeling. Or if you go tubed you have the Peavey Valveking, Classic 30 or Windsor, Fender Blues Junior, JCA 112, Vox AC15.

I don't know why anybody would even consider a spider with a thousand dollar budget.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
A Fender Strat HSS or an Ibanez with either an HSS or HSH set-up should work for you. Some kind of Tele might work out for you; though I'm not a huge fan of them, Page used one quite a bit in studio.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried out a Jet City or Blackstar, but based on what I've heard from them, they sound pretty nice. If you can go used, and Orange Tiny Terror or Dual Terror would certainly suit your needs. I myself have a Peavey Delta Blues, which I love, but it might be a bit out of your price range (unless, again, you go used), and though the Classic 30 is almost the same amp, to me, it only sounds so-so.
Personally id try to find a used gibson lp studio, ive been seeing a lot of early 90s lp studios going for $500-600. Than i would use whats left over to get a decent tube combo also used. Than if you can stretch your budget little more, put a coil splitting pups in or do that further down the road.

Or go with an hss configuration.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300