Hi everyone, I just have a quick question about locking tuners. I've recently become pretty interested in getting all of my guitars swapped out with locking tuners, ever since I picked up my LTD. I was just wondering what brands I should be looking into. I've heard sperzel are pretty good, anyone have any other suggestions? Budget isn't really an issue, I'm just looking for quality
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
They'll all be about the same quality. My room mate has Planetwaves on his Tele and some from GuitarFetish on his SG. The GFS ones look to be of higher quality, but he says both have never given him any problems and it's been like two years with both. So you don't have to go all out and spend excess money.
I dunno how much it really mattes. I have Sperzels on two guitars and they work great. I would likely continue with Sperzel locking simply because I already have them and haven't had a single issue. I guess I'd just find a reputable locking tuner that won't break the bank and roll with it.
Quote by gucio93
Hi everyone, I just have a quick question about locking tuners. I've recently become pretty interested in getting all of my guitars swapped out with locking tuners, ever since I picked up my LTD. I was just wondering what brands I should be looking into. I've heard sperzel are pretty good, anyone have any other suggestions? Budget isn't really an issue, I'm just looking for quality

You answered your own question LOL
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
You answered your own question LOL

How so? I asked for more suggestions haha. So Chad, these GFS ones your roommate has are working fine? How long has he had them for now? I don't mind spending more but if I can buy basically the same thing for cheaper I'll definitely spring for the one that costs less haha
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
let me tell yeah, i dont know if you have other guitars with locking tuners on them already, but they are a pain in the ass at first to figure out haha at least they were for me
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by M_16A
let me tell yeah, i dont know if you have other guitars with locking tuners on them already, but they are a pain in the ass at first to figure out haha at least they were for me

No worries, already got a set on one of my guitars and I love em. That's what made me want to get em for my other ones!
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by Chad11491
They'll all be about the same quality. My room mate has Planetwaves on his Tele and some from GuitarFetish on his SG. The GFS ones look to be of higher quality, but he says both have never given him any problems and it's been like two years with both. So you don't have to go all out and spend excess money.

When you say the ones on GFS, you mean these ones right?
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Fender-Style-Six-on-a-Side_c_24.html

I wanna get locking tuners for my new MIM Strat as well, which is why I'm asking to make sure, cause I've never bought from them before
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Quote by gucio93
How so? I asked for more suggestions haha. So Chad, these GFS ones your roommate has are working fine? How long has he had them for now? I don't mind spending more but if I can buy basically the same thing for cheaper I'll definitely spring for the one that costs less haha

You pretty much said you like Sperzel Locking Tuners.

They're all pretty much the same including cost unless you can get a deal at a local store...

I put some Fender Schaller branded ones on a MIM strat with Wilkinson style bridge (two point setup to float) they stayed in tune about as well as LFR JT580 on my Dinky.
You have to do some pretty extreme stuff with the whammy bar to go out of tune.

Changing strings is way less of hassle than a FR. The trade off is not being able to pull near as sharp as a back routed floyd.

Using them with a tune-o-matic I'll say it's pretty close to go impossible to go out of tune.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
If its tuning stability you're worried about, the nut is much more important than the tuners and bridge. Even with the best locking tuners and bridge you can get, if the nut isn't cut properly, the guitar won't stay in tune.
Quote by rami80
Grover

+1

I have these on two of my guitars. They work great. I don't have to worry about bending strings at a 90 degree angle and hoping they don't slip while tuning.
Quote by Willowthewitch
You pretty much said you like Sperzel Locking Tuners.

They're all pretty much the same including cost unless you can get a deal at a local store...

I put some Fender Schaller branded ones on a MIM strat with Wilkinson style bridge (two point setup to float) they stayed in tune about as well as LFR JT580 on my Dinky.
You have to do some pretty extreme stuff with the whammy bar to go out of tune.

Changing strings is way less of hassle than a FR. The trade off is not being able to pull near as sharp as a back routed floyd.

Using them with a tune-o-matic I'll say it's pretty close to go impossible to go out of tune.

I said I heard sperzels are pretty good, haha. Never used the in my life. I think I might just snag some off of gfs. That way I save a bit of money, which is always good since I'm also planning on getting a set of bkps in the near future
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
You mentioned an LTD? I put sperzels on my LTD and it's been great. Had to drill some tiny holes but you cant even see them. (the sperzels have a little piece that anchors into the headstock- thus needed the new holes).

like the others have said, you can't really go wrong with any of the top brands. which is good news.
-Gibson SG special - faded brown
-ESP LTD MH400NT w/ EMG 81 - 85
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
i have tried both the "true" mechanical lock tuners and the thumbscrew tuners from gfs and they are both very good. however the thumbscrew ones are a little more convenient to use. i got the other kind to try them out and they were a few dollars cheaper. but both still great tuners.
I've bought a couple sets of the "sperzel style" tuners. So far I've had no complaints at all, especially for that price level.