Just bought an LTD guitar body for an upcoming project. Along the lower edge of the guitar, it's very rough and the paint has been chipped off. Seriously, it looks like the guy dragged it across pavement or something. I want to sand it smooth so I can re-finish the body after I strip off the current coat of paint. What grit sandpaper should I use to sand this down smooth?
Attachments:
Roughedge2.jpg
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I'd start around 120 grit and move gradually move up to about 600. It's not going to make it perfect because it'll take some sanding to get that out and the surface will no longer be flat. You could fill or patch it if it's really bad but hopfully it isn't, the edge might need some filling though.
Thanks for the advice. There's a chip on the lower side too, I'll probably just hit them both with filler if needed. This body's been through it, haha. And here I thought that wiring was going to be a challenge on this build...
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I just did this with a tele that I'm building. My cat knocked the body down 1 Flight of wood stairs. It took a chunk out of the finish all the way to bare wood.I used a little glazing puddy and I was able to get all the dings/chips filled. the biggest being on the edge similar to yours. this will work well with solid colors, not traslucent paint, so take this into consideration. But it dries really quickly and is easily sanded. you cant even tell that anything happened to my guitar now.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For aggressive work I really like using a file instead of coarse sandpaper. I find sandpaper digs deeper in soft spots but the file keeps the 'cut depth' more consistent. The file does tend to leave more long straight scratches, which are very easy to spot, where as the sandpaper scratches are shorter and often circular and sometime only visible from certain angles. so after I get close to what I want, I switch to 480 and 600 sandpaper, to clear out the scratches, and finish off with steal wool.

Note: steel wool breaks up into little bits that fall onto your socks but can easily be collected by your guitar's pickups. This may be handier than bringing in a shopvac, but its tricky to get all the little metal hairs off your pickup. I suggest you try to keep your sanding activity away from your assembled guitars.